cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Stroll down Memory Lane: 10+ years on this Forum

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2008 a vital part of my day has been a quick check to see what's happening on this Forum. Over the past year I have found myself not checking in so often and during the past month; hardly at all. So I went back and reviewed 10 years of Private Messages, seeing names and recalling places and events that I had forgotten. I have made some great friends, gotten a world of information, and my life has been enhanced but things have changed and I think it may be time to wander on. The warmth and helpfulness and delight in sharing the wonderful world of camping/RV-ing doesn't seem to be here anymore.Or maybe it's just me? There is a lot of competition on social media also. Other sites have easier formats and I can actually post photos. Good Luck and happy traveling to everyone. lizzie
63 REPLIES 63

skyflyer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't post much but still read a lot.
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR
2016 chevy Silverado

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Anybody besides Barney and myself remember when there was less than 5000 much less when we hit 10,000 registered members.....Even 100K was a cheer day per say........

Yep I was around then... and still check in frequently to see what's happening in this Forum. Wow it has really changed over the 17+ years.
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

blt2ski
Anybody besides Barney and myself remember when there was less than 5000 much less when we hit 10,000 registered members.....Even 100K was a cheer day per say........
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
10 years for you, coming up on 15 for me!
I can remember the day I joined, I was looking for help figuring out how to get a toilet flange off the floor.

I'll never forget the rebuild project you had going then. :B

At that time I had just replaced all of the exterior walls and roof of a 5th wheel. Goofey things we do......
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
et2 wrote:
I visit here daily. One other RV forum weekly. But this is my come to place. I will never do face book or any "social media" stuff. I have no reason for the world to know everything about me. Those I share my life with, I enjoy talking to them in person or over the phone. I have serious issue with social media, but will keep my opinions to myself.

X2 on that! I agree completely with your well stated position.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I visit here daily. One other RV forum weekly. But this is my come to place. I will never do face book or any "social media" stuff. I have no reason for the world to know everything about me. Those I share my life with, I enjoy talking to them in person or over the phone. I have serious issue with social media, but will keep my opinions to myself.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I am the original OP for this post, can't believe it has been going on for six months. Funny but I had stopped checking the Forum until I started getting notifications that this post was still active. Now I am lurking again! The fact is, I haven't found anything to really replace it. I am very happy with a group of ladies who RV in my area but for technical advice, this is still my "go to" Forum.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason I joined Facebook is that I have a few friends/acquaintances where Facebook is the only way to keep in touch (high school and college friends). For that purpose it works well.

The slowness of postings here has caused me to look into other RV sites that are more active. The Sprinters site (halfway thinking of buying a small RV in addition to the class A), has a thread that is for total political chat and it is very rough over there.

iRV2 has a treasure-trove of threads that are more in depth than here. I also have never been able to post pics here and gave up a long time ago (no interest now).

The Prevost site is simple for posting pics, just click on the pic icon, select the pic I want to post from my collection and voila, it's there, easy peasy.

Safe travels!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I belong to several Facebook camping groups. I find them entertaining and useful. It's a younger crowd for the most part than the bunch here at RV.net, with a lot of newbies and families with young kids. Most are focused on a geographical area or particular interest such as restoring old campers, etc.

Like any other forum, the key is effective moderation. Some have that, some do not. The key seems to be not allowing off topic posts, political or religious posts, or commercial sellers. Facebook groups are all pages that are started and run by Facebook users, so they do vary a lot.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harvey51 wrote:
snip...
Storing thousands of photos can be costly for free forums. Even Photobucket gave up on it and many photos were lost. After that event an RV.net member created a really reliable and easy tool: Photoposting
snip... Thanks very much to Imgur and the creator of that Photoposting is fun site.

snip...

That member would be our own Technology Corner forum moderator - 1492.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
can't post a photo??? This topic comes up ALL the time. The Photo Posting link works so well I use it on other sites.

