cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ammo question...just a reply or two

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, can I bring AMMO back from west through many states...just ammo?
Will I need a permit or anything to buy that in vegas?
Donna
19 REPLIES 19

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned. Some states with LOTS of crime try to restrict your right to protect yourself. New Jersey, I believe, even outlaws having 22 caliber hollow points.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the ammo , just don't tell anyone you have it , oops too late

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Some places have bans on certain kinds of ammo which are stricter than federal law (armor piercing usually) but if what you are hauling is conventional stuff you should be good.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I will have him check online to purchase before I sign up for this.
He did find the gun of his choice online cheaper.
Thank you,
Donna

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
As far as I am aware, the majority of laws regarding firearms don't usually relate to ammo by itself. .

Some states require you to produce ID and sign for anything that fits a handgun.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
buy it where ever you can.

md2lgyk
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are pulled over and subsequently arrested, or foolishly give consent, your vehicle cannot legally be searched (former police officer talking here). Just make sure no ammo is in plain view.

The only place you might possibly be searched is upon entering a military base. We use military campgrounds a lot, and that has happened to us a couple of times. But they were not true searches, just cursory walkthroughs of the trailer.
"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy and carry any amount you want legally. Typically it's less expensive to buy online and have it shipped directly to your home. When I fly there's a 5kg limit to ammo carried and it has to be in a box that has seperations between rounds. Recently I had to unload the magazines but most airlines don't require that, and no one wanted to even look inside the gun box, just sign that it's unloaded and into checked baggages it goes. Gun Shows are attractive, but I've found better firearms through the popular auction site and ammo prices better shipped directly. One licensed dealer ships to another, after the waiting period I pick up the firearm and pay the fee for pickup, pretty inexpensive actually as any licensee can do this for you. The NRA can outline whatever restrictions there are on your particular locale and are the best place to get this kind of information. Join a firearms forum of your choice and start saving money and adding to your collection and skills.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who do you think would stop you and search your camper?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
I see your profile says New York state so you are from a state that does restrict most anything firearms related. I am from Illinois so am not totaly familiar with NY but there are other states in that area that you may have problems. I don't know what states your route will take you through but will try to give you a heads up. NJ, MA and RI are pretty bad, IIRC there are some states that have outlawed hollow points and others that consider a loaded magazine the same as having a loaded gun even if you don't have a gun with you. I suggest going to www.handgunlaw.us this is a place for information on carrying legaly but it also gives links to each state's web site concerning their gun laws. Jim.

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
I see your profile says New York state so you are from a state that does restrict most anything firearms related. I am from Illinois so am not totaly familiar with NY but there are other states in that area that you may have problems. I don't know what states your route will take you through but will try to give you a geads up. NJ, MA and RI are pretty bad, IIRC there are some states that have outlawed hollow points and others that consider a loaded magazine the same as having a loaded gun even if you don't have a gun with you. I suggest going to www.handgunlaw.us this is a place for information on carrying legaly but it also gives links to each state's web site concerning their gun laws. Jim.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Why wouldn't you be able to bring AMMO back from west through many states?:h
HR

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no problem at all. But, in some states, you might get hassled if the ammunition is inserted into magazines (aka clips). If you have it in the original packaging or ammunition cans, you will not be in violation.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have found that many gun shops and stores that sell ammo are limiting the purchase of certain types of ammo to 2 boxes. You might not be able to buy as much as you think at one time.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi