cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a New 2016 trailer in 2019. What’s it worth?

Hooterville
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer has a brand new, never registered 2016 Cougar 303RLS for sale. Even though it is still new, the moment I put a plate on it will be a 4 year old unit. the NADA guide for this year and model has recommended an average value of about 54% of the original MSRP.

I am located in Canada and the listing MSRP is $71,300 (Canadian) Sticker on it currently is $56,000. Using a straight used value this would come to about a used value of $38,500.

Looking for advise on what it is really worth and how to approach the dealer.
20 REPLIES 20

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hooterville wrote:
Dealer has a brand new, never registered 2016 Cougar 303RLS for sale. Even though it is still new, the moment I put a plate on it will be a 4 year old unit. the NADA guide for this year and model has recommended an average value of about 54% of the original MSRP.

I am located in Canada and the listing MSRP is $71,300 (Canadian) Sticker on it currently is $56,000. Using a straight used value this would come to about a used value of $38,500.

Looking for advise on what it is really worth and how to approach the dealer.

I would expect to pay some where between the 38,500 and the 56,000, while it is 4 years old don't forget that it has no wear and tear on it that you would expect from a 4 year old rv. also like was said I would ask every joint be gone over and resealed. I would shoot for walking out between the 38 and 45K.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Hooterville
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your advice. I will let you know how the conversation with dealer goes.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Fwiw, I'd make an 'out the door' offer. That way, when I get to the closer and he wants me to buy all his extra bs, I say... Sure, if it's included in my offer! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a reason it's a brand new 4 yo trailer... walk away

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Do come back and tell use that you decided to do and how they reached. I'm curious how much of this rationale and approach would carry over to buying a new old car; read that a lot of excess inventory is piling up on wranglers, for example.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
There's no point in even having this conversation. A brand new Grand Design Reflection 303RLS (very similar floor plan) has a "sale" price of $46K at numerous dealerships. Taking just 20% off of that number gets you under $40K. There are probably countless other manufacturers with nearly identical floor plans for around the same price. I'd make the dealer an offer of no more than $20K and walk away if they don't accept it.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
All the concerns brought up about the age of the trailer are universal - and would apply should you be looking at the same unit as used.

In my mind, there is still value in it being "new". Sure, inspect the roof, tires, and everything else (like you should before any purchase). Also verify the warranty.

If all checks out, I would figure out what similar used trailers are really selling for (around here, book value isn't accurate to sales prices), and offer 20% more. Go up some from there.

That dealer is in a tough spot, kind of surprised they haven't wholesaled the unit yet.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, a 4 year-old 'new' rig isn't necessarily any better than a used one of the same age. Have they been checking the roof for cracks? Have the seals been treated? Are the tires already at a 5-year age in need of replacement? Are the decals already drying and cracking from sitting in the sun? Arethe propane tanks already approaching inspection dates? Have the brakes rusted or locked up? I could keep going...

Most rigs do not get used THAT much (unless full-timing). IMHO age/weather does far more to a rig than the actual use does. In some cases, then, having it used by a responaible owner would make for a better rig than a new one that's been sitting on a lot for years.

So, I agree with others but go even further - inspect carefully, get warranty assurance, make them put new 2019 tires on, and still make them give it to you for no more than you could by a used one.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
"they may make you a screaming deal on it"

I'd offer 20k and go up to 35k. Are you looking for the deal, or do you want this particular unit. With all the red flags raised here, you're doing then a favor by taking it off their hands, which is worth a lot.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they performed the required inspection and resealing of the roof and windows I would pass even at a very low price.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check the tire age. You may be buying new tires in the not too distant future.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Hooterville wrote:

what it is really worth

For any towed RV, just approach a dealer with the same hypothetical rig and ask them how much they will give you for trade-in value.

People are often quite surprised at how little value there is in towed RV's, and how much they depreciate.

When ours was less than 6 months old, we were not able to obtain a trade-in number more than 1/3 of our original purchase price when we were considering buying another model.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think your approach using NADA value is pretty valid.
But at the same time you have to figure out what comparable used trailers are selling for and how much it's worth to You.
You could reasonably expect to find a few year old trailer that was stored under cover or roof that has less wear n tear from the weather, and you could find one like new inside but maybe some wear n tear that is non existent in a new unit.
Bottom line sooner or later they'll find a buyer and/or come down enough on the price to sell it. Take a swing at it. It's fall and camping season is basically over so if they're smart enough to figure out they'll likely sit on it until next year they may make you a screaming deal on it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I know of an RV dealer that probably still has a brand new 2015 toyhauler in the lot. They want more than I can get a new version for at a different dealer.