cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning LED Light Strip

Explorer II
Explorer II
Our main awning has an LED strip in the tube, only usable when the awning is fully extended. We are replacing our old 15' Carefree awning. Rather than having them rewire the existing LEDs, we would prefer having an LED strip attached to the wall under the awning, using the existing 12V power wires. What's a good source for reliable, easily attachable outdoor LED strips?

Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.
Dave
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
17 REPLIES 17

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:

Yeah. That was a weird comment. LEDs aren't even that bright and you're just replacing what you already have.

A buddy I camp with (boondocking) has that LED strip right beneath his awning. He installed it in just the right spot so that it lights up his awning if it's deployed or casts some light on the ground if the awning is in.

Most of us just turn on our porch lights at night and he has his red LED strip. It makes it easy to navigate around camp without stumbling and without killing your night vision.

If Flyboy is camped so close to you that your LEDs kill his view of the stars, then he's breaking the unwritten code and camping way too close to you. He shouldn't be able to see much of your lights or hear your music. Sounds like he's close enough to smell you though. Not right.

dont have to be close for light polution to afect the sky. its a big issue with citys and such now. I have the led strip factroy on my 5th and while it doesent seam bright it does light up a lot, but I like it better than the "old" porch light. I dont know where this unwritten rule is from but it must only apply to boondocking as in a camprground you have sites layed out.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Yeah. That was a weird comment. LEDs aren't even that bright and you're just replacing what you already have.
He's entitled to his comments/concerns/gripes. He does have a legitimate gripe. Mine are screaming drunks, neighbors trying to burn rotten firewood, loud trucks and playing cornhole until 2am.

The LEDs I have now are integrated into the awning tube. They shine up on the under side on the awning and produce a nice glow on the ground. I can control their brightness by rolling them up close to the awning fabric. I won't be able to do that with what I mount on the wall so I'll need to install a dimmer.

Besides, I rarely use them anyway. The awning has to be rolled completely out to expose the LEDs. I'm replacing my awning and I have to decide what to do about the 12V wire that runs through the awning seam to power the existing LEDs. I decided it's time to install different LEDs that are more usable. I'm excited
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

dedmiston
2112 wrote:
LMAO
Don't worry Flyboy. We are pedestal hopping, full hookup, glampers. We are travelers, not camping anywhere you may be stargazing.

Let's make a deal. I promise I'll keep my lights to a minimum if you do the same with your nasty campfire smoke. Deal? :W

A buddy I camp with (boondocking) has that LED strip right beneath his awning. He installed it in just the right spot so that it lights up his awning if it's deployed or casts some light on the ground if the awning is in.

Most of us just turn on our porch lights at night and he has his red LED strip. It makes it easy to navigate around camp without stumbling and without killing your night vision.

If Flyboy is camped so close to you that your LEDs kill his view of the stars, then he's breaking the unwritten code and camping way too close to you. He shouldn't be able to see much of your lights or hear your music. Sounds like he's close enough to smell you though. Not right.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Explorer II
Explorer II
#1Flyboy wrote:
Please reconsider exterior lighting! With many folks lighting up the campground weโ€™re losing the camping experience of watching for shooting stars, satellites & planets. Then with the use of lighting, TVโ€™s, stereos, etc the generators are coming on disturbing another camping experience - the quiet not found in the cities from which the campers cameโ€ฆ or maybe Iโ€™m wrong but I thought that camping was to get away from all that stuff?
LMAO
Don't worry Flyboy. We are pedestal hopping, full hookup, glampers. We are travelers, not camping anywhere you may be stargazing.

Let's make a deal. I promise I'll keep my lights to a minimum if you do the same with your nasty campfire smoke. Deal? :W
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
A company named Recpro on Ebay sells a kit that is IP68 outdoor rated for about $50. The LED strip is encased in a waterproof silicone sleeve. The kit comes with plastic channels you attach to underside of the awning rail with included 3M tape, then the LED strip snaps into this channel. They make it this way as 3m tape will not stick to the silicone sleeve. The bad side is if you cut it to length you compromise the silicone encasement, but its available in different lengths. It is alsobonly sold in white or blue so you can't make the campground look like the Vegas strip of thats your thing.
RECPRO may be a winner. These are IP68 marine grade compliance.

They don't say what LED they use but from looking at some review photos they appear to be 2835s. I sent Recpro an email asking what they are, current draw per 15ft and if they are PWM controllable. I'm sure they are PWM dimmable but doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for all the quick replies and help
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I bought these for my MH.

LED light strip

They make a complete kit with power supply and remote. I put these on the awning rail at the wall and under the RV. Have had them for 3 years now and another set on our TT for 5 years.
Looks interesting - but says Waterproof and for indoor use only. Wondering how they have held up under the RV - still sticking?

They are still sticking to the awning rail/gutter. but they have not stuck very well underneath, i`m assuming from the heat, But when I finished the install I ziptied them to the plastic channel that I mounted them too. they are still snug and only loose in a few spots for a few inches each. not sure why they say indoor use, but I`ve used them outside for years with no issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

LED light strip

They make a complete kit with power supply and remote. I put these on the awning rail at the wall and under the RV. Have had them for 3 years now and another set on our TT for 5 years.
Looks interesting - but says Waterproof and for indoor use only. Wondering how they have held up under the RV - still sticking?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
โ€œ After 8 years, my current strip are more than half failed.โ€ That may be a record on how long they lasted... much longer than my experience, even with ones inside.
I have found the 5050 size chips run cooler and last longer.
Adding a 15ohm 1/2watt resistor in series on a long strip or 30 ohm on short strips, helps to keep the voltage below 12V as the strips are not voltage regulated.
Instead of strips, I use 48 5050 voltage regulated panels when converting fluorescent lights and under counter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Please reconsider exterior lighting! With many folks lighting up the campground weโ€™re losing the camping experience of watching for shooting stars, satellites & planets. Then with the use of lighting, TVโ€™s, stereos, etc the generators are coming on disturbing another camping experience - the quiet not found in the cities from which the campers cameโ€ฆ or maybe Iโ€™m wrong but I thought that camping was to get away from all that stuff?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer

LED light strip

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Explorer II
Explorer II
mleekamp wrote:
Our Class C did not have them originally, so I'd have to drill a small hole thru in order to get power for them. I just haven't had the desire to drill that hole yet.
I've seen a few installs where they used the porch light power. Remove the porch bulb, tap into that power and use the porch light switch to control the LED strip. May work for you if the porch light is conveniently located.

Point is, there are waterproof/outdoor versions on amazon. Costs more.
I am looking for something reliable. My original awning strip failed within 6 months. They were replaced under warranty. After 8 years, my current strip are more than half failed.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
I ordered mine off Amazon. They come on a roll and install with 3m double sided tape. Very easy. I'll post more info tomorrow. They can be cut to length with scissors BTW
Thanks Ron

How long have you been using yours? Have they proven reliable? I'm reading many bad reviews on Amazon.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered a strip of LED from amazon as well, BUT they are supposed to be for OUTDOORS and waterproof. Yes, I have had them a year and have not installed them. Our Class C did not have them originally, so I'd have to drill a small hole thru in order to get power for them. I just haven't had the desire to drill that hole yet.

Point is, there are waterproof/outdoor versions on amazon. Costs more.

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
I ordered mine off Amazon. They come on a roll and install with 3m double sided tape. Very easy. I'll post more info tomorrow. They can be cut to length with scissors BTW

What's the name of the amazon seller? I need to buy LED strips soon.