cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Stroll down Memory Lane: 10+ years on this Forum

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2008 a vital part of my day has been a quick check to see what's happening on this Forum. Over the past year I have found myself not checking in so often and during the past month; hardly at all. So I went back and reviewed 10 years of Private Messages, seeing names and recalling places and events that I had forgotten. I have made some great friends, gotten a world of information, and my life has been enhanced but things have changed and I think it may be time to wander on. The warmth and helpfulness and delight in sharing the wonderful world of camping/RV-ing doesn't seem to be here anymore.Or maybe it's just me? There is a lot of competition on social media also. Other sites have easier formats and I can actually post photos. Good Luck and happy traveling to everyone. lizzie
63 REPLIES 63

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
RV.net and other public forums are generally tracking the trend in the rest of the nation. There is less civility, no patience and intolerance for just about everything. As opposed to FB, we at least have a common thread and experiences to bind us together (somewhat).

If people would just pause a second or 2 before clicking the Post Message button and re-read what they're about to post, the world would be a better place.

Also, the general lack of a sense of humor and a hyper sensitivity to all things "inappropriate" makes everything a little less fun.

Happy trails lizzie. Next time I head for HoHum I'll PM you so we can have lunch.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I started way back in 2008 also and as you can see I'm 5 months behind on reading the different threads & haven't posted any replies cuz I'm so far behind. There are 1480 different threads in my inbox, which means there's thousands of posts within those threads I need to go through or just delete to get back to current posts of November 2018. I got a life and it ain't on social media. But what I have read, I wanta say thanks to the posters that have contributed positively for the great info. I have learned a great deal & if I do get through the rest of the 1480 threads will undoubtedly learn allot more...Thank you.

Milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer this forum, and even buy Camping World/GS stuff to keep this forum supported.

I have seen so much drama in the Facebook groups, be it class "C" people and class "A" people, guns, boondocking, where pages upon pages of threads are person attacks against the person and their family.

Here, the same subjects pop up, but the bile and venom is not present. I don't read forum discussions where a troll starts asking if someone's kid is a juvi delinquent, or if their daughter is "servicing" the high school football teem, like I do on Facebook and forums there.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Been coming on this forum for lots of years -- 2002 -- and get great info when we need it. I just ignore the rants - might even rant myself occasionally, so others can ignore me too.

But generally, we have a bunch of great folks on here, and I still get info and contribute when I can. At least we don't get political rants, and fake news here like on FB and other social pages. That junk posts and clutter makes it less fun on FB etc, and when we come here, it's generally worth it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been on lots of forums over the years, and there's usually a few posters that come in and comment that the forum just isn't what they remember it to be. Mostly it is, it's the memories that aren't quite what they used to be. The past is usually seen through rose colored glasses, lots of "Remember when...", "Wasn't it great when...", "I wish it was still like it was when...". But mostly it's just like it has always been, although since the moderators have locked down the forum more it tends to be a bit less fun.

And Facebook is no substitute for a good forum. Too much trash on Facebook.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
Since 2008 a vital part of my day has been a quick check to see what's happening on this Forum. Over the past year I have found myself not checking in so often and during the past month; hardly at all. So I went back and reviewed 10 years of Private Messages, seeing names and recalling places and events that I had forgotten. I have made some great friends, gotten a world of information, and my life has been enhanced but things have changed and I think it may be time to wander on. The warmth and helpfulness and delight in sharing the wonderful world of camping/RV-ing doesn't seem to be here anymore.Or maybe it's just me? There is a lot of competition on social media also. Other sites have easier formats and I can actually post photos. Good Luck and happy traveling to everyone. lizzie

No - its not you. Here's a recent exchange from the Tow Vehicles forum.

manley wrote:
My dad is getting out of RVing for health reasons. He has sold his travel trailer, and thinks he might want to sell his truck as well. I donโ€™t believe he should, because he canโ€™t replace it for what heโ€™d get out of selling it... thus, this question:

What is a clean 2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 2WD, 8.1, Allison transmission, extended cab, loaded (except leather), with 95,XXX miles, worth?

Thanks in advance.

DutchmenSport wrote:
His truck, let him do what he wants. Don't push too hard for your inheritance yet. It's still his money and property, not yours.

I find myself coming here less and less. I've found a few other forums that can be described as what your remembering about this one.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
only 7 yrs on this forum and it is kinda boring now for me ๐Ÿ™‚
but I check in, see what is doing.

I like iRV2 forum. It has more postings and jumps faster than this one. This one is kinda stagnant now.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
These forums today don't seem a whole lot different than when I joined. I still check them almost every day. Great people sharing information.

Sure, there will always be the "negative nellies", but that is everywhere - part of the spice of life!

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I don't tweet, glitter, flitter and the only facebook I do is when I read one. I have been on this forum a long time. I do check each day when home and respond when I have something to contribute. Over the years I have noticed some strong opinions but I don't worry about those. You can still glean some good info on this forum if you don't get caught up in trying to win every battle.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Don't go away; then there would only be one of us Wakulla people present!
-jbh-

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Rock Wells wrote:
Crowe wrote:

Not you. Very true and very disheartening. I do very little on Facebook so I hang here and just deal with the people who ridicule, shame, criticize and ride their high horse. Sorry to see you go but I fully understand.

X2

x3
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I know I don't reply to certain forum members post because of thier rudeness but do appreciate the help I have received and hope I have been able to help others.

Not long ago a person asked for information on schwintek slide system, when I mentioned checking Google and RV dealers service department for information I was ridiculed.

Then you have people that have a issue with tires, water tank, frame or something else and you get a host of people saying they never had a issue. Those post don't help the people having the problem and turn off a lot of new member's.

Tow vehicle forum threads usually deteriorate into arguments with the same people that usually digress into something different then what the post was about.

Yes RV.NET has some issues but it also has some of the best people as well.

I have noticed a lot of older members have passed since I joined many years ago which is sad but inevitable.

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
This is kind of sad...I don't do Facebook and rely on this site for my RV conversations, so please check in and don't go away forever?
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for the positive and upbeat responses. My faith in the Forum is restored. The helpers are still out there but,like me, don't chime in as much. Trekker is right, I am a different poster than I was 10 years ago. I think that I will continue to "check in" for time to time to see if I can learn anything new or help someone else. Camp On!

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:

Lizzie,
All communities change. You are probably not the same "poster" you were 10 years ago. But remember, there have always been heated discussions on this forum. Yet good times are still shared all of the time, and good information disseminated often.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK