cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to seal roof?

Explorer228
Explorer
Explorer
My girlfriend and I are scrambling before winter to get the roof sealed on our 1982 Dodge Xplorer 228 Class B! Very exciting to join the RV community and been a dream since I was a kid.
Its got a domed fiberglass roof that has some cracks and possible leaking though. It also crunches in areas when walking on the roof!

Should we use liquid EPDM Elastomeric rubber coating over our fiberglass shell? Or Fiberglass RV roof coating?

Trouble is, because its an antique we're not sure what kind of coating is already on the fiberglass roof. Gel coat? Something else? Can EPDM even be painted over these? What are the pros and cons of each? Does Fiberglass coating provide extra strength and seal? What should I watch out for? Or is this something I shouldn't even be worried about? lol

Also, if anyone knows anything about pigmenting or tinting these coatings I could really use some advice because so far all I can find is super bright white rv roof coatings, which although I understand the benefits- its going to make the rest of the off-white van (as it was originally painted) look as if its just dirty! I have found one company that makes an off-white EPDM but its far more expensive. So if I could tint it myself somehow that'd be great.

If pictures will help I can provide some.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this!!
9 REPLIES 9

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
OK I stand corrected.

BarneyS wrote:
steveh27 wrote:
Barney,

There is no comparison with your roof and our fiberglass roofs on our 20" Xplorer Class B's.

Disagree! Did you look at the link I provided? They do work not only on RV's but commercial buildings etc.
Here is a quote from one of their FAQ's:
RV Armor can be applied to fiberglass, rubber / EPDM, TPO, metal, wood, or virtually any other type of RV roof.

There absolutely is a comparison! The roof on your Explorer does the same job as the one on my Sunnybrook and is exposed to the same elements. The materials it is made of does not make any difference.
Barney

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
steveh27 wrote:
Barney,

There is no comparison with your roof and our fiberglass roofs on our 20" Xplorer Class B's.

Disagree! Did you look at the link I provided? They do work not only on RV's but commercial buildings etc.
Here is a quote from one of their FAQ's:
RV Armor can be applied to fiberglass, rubber / EPDM, TPO, metal, wood, or virtually any other type of RV roof.

There absolutely is a comparison! The roof on your Explorer does the same job as the one on my Sunnybrook and is exposed to the same elements. The materials it is made of does not make any difference.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Barney,

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want your roof to look new and stay that way for a long time then take a look at my post here.. I just had my roof redone by RV Armor and they did a fantastic job. The cost may be a bit more than you wish to spend but might be worth a call.:)
That thread will give you some more options to consider also.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

tmaccork
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 1983 Dodge Xplorer and waited to touch base with you. Just joined this forum and apologize for being off topic as so far my roof appears to be fine.
Mine is also a 228 and I have the original Xplorer manual with most of the accessory manuals like generator frig etc, Van is complete but am going to rebuild drivetrain. Anyway I am trying to get a good picture of the Xplorer emblems located on the front doors so I can get some made. If you could send a pic it would be greatly appreciated. Any help I can provide just let me know.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Xplorer. A few years ago I found a spider crack area and a deeper gouge on the roof. I covered both with eternabond tape. It's still there. These 2 areas were not leaking but I wanted to protect them. I have had leaks from under the gutters which cover the joint of the fiberglass roof and the metal sides. I've removed them twice and resealed. Eventually a leak started again. I covered the gutter with white duct tape and no more leak. I will do the whole of both gutters next. The rear window has 2 crews on the outside top hinge. This is the safety exit. The caulk wears off and they can leak. I recaulked, but then covered the whole hinge seam with matching black duct tape and no more leak.

Do not walk on the roof!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider doing (or having done) a RV pressure test for leaks.
You could have leaks in other places than just on the roof.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dicor has a special product just for fiberglass roofs. Start there.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pictures are a plus, and will get more response, with more accurate advice.

Welcome to the forum!

Jerry