Me, too.
Storing thousands of photos can be costly for free forums. Even Photobucket gave up on it and many photos were lost. After that event an RV.net member created a really reliable and easy tool: Photoposting
Just drag a photo file to its box or click Select to choose a photo on a phone or tablet. The site automatically reduces size to 640x480 to avoid display troubles, then displays a standard IMG link that you just copy and paste into the post you are typing. The photo is stored at IMGUR and if you keep that link handy, it can be used in any forum or email. Thanks very much to Imgur and the creator of that Photoposting is fun site.

Iโ€™m at an age when I find changes troublesome. Thank goodness this forum is staying as it was - I know how to use it and am very comfortable here. Over the years Iโ€™ve suffered from very few rude comments. Facebook is scary - once you join your phone number and email are advertising tools. YouTube explanations zoom by my eyes too fast so I miss critical parts. And most important, the forum is the only tool where the learner can ask questions and receive answers from those who have done it. Long Live RV.net and itโ€™s portals without the % character bug.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot imagine how long the learning curve would have been without Rv.net 10 years ago for me. Like all others, one needs to weed out and withstand misinformation and misdeeds, but overall, I find most of the info still relevant. I just dont have a huge need to post anymore. I mostly hang around for the next Superlube hub arguments, LOL! I still check in a few times a week.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Rv.Net needs a facelift of some kind. It's worn out. A great place to get info but I find it is faster and more reliable to use YouTube videos for DIY, towing issues, and boondocking.

I used to look forward, every evening, checking the Mexico forum. Now there are only a few of the same old hangers on that have offended Mexican rvers and it doesn't attract anyone new to rving in Mexico. No one posts new rv parks, camping spots, national and state parks. Today it is mostly bitter comments about how Mexico has changed or how it used to be and non-factual information.

Groups on Facebook make it easy to do searches and are more specific to area, rv type, and rving lifestyle.

Nothing is forever.

I have been on the forum for more than 4 years (not same screen name due to email change for security purposes)

I have to agree completely with this sentiment and add that while the Mexico forum is a good example of self immolation, It is not just the Mexico forum that gets dominated at times by those that, while here for a long time and have a reputation for knowing a lot, but sometimes are expounding out of date or just wrong information and some of those "Old Timers" are just biased in one direction or another often shouting down opposing views.

The all but complete death of the Workcamping forum is a good example. NO discussion, no dissention and no opinion is allowed there on what could and really should be one of the more useful and active forums on this site.

Rather than look at other RV sites for comparison I urge you to go to the Rick Steves Travel Forums to see how a really diverse, opinionated group of posters can be handled truly effectively and with empathy by a team of truly great Moderators. Also the site is easy to use and responsive. A real template for how this can work better.

As for the idea that the forum is less friendly and cooperative than it used to be. In reality the forum is just reflecting our society at large in it's divisions, hatreds and incivility. There should be no surprise in that. And if you doubt that just look at any discussion of trailer tires. A discussion that often breaks down over political lines and becomes an analogy for political views. IE China vs the US played out on the field of tire manufacturing.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
This website is my only โ€œsocial mediaโ€. I check โ€œParks/Campgroundsโ€ & โ€œRoads/Routesโ€ every day and the rest of my favorite subjects about 1x/wk...this is that day.

RV.Net has been invaluable to me. I know the State of Washington like the back of my hand, but this blog + my Road Atlas have always been the go-to information source for our trips to the Black Hills, Glacier NP, N. Calif, Yellowstone, etc., even before I have begun researching locales on the internet. Of our small group of friends my DW and I were the first to stow the camping tents and buy a TT nearly 20 years ago so we were pretty much on our own. This blog + experience have been an excellent teacher. Now that we all are retired, those old friends now own RVโ€™s of one sort or another, and I have encouraged them to sign up here...most havenโ€™t. In my opinion RVโ€™ing without using a resource like this is pretty much โ€œseat of the pantsโ€ camping, but that is their choice. Iโ€™m just not a โ€œseat of the pantsโ€ kind of guy.

Thanks to all of you old timers who have stuck it out here with me. We are reaping the benefits.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!