cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing 25 yr old awning hardware

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to dismantle my awning hardware in camp when one side of the rod that tensions the spring came loose. I'm trying to decide how to proceed now that I'm back home. The top of the awning that houses the springs ended up getting damaged as I wasn't thinking clearly and was on a tight timeline. The extension arms have seen better days, but probably could be reused if I purchased new awning lift handles. I paid $3400 for the 18 foot trailer 10+ years ago and have kept everything working as things have worn out.

I'm not sure it's worth the $750 to replace the awning hardware, but it is nice having an awning. Does anyone know of a good source for awning hardware? Have any of you came up with a different solution that you are happy with? I'm thinking I might just go without an awning as there are lots of times I don't extend it anyway.
13 REPLIES 13

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Since I do not get into part cost, I just fix things. I checked and found out an entry level awning like you had and 16 foot would cost about $1500. That is without labor, but they are easy to install. Hardware is sold separately. So about $750 for hardware and &750 for the awning/fabric/tube/springs. Look at E Trailer.com. Doug

PS, you can also buy a slide in fabric that goes into the "C" awning rail channel and then you use tent poles to support the outer corners. That means removing the fabric each time, but 3 people can slide it in the "C" rail in about 5 minutes. One person can then remove it.

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Replacing parts will cost MORE than just buying a NEW entry level awning and hardware. Entry level means a bare bones awning like the one you had. Manual awning. 1989, 34 YEARS, not 25 years:). Doug

Thanks Doug. I really appreciate your advice. It would be easier too I'd assume.:)

I'm really stuck in researching options. The options I'm finding on Amazon are unknown brands to me and they are running between $650 and $900. Since replacing the parts on my 34 year old awning would likely run me over $400, Replacing the whole thing would make sense. I'm really confused on what parts I'd need to replace to fix my old awning anyway. The cost of repair could approach or exceed the cost of completely replacing what I have if I can't find a used one that was pulled off an old RV.

In terms of brands and sources, does anyone one have any recommendations? I checked with an RV shop and they quoted me $2500 if they replaced it. I'd like to keep the cost under $1000 if possible, but am willing to spend more if it'd mean buying something that could stand up to another 34 years.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Replacing parts will cost MORE than just buying a NEW entry level awning and hardware. Entry level means a bare bones awning like the one you had. Manual awning. 1989, 34 YEARS, not 25 years:). Doug

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
JBarca wrote:
mtnbbud wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Look at this assembly to see if that is what you have.
Dometic 8500

8500 parts breakdown

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that's it.

Heads up, A&E was into changing the design of the ends caps and the shaft during the approximate time your camper was built. Make sure the end cap and the shaft are the same exact style your awning has. The newer end caps and shaft will not mount on the prior vintage arms.

Also, the front and rear end caps on the tube are not the same part, one has the latch and the other does not.

The end of the awing tube is where the Sunchaser part numbers are for the awning, not on the awning arms. You have to have the awning unrolled to see the model sticker.

Posting pics of what you have really helps.

Thanks, I'm having trouble figuring out how to post pictures. The only button I'm seeing for adding pictures says to post a URL.

I really messed up and didn't save the awning tube. I'll probably end up needing to buy everything since I only saved the arms. I had no idea when it happened that all these parts are so expensive and that parts were still available.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember when but we once bought a new mh and we felt that the awing was too short, so we bought a longer one, with tube. We still have the original, I could easily part with it.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
mtnbbud wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Dometic 8500

8500 parts breakdown

Heads up, A&E was into changing the design of the ends caps and the shaft during the approximate time your camper was built. Make sure the end cap and the shaft are the same exact style your awning has. The newer end caps and shaft will not mount on the prior vintage arms.

Also, the front and rear end caps on the tube are not the same part, one has the latch and the other does not.

The end of the awing tube is where the Sunchaser part numbers are for the awning, not on the awning arms. You have to have the awning unrolled to see the model sticker.

Posting pics of what you have really helps.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Dometic 8500

8500 parts breakdown

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Dometic 8500

8500 parts breakdown

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all. The sticker on the sides of the arms say: Universal Satin Hardware for A&E 9000, 8500, and 8000 FRTA.

I think that would indicate an A&E Dometic Sunchaser? One site I looked at said the torsion arms discontinued?

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
mtnbbud wrote:
Thanks. I'll try to get pictures soon. I don't have the ability to store the trailer at my house, so it may be a few days before I get back to my trailer to take pictures. I do believe it is a Dometic. The whole roller tube with end caps assembly will need to be replaced. I kept the arms, but didn't realize I could reuse the outer roller tube. (I probably could have reused the spring also...)

When I got home, I figured out that the problem started with the lift handle. The pin thats supposed to slide up from the handle wasn't lifting out of the retention hole. When I was trying to get the lift arms to slide, the rod holding the spring tension somehow broke free and released all the tension from the spring. I was thinking I'd just replace all the hardware, but I didn't realize how much it was going to cost me.

It's a 1989 18 foot Terry Resort manufactured by Fleetwood if that helps.

I did find another brand that is currently quite a bit less money. Does anyone know anything about Aleko? It's much less money than any other brand I have found online.

The roller tube, as long as it is not bent, the tube itself can still be used. They are expensive tubes. The last tube I bought for a 19' awing was $362.42, delivered from Dometic on 4/17/19. (Pre-Covid)

The springs and some end caps may be available if the tube is still good. Again, assuming it is a Dometic.

Let's see what you have and we can help better.

John

I have not heard of Aleko, can't help on that brand.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model is often marked on arm near the bottom.
NWrvsupply.com has many parts located in Eugene.
Could be Carefree or Dometic

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks. I'll try to get pictures soon. I don't have the ability to store the trailer at my house, so it may be a few days before I get back to my trailer to take pictures. I do believe it is a Dometic. The whole roller tube with end caps assembly will need to be replaced. I kept the arms, but didn't realize I could reuse the outer roller tube. (I probably could have reused the spring also...)

When I got home, I figured out that the problem started with the lift handle. The pin thats supposed to slide up from the handle wasn't lifting out of the retention hole. When I was trying to get the lift arms to slide, the rod holding the spring tension somehow broke free and released all the tension from the spring. I was thinking I'd just replace all the hardware, but I didn't realize how much it was going to cost me.

It's a 1989 18 foot Terry Resort manufactured by Fleetwood if that helps.

I did find another brand that is currently quite a bit less money. Does anyone know anything about Aleko? It's quite a bit less money than any other brand I have found online.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Please tell us the make and model of your awning. There are lots of awning makes and models within the make.

Pictures also help explain your damage and what parts may still be available.

I restore older campers and deal with 20 to 25-year-old awnings frequently, mainly the A&E brand by Dometic. Some parts are available, but Dometic is starting to discontinue some of them.

Again, posting pictures of the awning hardware helps. The Dometic A & E Sunchaser series kept changing the end caps on the roller tube and then the mount to the awning arm, often until they got it right, I think. Pic's help us hone in on what vintage you have.

I hope this helps,

John