cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Way To Sell A Dinghy

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not selling a dinghy. The purpose of this thread is to get all the ideas about where to list or advertise and any tips about selling you might have... The assumption is that the dinghy is ready to tow...

Here are three places

escapees

Hitchtrader

RVT (under the category tow behind cars)

JohnnyT Moderator
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar
48 REPLIES 48

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Listed 2 days ago a 2006 Mazda Miata Ready to tow with all electrical, braking system etc. done. Sold it the next morning to someone wanting it for a sports car and to tow. He couldn't believe he looked on ( CRAIGS LIST) and the Mazda said TOW READY I figure I got about $1500 extra because of it being set up for towing, but I also included a brand new brake buddy.

Try your Craigs List. Everything I have ever put on there sells immediately.

I listed it under auto by owner and put it the title TOW Ready, Toad, Tow Vehicle and then I did the same thing under the RV heading and said see ad under car by owner.

I orginally thought I would have everything removed before trying to sell it, glad I didn't

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
jewelgm wrote:
what is a dinghy?

Actually, it is a little boat that is towed behind a BIG boat.
On here, it is a vehicle that is towed behind a motorhome.
Also known as a "toad" (as in "towed")
Or a "FROG" (Four Rolling On Ground)
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jewelgm
Explorer
Explorer
what is a dinghy?

Haulinas
Explorer
Explorer
I am moving to a different toad so am going to part with my 2002 Saturn SL2 that is all ready to go with Roadmaster B/P and diodes.
Figure I'll try Craigs List to see if there is any interest. Have heard about a lot of scammers there though.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a new toad and when I was just over to Holland Motor Homes he said it would probably be $4-500. to remove the base plate, trans pump and us Gear brake controller. It makes me wonder if it is worth selling as a toad or just a plain PT cruiser.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

ct_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Very helpful thread. I am just about to put my focus up for sale. I wasn't sure if I should remove the roadmaster baseplate or not.
I figure it will go fast as there is still almost a year left on factory warranty.
Should I take the baseplate off or try and sell it and explain what it is for?
Do people have better luck selling as a tow or private sale locally?

Appfire2002
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyT wrote:
There has to be other venues where vehicles equipped to be towed can be listed.

JohnnyT

Found anymore info?
1999 21' Thor Tahoe Lite
2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with Factory Tow Package

hhornig
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:
I just sold my Suzuki Samurai toad on cragslist. It took 2 days. I was amazed!

I tried to find toads on craigslist, but could not find anything. What did you list yours under?

Whtbass
Explorer
Explorer
It is just another used car and trying to advertise to those in need of a towable vehicle would severely limit your audience. I personally would be suspicious of mileage posted on odometer if I knew it was a Dinghy.

I traded a Jeep on another Jeep and the dealer removed the Tow brackets because they raised too many questions by potential buyers.

Just an opinion.
Dave & Mary Anne
2006 Mountain Aire 43 ft
400cummins
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy
Brittany Named Cassie

CountryCoachrv
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is EBAY. More people looking there than any other site.
CC Coach RVer

stb130
Explorer
Explorer
After some research I found more cars on EBAY than all other sites. Looks like EBAY is the best place to sell or buy a dinghy.
http://stbracing.blogspot.com/

stb130
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I was suprised to see so many Diesel Jeeps on craigslist as they are great toads for a class A

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/
http://stbracing.blogspot.com/

45Gunner
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm replying to an old post but thought someone may find this useful. I went to trade my dingy (Jeep Wrangler) for a new dingy (Chevy Silverado). The dealer gave me a trade price for my Jeep which I didn't like. I walked. I played the fact the Jeep was equipped for towing behind an RV. I waited for the last day of the month and coincidently the dealership was advertising a sale. I told them that I really wanted to trade but because I had the tow gear, I needed more money for my trade. The used car manager got involved, made a few calls, and I got two grand more than the original offer. Like I said, it could be a coincidence and they really needed to make a deal. Whatever it took, it worked for me.

Gunner

tallyo
Explorer
Explorer
I went to my dealer where I purchased my coach and the sales manager gave a description of my tow dolly to all the salesmen. Within minutes I was receiving phone calls and sold it within one hour for cash and my asking price. My phone rang for 2 weeks afterwards. I must have had 30 phone calls. Not all interested folks were RV'ers either.
I am seriously thinking about buying up used dolly's, cleaning them up and selling them. There sure was a lot of interest in mine. But shortly after teeing off on the first hole I decided golf was more important. The only time I start thinking about working again is if I 3 putt, and even that doesn't last too long either.
By the way it was an inexpensive, as dolly's go, Steihl Tow.
Tallyo
2012 Phaeton 40 QBH
Freightliner, 6 spd Allison
2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT w/ Brake Buddy Vantage
Drinks-6, Eats-4, Sleeps-2
Semper Fi

Bob_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
How I Sold My Toad

SOLD! 2005 Sunfire Toad.

Sorry it was not sold to a RVโ€™er to make use of the baseplate and wiring with diodes. About $750.00 value gone to waste.

I did place ads in the irv2 classifieds, escapees website forum and the RV.net free classifieds, none brought any responses in two and half weeks. I also placed two other โ€œfreeโ€ online classified ads for automobiles on other sites and had no response from those ads.

Sold for $8,950. we paid $11,482. brand new GM had a total of $5,000. in rebates in March, 2005. msrp was $18,375.00 cost of ownership was $2,532.13 for 31 months $81.68 per month. By far the least expensive car I have ever owned. The best trade in offer was $7,100.

I put a for sale sign in the car, also a sign stating 34MPG and โ€œTOAD READYโ€ and put the car on the main highway at the corner of our street. We live near the Algonac State Park most if not all campers pass our street traveling the state park. Hoped it would attract a RVโ€™er but it sold to someone who just liked the car, it took 4 days to sell it. Sold it to the first caller Sunday morning at 10:30am, he had looked at it for a couple of days before calling.

The purchaser asked me to remove the wiring plug receptacle โ€œumbilical cordโ€ and the Break Buddy breakaway. That saves me $75.00 replacement cost for the breakaway. I left the baseplate attached.

Donโ€™t give up on the old ways of doing things they still work.

In 2006 I sold my Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter โ€œtoadโ€ displaying it on the corner of our street and my Versa Haul hitch hauler for the scooter was sold the same way. Placed classified ads for the Scooter and Versa Haul and never received any responses back than either.

Sold my 1993 Torch Red Corvette Convertible with White top, it sold in three days on the highway in May of 2005.
Bob&Pat
2003 ItascaSunrise36M 2002 Ford Chassis, Koni's
2008 HHR Chevrolet Toad, Sterling tow bar and BrakeBuddy
2001 GMC YukonXL, 16' Canoe
1998 Four Winns 240 Horizon
Walmart at Dawn