cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side by side towing

rdh2230
Explorer
Explorer
I want to tow my side by side but without using another trailer. I would like to build a bracket on the back of a regular travel trailer that my front wheels would sit in. Then use a dolly or build free wheeling hubs that would attach to the back hubs of the side by side and put a set of small highway tires on it and transport. Has anyone ever heard of this?
28 REPLIES 28

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
I don't think any of the options above would be legal behind a travel trailer. Double-towing is only legal behind fifth wheels.

Rob

It depends on the state in which you are traveling. In some states (Washington immediately comes to mind) Double towing (non commercial) is not allowed, period! Do NOT go to Washington State if you are towing doubles. In some states, double towing behind a bumper pull trailer is allowed (Montana, for one). In some states, the second trailer MUST be a watercraft (No, I do not remember which ones). Some states require a special license for towing doubles (Non-commercial Class A; IIRC, California is one).
It is YOUR responsibility to know the laws in the state in which you are traveling.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

PsnRebel
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
With the front wheels secured to the bumper, the rear wheels would have to pivot. There is a company that makes a trailer called a swivelwheel, that does this. I don't think have anything that bid though, as TT bumpers are really flimsy.

Saw someone using that system a few years ago at the desert. He had a RZR on it. Seemed to work for him.
2006 GMC Sierra 3500
2008 WW CL4005 Love it, but it's For Sale
2009 Kawasaki Teryx Sport
2006 Raptor 700r
1996 Banshee(2)
1988 Banshee(2)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Get a toy hauler, or a truck, truck camper and cargo trailer.
That's how I travel (truck camper and cargo trailer).
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dedmiston
ScottG wrote:
My bad - I'm never sure about anything anymore!

:B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
dedmiston wrote:
ScottG wrote:
No one has mentioned the added weight on the back of the trailer. It could really be a handful.

No one?

Are you sure? :W

My bad - I'm never sure about anything anymore!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
No one has mentioned the added weight on the back of the trailer. It could really be a handful.

Go back and read my first post on this thread. I went into detail why it's a problem with bumper pull (aka: travel trailers).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
ScottG wrote:

No one?

Are you sure? :W

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JaxDad wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
TThe Freedom Hauler is not considered a trailer as it is a solid attachment to trailer thus sway is not an issue.

Show me that it's "not a trailer"... coming from the officials policing it...not the salesman (same goes for swivel wheel trailers).

While I didnโ€™t look up the law for โ€œno particular placeโ€ I do know that traffic laws are pretty uniform when it comes to definitions of, and classes of vehicles.

A โ€œtrailerโ€, in every definition Iโ€™ve seen in the many laws I have looked at is always โ€œa vehicle drawn upon a highway by a motor vehicleโ€ and then goes on to exempt things like farm implements and other motor vehicles, and specifically, motorcycle side-cars which when rigidly affixed (not hitch) to a bike become part of it, not โ€˜towedโ€™ by it.

So still waiting for a definition from the authorities that it isn't a second trailer. Swivel wheel trailers are not rigidly affixed as they can still pivot up and down.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yโ€™all are still sharing fine old memories and bickering about something that donโ€™t matter and unlikely to see the OP back to talk about their idea anyways
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
TThe Freedom Hauler is not considered a trailer as it is a solid attachment to trailer thus sway is not an issue.

Show me that it's "not a trailer"... coming from the officials policing it...not the salesman (same goes for swivel wheel trailers).

While I didnโ€™t look up the law for โ€œno particular placeโ€ I do know that traffic laws are pretty uniform when it comes to definitions of, and classes of vehicles.

A โ€œtrailerโ€, in every definition Iโ€™ve seen in the many laws I have looked at is always โ€œa vehicle drawn upon a highway by a motor vehicleโ€ and then goes on to exempt things like farm implements and other motor vehicles, and specifically, motorcycle side-cars which when rigidly affixed (not hitch) to a bike become part of it, not โ€˜towedโ€™ by it.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years back I built a couple trailers for friends that had VW powered rail sand buggies. Drop coupler on ground, back straddle the tongue to ramps that took rear axle of buggy over trailer axle. Jack tongue up so a saddle picked up front axle, lower on the ball. Worked fairly slick.
Not sure but I think most states that allow double tow require lead to be 5th wheel connection.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
RCMAN46 wrote:

Actually, it may be unlikely to sway relative to the back of the trailer but dropping 400-700lb of hitch weith on the back of a travel trailer is very likely to result in a low hitch weight on the truck....low hitch weight percentage is a common cause of travel trailer sway and it will happily drag around the side by side.

The reason 5ers can get away with pulling a small trailer is due to the high pin weights typical of 5ers (along with higher overall weights and axles being further back).
- A 10,000lb 5er will typically have 2000-2500lb (20-25%) on the pin. If the hitch weight of 2nd trailer is say 500lb, it's going to remove around 300lb off the pin weight, leaving 1700-2200lb (17-22%). That's unlikely to cause a problem.
- A travel trailer is typically lighter, say 8000lb, and will have a hitch weight around 900-1100lb (12-15%). If the second trailer again has a hitch weight of 500lb, it's likely taking 350-400lb of the travel trailer (there is a difference as the axles are further forward on a travel trailer). Now you are looking at around 550-700lb (7-9%). Around 10-12% hitch weight is where sway problems typically develop with travel trailers, so you are well into a risk of sway.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

dedmiston
Gooma wrote:
If you had read the OP, you would know he was asking about a TT, not a Motor home.

Thanks for the snotty response. Yes, I misread it and thought it was for a moho, because towing an SxS behind a TT was too weird for my brain to grasp.

With that context in mind, don't do it. Your TT bumper won't handle that load and it will be a nightmare to tow.

I don't see a description of your SxS (model or weight). I assume it's a two-seater, but it's hard to know. Either way, it's going to be too much weight and probably not even legal in most states to tow something behind a TT instead of a 5er or moho.

Like I said before, I've camped with 100s of different OHV enthusiasts and seen every nutty setup imaginable, but this isn't one of them.

What about a stacker rack for your pickup? I'd never do this myself, but it looks safer than anything behind your TT. And your truck bed is free since you're pulling a TT.

And you didn't mention your tow vehicle, but are you sure it can handle the weight?

Maybe do like Grit said and just bump up to a toy hauler and don't worry about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Toy haulers have come a long way and there are some really nice ones out there now. They used to be pretty stoic, but they're very comfortable now.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230