cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I Crazy?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I am strongly considering buying a new TT this week. I have always liked the Keystone Outback 301BQ, even before we purchased our current TT. Now we have a more capable TV than 5 years ago. It has all the changes/upgrades after the experience without our North Trail. The floorplan was discontinued last fall I believe. Looking at other models now or if we wait a few years, we would sacrifice something - fewer features, 36-37' vs. 33', and certainly cost more $, about $5-7k than what I think I can pay for this 301.

The negatives: it's 700 miles away - at a Camping World. I'm not opposed to driving to get it. But it does take some commitment to spend 2+ days that may be a waste. I have not heard anything good about buying from Camping World, but hopefully it's because most buyers are inexperienced.

I need a bike rack solution. We take 5 bikes every trip. Current TT has a slide out rack on the back which I use for 3 bikes currently and two on the roof rack of the Burb. Most likely solution seems to be a frame mounted receiver. We do already have a 4-bike receiver mounted rack.

I need a WDH. While happy with the Reese Strait Line, I do not want to transfer it. I think I want to try the EQ this time. I have no idea if CW can get it or will install it correctly. I may swing by RVW on the way down to buy it and install myself.

I pretty much have to get it done this week/weekend. Next weekend we have plans and the following is the next trip. After that this model may be sold and it gets late to try to sell current one. We don't need to sell/trade current one in order to buy, but I don't want two TTs for long either, like all winter.

So, would you rush to make something like this happen?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)
11 REPLIES 11

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't rush, but I can see why the Outback has appeal. A true bedroom for the adults, and a more open floorplan.

I do see 2 things that worry me about the Outback (if I'm reviewing the right floorplans). First, can you access the bathroom without moving the slide? Of course only you can decide how important that is for your family.

Second, it looks like I'd have a hard time bending over into the bathroom sink (think toothbrushing) without my backside trying to go out through the door. I'm 6'3", so again that's a specific issue that might not impact your family.

Good luck and keep us updated.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP is willing to drive the distance because he wants this specific make, model, year for the asking price.

I don't think he's crazy if this is the ONE he really wants and is willing to make the drive.

My wife and I went for a Saturday drive over 200 miles, just so "she" could get a cup of tea from a cafe she saw on one of those travel shows on television. Crazy ... nope! She was happy, that's all that mattered!

As they say in the Army.... "no pain, no gain!" If you want it, you've got to pay the price! The price may be distance! but there's still the price! Nothing crazy about wanting something specific and going to any extreme to get it!

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I'll say it, I believe you are crazy. ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL

I wouldn't rush it. As it is, you have already found a "2nd" unit. To me this means there may be a 3rd or a 4th or a 5th... What typically happens in a situation like this is you invest so much time in long distance "looking" and then finally go see it, and you feel like you have too much invested to walk away, so you make a rash decision.

I have no idea what it means to "import" something like a TT from canada back here to michigan. When I was first looking at ours, I almost bought in ohio and just trying to figure out sales tax and all that stuff state to state seemed like a lot to deal with. I would think country to country might be worse.

I would look around here and see if you can find something closer to home. Even if it is used, shop used prices against each other. A lot of times people have to unload them for one reason or the other and will deal. Even dealers will deal because they probably stole it on a trade anyways.

I bought in michigan because at the last minute I called a local dealer and shopped price with them on the unit in ohio. They matched the deal, and saved me a 4-500 mile round trip.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our 5th wheel last June after a much too crowded stay in our TT over a rainy Memorial Day weekend. We sold our TT a year after purchasing the 5th wheel.

Is the TT you're looking at new or used? I would drive 700 to look at a new RV but not a used. We looked at too many stinky used 5th wheels to ever drive that far for the disappointment.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
So if you can't sell the old one now, hold on to it until spring. Or just trade it and save the hassles. One thing I've noticed in WI and the UP, large used trailers aren't moving. I've been seeing a lot of the same trailers for sale the past 2 seasons. Small trailers move like hotcakes. I wish I hadn't traded our old 17' and sold it myself instead.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I may not have been clear. I owe nothing on my current TT. I don't need to sell it or trade it to buy another one. I just don't need two TTs and I assume it is worth more in season than 1-6 months from now in Michigan.

I found one slightly closer in Canada. That seems even more complicated, but at least the exchange rate is favorable.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We had a situation where we wanted our current trailer and couldn't buy it right at the time that was most convenient. We had to wait. One week before our first trip in May of 2013 we were finally in a position to do it. We went, looked, bought the week before. We did the PDI and delivery the day before the trip. Got it home and had to load it.

While we love the trailer and are not sorry we bought it, in hindsight we should have waited until after that trip. It was a stressful week that should have been a lot more fun. Had we waited we probably would have gotten a better price, and had more time to breath. And we were not in a situation of being upside down, no way I would have done it then.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
So, would you rush to make something like this happen?

Not a chance. I'm as avid a camper / RV owner as anyone here but this is just a camper you're talking about here, not a major house purchase. I can't imagine why you'd turn yourself upside down just to make this happen on such a short notice, driving so far to a dealer you don't think you trust, only to take such a significant loss, all because you're in the mood for a different model. :h Hard as it may seem to believe there will always be another. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
See the Private Message I just sent you, please.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
You appear to painting yourself in a corner. The desired rig is pretty far away to do an in depth evaluation of all the components. You may very well end up with two RV's and the season is half over depending on where you live and camp. Selling the old rig may be a loser for you. I like the o/p's suggestion to hae CW move it closer for you. After all they are in the business, and something is always being moved to a new location.

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
If its at a camping world and you are really ready to buy it, ask them to transfer it for you to your closest CW.
The EQ is a good hitch set up. You could do it like it needs to be done and if the dealership is a good one they will set up right first time. RVW is where I bought several items for my TT and now my 5er some of the best online prices and the shipping is free if over a certain amount of money is spent.
I hope everything works out for you and your family.
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC