cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Completely Redo Their Interior?

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at keeping my current RV rather than getting a new one, I have problems with:

1) Ceiling. Dopes put carpeting in up there. It’s really gross.

2) Cabinets. American style and dark coloring instead of Europe’s style cabinets, which I prefer. Need new cabinet faces and lighter simulated wood

3) Counter. Bad formica job where they left the brown edge. Looks dated and meh.

4) Decorative refrigerator panel. Gross dark brown to match the cabinets.

5) Floor. Old linoleum needs to be updated with something new.

6) Dinette. Would like to replace it with two small recliners and stick a small dishwasher between them to act as a table

7) Need to update the solar. Need more of it, different charge controller.

😎 Carpeting around the floors. Old, stained, needs to be torn up and probably a different type of flooring put down.

9) New sink and stove/oven

10)) New truck or significant work needed on old truck.

11) new mattress

Is any of this worth it? Has anyone done a refit like this before? How many hours am I looking at?

There are vinyl trim pieces everywhere burying the roof carpet, walls, etc. looks difficult to replace properly.

I’m thinking it’s a $5000 project before getting the truck fixed or replacement. A lot cheaper than my other option which is buying a new truck and RV. I’m looking at $60-$70k for that and a bunch of work also. Would be doing a custom overland style in that case. This case is a truck camper redo.

How bad of an idea is this?
14 REPLIES 14

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Paint probably won't adhere to the cabinets very well, since they are mostly vinyl covered wood. The cabinet doors have been solid wood for quite a few years in AF campers though.

The appliances are really easy to replace. I installed a new range in my AF 992 as shown here

A/C is easy to replace too.

But I have to ask how on earth the ceiling and A/C unit got so nasty looking. The A/C control panels is just gross.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

That trim you refer to is called gimp molding.
It is common throughout the RV industry, and used specifically as a transition from walls, partitions, cabinets etc to the floor and ceiling. It works well to hide the cut edges of all panels, anywhere where they meet each other.
Google "gimp molding" and you will see it has the visible round part, and a little flap that gets stapled onto the various parts during construction.

Arctic Fox? You have an excellent, well built TC. IMO, AF build quality is superior over many others. Perhaps a hit heavy, but a sturdy unit. If there is no rot, it is worth doing mods to update it. What year is it?

That carpet has to go, it will look so much better with a modern looking theme. And that theme is totally up to your own taste, after all, it's yours.

Time frame? Be prepared to put some effort into it. It's not a weekend deal for sure. If you have access to inside shop, garage, warehouse, barn area out of the weather, you will spend far less time doing your mods. What you describe here I think could be done in perhaps a hundred to 150 hours or so. But this depends on your skill level too. Double that if you are learning as you go. Having the right tools is a big plus.

I did mine in my driveway, and I could not leave it open. Every night I had to put all the siding back on and cover the whole thing with tarps. Every single night without exception. Having inside space where you can just walk away every night is a huge asset.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Thank you. Makes sense. So I do have to install some kind of trim like that everywhere as well. I guess it’s not that difficult to do. I have always just found it looking a little unsightly. I come from a different level of craftsmanship I think. It’s a shortcut.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
AdvancedQs wrote:
Wow! That’s some excellent advice. Thank you, everyone. Especially BobsYourUncle.

The RV is a truck camper. Arctic Fox. It’s very solid. No leaks. I already own it. I was looking at changing RVs because I want something nicer inside and maybe a little more storage. I really don’t enjoy building things because I’ve done too much of that. However, any new options involve spending a lot of money I’d prefer to save and invest.

The one thing I am really uncertain about is how many hours this might take. The entire thing is only 18ft long and the non-bed part you can stand in is 9ft long. Tiny. But complicated.

A few more pics to describe the vinyl trim everywhere.

^this is the corner of a ceiling. Note the ceiling carpet, textured wallpaper and vinyl trim piece. This vinyl trim is everywhere.

^this is the floor. Stickers over 1/8” door skin like the cabinetry in this pic, lots of gross carpet and that brown vinyl piping.

^this is another corner of a ceiling near cabinetry. There is a brown vinyl piping any place there is cabinetry. Cabinetry is pressboard with a sticker on it to look like old style wood.

^this is the floor plan

That trim you call piping is standard and normal for RVs, it is a quick and inexpensive way for RV manufacturers to hide the butt ends of adjoining wall or cabinets.

You ARE going to get that even in "high end" brand new RVs and can't be avoided.

You can take a very sharp heavyduty sturdy knife (box cutter) and cut it off, then you will have to come back and cover over with some other form of trim, for corners you can buy wood corner molding and but joints in the middle of the wall board you will need flat wood trim. Of course, you would have to finish the new trim to your "tastes"..

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
I do know the construction of the ceiling. I believe it’s door skin plywood, vacuum bag to 6 inches or 8 inches of foam, with another layer of plywood on the outside of the RV.

I think the carpet is unfortunately glued to the door skin plywood on the inside.

We all have different taste in what we like, I don’t like this old-fashioned look. I like the modern clinical look. A lot of people are like me in the world. You just have a different opinion. That’s all. Everybody’s a little bit different with that stuff. For instance, I would buy the RV as I’m describing it in a heartbeat. So with a lot of other people. Some people don’t like the old-fashioned look. So it doesn’t affect the resale value at all. Not that it has any to begin with. It’s not new. You can tell by how old it looks.

And my cabinets are definitely particleboard. Arctic fox likes to say they have hardwood cabinets. But that’s just the door. The actual cabinetry is particleboard pressboard stuff with a sticker on it. That sticker is the wood grain coloring. Maybe the cabinets need to be painted instead.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
AdvancedQs wrote:
Im not looking at this as any way to increase value. I just can’t look at this gross old style of interior anymore. I’m making a transition to using my RV a lot more and want something nice.

Any ideas on hours involved in this project? Including ceiling?

It just seems a shame to discard an otherwise perfectly functional truck camper when the interior styling is the issue.

I’m looking to get this kind of interior as far as styling goes:

Is it possible and any estimate on hours involved?

Or is it just better to spend $30k to get it?

"White washed" wood look?

UGG..

Not enough contrast for my taste with white washed cabinets and floors plus the white/grey backsplash and counter.

To redo the cabinets you would have to remove the existing finish to get to the bare wood on the doors/drawers and cabinet faces. If you are lucky, you have solid real wood and not laminated veneer or worse yet vinyl material. Once the finish has been removed then you can proceed with a white wash treatment.

New counter tops shouldn't be much of an issue, depending if you are planning to leave existing counter in place and cover with new laminate over top or planning to replace with Corian solid surface counters..

Flooring can simply be done with stick on imitation wood look vinyl planks in your color choice. Of course since all of the flooring was put down before the walls and cabinets were placed, you will have to cut around those to remove any carpet that is present.

Ceiling is going to present some challenged to replace, very good chance that every inch of it is securely glued to a backer board and that backer board most likely is glued and stapled in place..

I suspect you are going to kill quite a few hundred hours of time into it and a few thousand in money and good chance kill chances of selling it easily down the road (monochrome somber grey tones makes it feel "clinical" or hospital like).

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Im not looking at this as any way to increase value. I just can’t look at this gross old style of interior anymore. I’m making a transition to using my RV a lot more and want something nice.

Any ideas on hours involved in this project? Including ceiling?

It just seems a shame to discard an otherwise perfectly functional truck camper when the interior styling is the issue.

I’m looking to get this kind of interior as far as styling goes:

Is it possible and any estimate on hours involved?

Or is it just better to spend $30k to get it?

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! That’s some excellent advice. Thank you, everyone. Especially BobsYourUncle.

The RV is a truck camper. Arctic Fox. It’s very solid. No leaks. I already own it. I was looking at changing RVs because I want something nicer inside and maybe a little more storage. I really don’t enjoy building things because I’ve done too much of that. However, any new options involve spending a lot of money I’d prefer to save and invest.

The one thing I am really uncertain about is how many hours this might take. The entire thing is only 18ft long and the non-bed part you can stand in is 9ft long. Tiny. But complicated.

A few more pics to describe the vinyl trim everywhere.

^this is the corner of a ceiling. Note the ceiling carpet, textured wallpaper and vinyl trim piece. This vinyl trim is everywhere.

^this is the floor. Stickers over 1/8” door skin like the cabinetry in this pic, lots of gross carpet and that brown vinyl piping.

^this is another corner of a ceiling near cabinetry. There is a brown vinyl piping any place there is cabinetry. Cabinetry is pressboard with a sticker on it to look like old style wood.

^this is the floor plan

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Solid advice from the previous poster, and I agree on the assessment. You do this for yourself and it's a labor of love not ROI. If you don't want it bad enough, then don't waste your time and just get something else instead - money is a lot easier to replace than time is.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

I have done all of that work you are describing, to a TT.

There is a certain logical sequence to do things in, based on the initial construction of the unit. They put them together in a certain order, and to redo something, you many times have to take a lot of stuff apart to properly access things.

I am putting up a website to assist people like you, but it is not quite ready to be launched. My site is nearly complete, but I have to proof read and test everything for mobile and desktop before I can launch it. Link in sig.

Do you have a place inside to do your work? I did my TT outside in my driveway. Wasn't very easy that's for sure.

Carpet on the ceiling - ugh! You'd have to peel it off and see whats under there to determine how to proceed. May have to remove the carpet, clean up the surface under it, then sand and paint.

If your cabinets are fastened from the inside only, it won't be too bad to redo them. It's harder when things are screwed in from the outside.

Counter isn't too bad, you can likely remove it with minimal effort.

Fridge panel is easy. Some minor disassembly and the panel comes out for replacement.

The floor needs to be one piece from front to back, side to side to do it right, but that involves taking a bunch of stuff out. The floor in my TT was replaced before I got it, and it is all curling up around everything because it isn't under the walls and cabinets. It looks terrible.

Dinette should be an easy one, most likely you can remove it from the inside.

Solar is easy, but you may need to fish wires to the roof.

Carpeting? Matter of opinion and taste. I hate carpet in an RV. It is a dirt magnet. I like all lino with small area carpets that can be removed for cleaning or easy replacement.

Sink, Stove and oven? Very easy to change out. It is one of the last things to go in, and it is fastened from the inside.

New truck? Buy two of them, I need one too! :B:B

Mattress is an easy fix. Depends on the size too. Many are RV specific. Measure and compare. A standard size will be cheaper. I replaced one in my last TT - bought an off the shelf one for about 400 bucks. Perfect.

Can you elaborate on the vinyl trim pieces? Where are they and what do they cover?

It is not a bad or a good idea. It totally depends on your own situation. I agree putting 5K into an otherwise solid unit is better than forking out huge dollars for a new one. The new ones are not without problems either. Many of them are trouble from day 1. But some are really good too. Won't get into brand comparing here.

If your unit is sound and has no rot issues, I would say that doing some mods would be a good idea. But if you have rotten corners or soft floors, then do take a serious look at the overall picture. I can attest from personal experience that fixing up a rotten RV is not worth the work.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
We took out all the carpets and replaced it with water proof laminate floor. We painted the bedroom, hallway, kitchen and living room and bathroom We also replaced the long sofa with a two seater and a table with 4 chairs
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds like a lot of work,there is one thing that I may be able to help with.As for the ceiling it is best to clean it,I had the same problem on my old RV and removing and replacing was not a great idea,what a mess and then I had to redo it,managed to get it done after a few months and many failures.

As for cleaning on my newest RV with the same type of carpeting.

I have had great luck with Folex,on my ceilings just spray it on and BLOT don't rub,you will be amazed at how it lifts out the stains.

It may take more than one application but it took out all of my stains.

You can get it at most big box home improvement stores or Amazon check out the reviews and the pictures,I had the same results!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
If you enjoy the work, and have the time, go for it. It will be for your own gratification, you will never get the money back. Start at the top and work down and you can also repair any water damage on the way.

I actually don’t enjoy the work and would be just doing it as a means to an end.

I have been on another huge, marine related project for almost a decade and I can’t stand it anymore.

It’s a really, really small space here, but I don’t have the foggiest idea how long it might take to resurface all of this stuff.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If you enjoy the work, and have the time, go for it. It will be for your own gratification, you will never get the money back. Start at the top and work down and you can also repair any water damage on the way.