cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer hitch with sway bars

t-train
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new camper. Camper dealer says he can not install our old hitch to our new camper due to liability issues. Is this correct or not.
17 REPLIES 17

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
This is similar to the hitch my neighbors purchased when the received their trailer - LoadEqulizerAndAntiSway

I'm old school and we used to have a load equalizing hitch and an anti-sway device Anti-Sway-Device

I don't understand how the first link will induce friction to deter sway - but someone smarter than me will be able to! ๐Ÿ™‚

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
IF you do decide to get a new hitch, do some online research and get the hitch you want at a far better price than at most TT dealers.
My salesman really thought I needed a WDH and I said I wanted to drive it home over 200 miles away to see if I felt I needed a WDH. TV met towing specs for TT I got to tow without WDH. So he offered me a used one that came with a trade-in. They installed it for free, it worked wonderfully (but sometimes noisily), & I was able to adjust it when we upgraded TVs and after โ€œflippingโ€ underspringed my TT axle. I was glad I listened and bought the WDH.
PLEASE NOTE: AFAIK, the proper term for the bars a WDH uses is โ€œSPRING BARSโ€, modern designs do use these bars as part of the sway control vice using a add on separate sway control bar or arm that had to be removed before backing up.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Whether its true or not is not relevant. It's your dealer's stance and he's not likely to change his mind. If your old hitch is in good shape and rated for use on the new trailer, I would just install it myself. Easy enough job. If that's not possible, I guess you have to decide if it's worth buying a new hitch from this dealer.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are by Reese, they are anti-sway and equal-lizer combined, they do both.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sorry to hear that. But just like any other dealer or service provider many are great at sniffing our the uninformed or suckers and taking advantage of them. Kudos to you for recognizing it.

Trust no one that ainโ€™t family and donโ€™t trust some of them either!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

t-train
Explorer
Explorer
I just got an email from another camper dealer. This dealer told me if thereโ€™s nothing wrong with your sway bars we transfer from one camper to another. This camper dealer said if there is something wrong with the sway bars then a technician would suggest getting a new one. My swag bars are 11 years old. I donโ€™t see nothing wrong with the sway bars. You can say Iโ€™ve been had by the camper dealer who sold us our new camper. I should have investigated the sway bar issue more. I just took the camper dealer at his word. When in doubt you find out and ask questions.

t-train
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
If this is the style of HD setup you have, then the dealer is just being a d!$%..

This is what I have and it's over 22 years old and my dealer installed it and adjusted the hitch head height to match the new trailer tongue, which was higher then my old TT.

They did that job while I was going thru the walk thru of the trailer. Didn't charge me any extra $$ either..

All they had to do was put the stirrups on the trailer tongue and then adjust the hitch head to match, which was adjustable to begin with.

Maybe your hitch is not rated for the size of the new TT you got?

My WD hitch head is #14,000 with a #12,000 ball on it. The bars are #1000 rated so well within the specs of the new TT I got and still have and it all still works just fine..

Good luck! Mitch This is the type of sway bars I have that you have pictured

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If this is the style of HD setup you have, then the dealer is just being a d!$%..

This is what I have and it's over 22 years old and my dealer installed it and adjusted the hitch head height to match the new trailer tongue, which was higher then my old TT.

They did that job while I was going thru the walk thru of the trailer. Didn't charge me any extra $$ either..

All they had to do was put the stirrups on the trailer tongue and then adjust the hitch head to match, which was adjustable to begin with.

Maybe your hitch is not rated for the size of the new TT you got?

My WD hitch head is #14,000 with a #12,000 ball on it. The bars are #1000 rated so well within the specs of the new TT I got and still have and it all still works just fine..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
My anti sway bars and weight equalizing bars are same things. I like the way they work.

t-train
Explorer
Explorer
I traded in my 2012 travel trailer for a brand new 2023 travel trailer. My old sway bars are black with the chains that have the pins. If I knew how to take a picture I could show you my sway bars. The brackets for the sway bars you mount on to the travel trailer itself. The dealer told me I could have someone come with me and install my old sway bars to the new camper. Iโ€™m not real technical so I know I would not install the sway bars correctly. Like I said before the dealer is telling me due to liability issues the dealer can not install my old hitch. Now Iโ€™m thinking the dealer just wanted to make more money?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check with an independent RV tech.

Most likely, they are just pushing for you to buy a hitch from them.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
t-train wrote:
Bought a new camper. Camper dealer says he can not install our old hitch to our new camper due to liability issues. Is this correct or not.

Without more information it's impossible to tell if this is true or not. It could be that the old hitch is something that for some reason just will not hook up to the new trailer.

Or it could be that their internal policy is to never install a used hitch.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Jodeb720: That all depends on the hitch. My Equial-i-zer 4 point sway control hitch is both weight distribution and anti-sway all in one package. There are a few other hitches that also combine sway control and weight distribution. So it's entirely possible the dealer is telling the truth.

Best thing your neighbor can do is take the make and model of said hitch and you guys can google it and see what's up.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbors just bought a new Travel Trailer and the dealer told them the same thing.

They didn't get a anti-sway device - because the dealer is telling them it's part of the load equalizer hitch...

My BS meter is going off...