cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I about to make a huge mistake?

st_ryder64
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, gang. I recently negotiated and decided to buy a practically mint condition 2010 Toyota RAV4 AWD that's out on the west coast, and was just about to send them a cashier's check when I noticed something...the car is modified to be towed behind an RV; there's a tow bar mounted on the front of the car.

Having no experiencing with a car that's been used as a toad, I started googling, and found out that Toyota unequivocally does not recommend using this particular make/model car for this purpose. Same same found on the RAV4 forum. But used it was, and for more than a few trips, apparently.

I'm nowhere near the seller, so I sent a trusted friend of mine who knows cars to kick the tires and take it for a test drive. He gave it a glowing review, so my question to you: With all the DIRE warnings about flat towing an automatic AWD RAV4 of this generation, would any damage have shown up on a test drive? Or are the differentials and/or transfer cases just filled with chunks of metal and shavings now, waiting to ruin my entire day down the road? Taking it to a dealer for an inspection is problematic, as I would rather not inconvenience my friend that much, but I suppose it's an option. Assuming the seller would agree...it's a seller's market for used cars these days, as we all know, and they might just tell me to pound salt.

I'm going to reach out to the seller this afternoon after I hear back from you guys, so I'm armed with proper information. They're an older retired couple who've been RV'ing, but sold their RV and now don't need their RAV anymore, they say. They SEEM like honest folk, from what we can determine...
10 REPLIES 10

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If Remco listed a towing kit for a 2010 Toyota RAV4 AWD, then it's NO problem. Remco did their research before they offered a pump kit for any vehicle.
I towed a 2003 PT Cruiser automatic for several years with a Remco pump kit. The car is still in service by the 3rd owner.
What is not mentioned is the mileage. When towing NO mileage is registered on the odometer. So you don't know how many miles are on the running gear.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't believe I would buy one the manufacturer says 'no tow'. Too many Jeeps and other types that don't care if you tow them or not.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
st.ryder64 wrote:
Hey, gang. I recently negotiated and decided to buy a practically mint condition 2010 Toyota RAV4 AWD that's out on the west coast, and was just about to send them a cashier's check when I noticed something...the car is modified to be towed behind an RV; there's a tow bar mounted on the front of the car.

Having no experiencing with a car that's been used as a toad, I started googling, and found out that Toyota unequivocally does not recommend using this particular make/model car for this purpose. Same same found on the RAV4 forum. But used it was, and for more than a few trips, apparently.

I'm nowhere near the seller, so I sent a trusted friend of mine who knows cars to kick the tires and take it for a test drive. He gave it a glowing review, so my question to you: With all the DIRE warnings about flat towing an automatic AWD RAV4 of this generation, would any damage have shown up on a test drive? Or are the differentials and/or transfer cases just filled with chunks of metal and shavings now, waiting to ruin my entire day down the road? Taking it to a dealer for an inspection is problematic, as I would rather not inconvenience my friend that much, but I suppose it's an option. Assuming the seller would agree...it's a seller's market for used cars these days, as we all know, and they might just tell me to pound salt.

I'm going to reach out to the seller this afternoon after I hear back from you guys, so I'm armed with proper information. They're an older retired couple who've been RV'ing, but sold their RV and now don't need their RAV anymore, they say. They SEEM like honest folk, from what we can determine...

If you were looking specifically for a vehicle to tow, this one has $4K or so of work done to it already to make it ready. If you're looking just for a daily driver, look elsewhere. No reason to take the risk of drivetrain damage.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tyler0215 wrote:
Why even consider buying a RAV4 you have never seen that is across the country when you could buy one local.? Toyota made a million of them, find one close to home you can see and drive before you buy.

Have to agree with Tyler. Is there something special about this RAV4 that makes it worth going through all this hassle?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak to this particular vehicle of course, but as far as towing a 2010 RAV4, I can only say our 2011 equipped with a Remco pump is approaching 30,000 towing miles since it was new without a single transmission issue. Our dealer was impressed enough that he took on the Remco product RV line until Remco stopped selling them due the proliferation of CVT transmissions that could not be adapted. Our pump is on it's second RAV4, having started on 2002 in 2008. That one is still going strong too, as our daughter's second car.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Why even consider buying a RAV4 you have never seen that is across the country when you could buy one local.? Toyota made a million of them, find one close to home you can see and drive before you buy.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you may be making a mistake. The dealer may have someone else like Remco install the pump. Be aware that as of 2020 Remco stopped producing the pumps, no reason given.

I've only towed cars that were approved by the mfg. There are at least 3 reasons why mfgs may not approve modification for towing.
1. Liability
2. Car stability/tracking when towed
3. Drive line or other possible issues

Modification could void any warranty, can't imagine a 2010 car has any warranty. Does the RAV4 have an aux brake and what kind?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

st_ryder64
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, just called the seller. They informed me that, when they bought the car, they had it modified with an add-on pump that circulates fluid to the appropriate moving parts during tows, which I've seen mentioned in other forums as being one of the things needed. Not sure that makes this a done deal, but it's certainly good to know they were aware and made moves.

They gave me their dealership's name and phone, but I can't imagine getting anything useful from that source. If nothing's ever gone wrong, as they say, then...there's nothing to report. And other than a look under the car for leaks and a function test, I don't know if a dealer can tell if a driveline issue is impending.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and on the other side it could be a great auto,really a take a chance thing.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
thats why the org owner is dumping it, run don,t walk .