cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Be careful hitching up

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor was getting ready to move his boat/boat trailer yesterday. He had a front bumper hitch and was nosed up to the trailer. He got out of the truck didn't realize it was in reverse with the parking brake, wheels cramped to the right. The truck started to roll back, and he attempted to get in and stop it. It knocked him down and the front wheel of his dodge 2500 rolled over his pelvis. Fractured it bad. It will be a long painful recovery. He is older, and has difficulty now, so possibly the end of these kind of recreational things. At least the neighbor on the other side heard the truck as it rolled down an embankment and across the drive into a tree.

Shook me up a lot. Lets all remember to take it slow when doing these things, especially when it's been since last season we got them out, and may not be used to doing it.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

14 REPLIES 14

wallacemf
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your neighbor, hope he recovers.

It's not too hard to overlook this sort of thing, especially if you are tired. When I was younger and worked for a contractor, I plowed snow in the winter time. I had been plowing in a big storm for over 30 hours straight, going from job to job, apartments and office buildings. I was exhausted.

I was at an apartment complex parking lot, and got out of the truck for something, don't remember what now. I put on the parking brake, but accidentally left it in drive. With my back to the vehicle, it started rolling, and the plow blade clipped the back of 7 different vehicles, including a Mercedes, two BMWs and a Jaguar. Not a good day....it happens though. Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

I managed to keep my job, but I heard gaff about that incident for years afterward...and the insurance company was none too happy...
-2015 Ford F250 XLT FX4 4x4 6.2L Crew
-2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
-Myself, the wife and the 2 kids (12 yr old girl and 14 yr old boy)
-Two formerly homeless cats, an American Bulldog, and a Russian tortoise

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
I've never run over myself and have only had two issues while hooking up.

DISTRACTIONS..... and mostly when you stop your process to talk to someone else. That is a prescription to accidents. Once, while hooking up my golf cart trailer behind the Jeep. The neighbor called me over to show me something. I went back and drove the cart up on the trailer. I, at that moment, found out that I had not secured the coupling to the hitch ball. Same thing happened again while loading the cart on the trailer when it was behind my F-250. I'm now shopping for another tailgait. ๐Ÿ™‚
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
It might not be his fault.

Some more reading.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about your neighbor. Hope he will be ok. Ditto to Reader1. All of my mistakes have been related to either being in a hurry and overlooking something or being tired and unaware. Take the time; drive rested.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ependydad wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
NEVER leave a vehicle in gear when exiting........NEVER!

gbopp wrote:
That's a good reminder. We all probably get a little complacent after doing a task many times over the years.

Sadly, it happens. Last year after a tough day of travel got to a campground, put on the emergency brake but left it in drive. Got lucky that nothing happened and the wife put it in park. Scared me quite a lot at what could have happened, though.

First hope your neighbor has a fast and full recovery, fractured pelvis is a bad one, but at least he is still alive and may go camping and fishing again.

As to leaving the truck in gear, if my truck is in gear and I get out the engine dies, as soon as my foot comes off the clutch!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to remember that there was a recall on the 2005 Rams about that very same thing whereas the lever would drop down out of park to reverse. Don't know what the fix was as my 2005 2500's number wasn't in the match.
charles weidman

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your neighbor. Sounds bad.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

gbopp wrote:
That's a good reminder. We all probably get a little complacent after doing a task many times over the years.

Sadly, it happens. Last year after a tough day of travel got to a campground, put on the emergency brake but left it in drive. Got lucky that nothing happened and the wife put it in park. Scared me quite a lot at what could have happened, though.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry he was injured so badly. Thanks for posting this as a reminder to us, and thanks Spoon059 for the reminder to slow down and take those extra seconds. A couple months ago I posted a question about mistakes we don't want to repeat as we begin the new season. So many responded. We all make mistakes and we often get away lucky.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reminder!

Hope it does not stop him from camping. I would like to think that even if I get to the place where I'm attached to tubes to sustain me, I'll just have to power all those medical machines with my generator, and still take it all camping with me!

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Accident's happen. I hope He recovers fully. It's for this reason the kids stay in the house untill the trailer is on the ball and the truck is off. They want to help but you can never fore see the unexpected.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, hope he recovers fully. Pelvis injuries in older folks can be devastating. Be careful and take that extra 10 seconds each time to make sure you are being safe.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS