cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad day on the highway 2

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Posted yesterday but pics were too big - hope this is OK now.
This happened right out side a campground I stayed at last Friday. Tow vehicle was a Tahoe or Suburban. I believe all the passengers got out without any injuries. I don't know what was on the back, but I doubt the added weight helped. The trailer seemed to be in pretty good shape on the outside, considering it had rolled over.

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect
16 REPLIES 16

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
EDIT Disregard, it's not a toy hauler. Mistook the rear slide for a ramp door that some TT's have.

It appears to be a toy hauler with a side ramp. Also has something undercover on the rear hitch. Is there something in the garage that prevents whatever is on the hitch from being in the garage? Point is the trailer might have been tail heavy.

Keystone doesn't make a toy hauler under the Bullet Brand. In fact the only TT with both a main and rear slide is this 308BHS

Dry weight 6397, carrying capacity 1203, hitch weight 730, and with a total length of 36'. So GVWR is 7600 lbs with barely 10% on the hitch and the guy loads a bunch of stuff on the back bumper.

I think you called it, trailer was too light in the front and too long for the 1500 burb.

Have to agree on this one. Max towing on a Suburban 1500 is around 8000 pounds, which is OK for the weight of that trailer, BUT that length is not. I wouldn't pull something that long with an F150 HDPP, it is just too much sail for a light duty. Max I would tow would be 30', knowing how it handles with 28' properly setup, I wouldn't go above 30. Add in the imbalance with that long bumper and unknown weight on the back is a classic case of a crash waiting to happen, oh wait, it did.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Keithk3628 wrote:
Too little tongue weight will become a problem every time

Indeed. So many jaspers on these forums think larger tow vehicle rather than proper set up.

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Too little tongue weight will become a problem every time

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
snowpeke wrote:
I see it to many times, big trailer and small tow rig.

Yep, except in this case it looks like improper loading by seeing the size of whatever is on the rear of the trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
I see it to many times, big trailer and small tow rig.
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm:

That roll-over you mentioned was in Silverdale, WA. I hadn't noticed until after I posted that there was a detailed post ahead of this one that described it.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
EDIT Disregard, it's not a toy hauler. Mistook the rear slide for a ramp door that some TT's have.

It appears to be a toy hauler with a side ramp. Also has something undercover on the rear hitch. Is there something in the garage that prevents whatever is on the hitch from being in the garage? Point is the trailer might have been tail heavy.

Keystone doesn't make a toy hauler under the Bullet Brand. In fact the only TT with both a main and rear slide is this 308BHS

Dry weight 6397, carrying capacity 1203, hitch weight 730, and with a total length of 36'. So GVWR is 7600 lbs with barely 10% on the hitch and the guy loads a bunch of stuff on the back bumper.

I think you called it, trailer was too light in the front and too long for the 1500 burb.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is another thread showing the remains of a TT 20 minutes off the dealer's lot (not much remained)

One problem we often encounter is "Can My Vehicle Tow This?" The customer asks the salesman.. THe Salesman of course answers "NO PROBLEM"

WHy?
Well for a salesman this is the only problem:
Buyer's Signature: ____________________________.

As you can see the line is blank
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
All four tires on the trailer were OK on the trailer after it was righted, although the 2 on the driver's side were bent on the spindles.
They managed to straighten out the front one (using the forks on the wrecker) enough to tow it , but they removed the rear tire before towing it away. The rear tire on the driver's side of the TV was flat, but that could have happened during the roll over, or it might have been a contributing factor to the accident.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it might be a motorcycle on the back - most likely tongue weight was considerably lower than safe, making it unstable at anything over parking lot speeds.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Next week it will be on the local Craigslist;
Only used twice, Rolls easily behind a suburban, Complete undercarriage inspection just completed.
$100 under NADA retail.

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
That happen a lot of time with the travel trailers.The FW are more stable.A bad hitch or a hitch which is not adjusted right can do that to you.That why I switch from travel trailer to FW.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mich F wrote:
Tow vehicle was a Tahoe or Suburban.

Suburban. That's a pretty long trailer, just underscores the need for attention to detail on the hitch, weight/balance, etc, you never know what's coming. Would be interested to talk with this guy and find out what happened.

Glad everyone was OK>