cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campers helping campers

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last week I was setting in my site, enjoying my self, watching the CG fill up. A fairly new looking TT backed into the next site, like 50 yards away. While he was hooking up utilities I noticed he was paying a lot of attention to my site. Oh well, Drysdales set up next to Clampetts, ain't on me.
About a hour later, he came walking over "I used to have a popup like this, maybe I can help you get the door working" I then realized he thought the quilt hanging in the doorway was a sign I had a problem. About that time Emmy pushed past the quilt to come out to meet him. I laughed, told him the only thing wrong with the door was the dog was always on the wrong side of it. Showed him I had made the quilt just the right size for the door, attached Velcro to end of quilt and above the door. Dog is on leash, attached to step, and long enough to reach anyplace in camper.
11 REPLIES 11

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife does not like for me to watch anybody back in unless they ask for help. (I don't always whisper as quiet as I think. In a restaurant, "Baby changing station in bathroom, wish they would change it to something quiet" has got me in trouble)
Over the years, most times a driver backed into something a 'Onback' was involved.
Once my TV was parked in my site, but close to the road to give some toddlers room to play. 5th wheel owner asked me to move it so he could park in site across the road. "Sure, but if you get to where TV is, you will not get in the site" He asked if I could help. His wife said she knew nothing about backing, (If you can't back a trailer, how can you tell somebody else how to do it?) Had her get behind the wheel, him walk next to me outside her door. Backed up the road, then pull back up to set up telling both what to look for in mirror.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 32ft enclosed trailer behind my DP. Used to be a 40ft now a 36ft. When I first moved here people would stop and watch me back in the driveway with, at first, 72ft and a 90 degree turn between trees. I could usually do it perfect first time after a lot of practice. I have many times backed someone else into their spot. I am also pretty handy and have fixed a lot of minor problems for my fellow campers. I had a medical problem in FL last year and was overwhelmed by the help I got from those I didn't know. Most people are willing to help if you need it, not just offer "eyes" so you learn!

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I had a neighbor across the street walk to my truck window as I started my back in, and asked me if I was ok, did I need him to back that in for me. I had literally just started moving backward with my wife watching the rear. I smiled and said, "nope, I got it." He watched for the two minutes it took me to finish the job then silently walked back to his site. Yeah, helpful and nosey....fine line.
If I see someone clearly in need of assistance I will offer a set of eyes. That's about as far as I go. Many times I've added my flashlight to the mix when folks come in at night (and no, shining at the truck does NOT help!). I let others figure things out on their own. It's called learning. It's why we're here.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I was in craters of the moon a year or two back in Idaho,when a couple and their two kids pulled in and couldnโ€™t get their trailer setup, they said they had recently bought it and couldnโ€™t figure out why they were not getting 12v anywhere. This campground is a dry camp with no power. I took an electrical testor over and found the circuit breaker between the battery and trailer had failed. I think they were just about ready to cancel their trip when I showed them how to work around it and to replace the part at the next hardware store they saw. It got them up and running so the lights and fridge would work and they were very friend/social the rest of the night. I was glad I could help them.
Winnebago Access 24V

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the story. Thank you for reminding me that not every situation that you are in and not every person you meet is bad.

To often all we hear about is the bad things. It's nice to hear about good ones too.

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I posted several months ago asking if I had trouble backing our camper would neighbor campers possibly assist. I had such positive comments I was in tears. The gist is that almost everyone will help, but some might need to be asked so that they know I needed the help.
My husband was hospitalized and in a rehabilitation center after developing Guillain Barre Syndrome February through March. I knew as the weather warmed camping would be best for his recovery. While his paralysis improved I thought about camping as soon as he could handle the steps and knew my backing skills are absolutely horrible. We have not camped yet due to out patient therapy, but his progress has been incredible so he will be able to drive and back when we go in a few weeks.
Thanks everyone for their responses.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Hey Campers helping Campers is what these forums are about.

I think the forums for campers helping campers is a good theory, but reading them it is often more of "My way is the only way to camp" deal
I was shopping for a van trailer to store the tent gear in so didn't need to carry out of basement when 1 of our little dogs showed us she could open a tent zipper. We bought the camper for the door latch.

PartyOf Five wrote:
Drysdales set up next to Clampetts!

There's a balance between being helpful and nosy, sounded like Mr. Drysdale stayed on the right side anyway- nice story. Thanks

Believe me, early on with the camper I had trouble with the door, and would of welcomed the help.
As far as nosy, I make it a point to recognize who and what equipment is in the sites around me. Once I heard the pickup in the next site leave. Hour or so later 2 young guys pulled in, loaded a smoker and left. I let them see me taking pictures of them and their pickup. Much later the old couple came back, started a rant at me about minding my business, should not take pics of their sons. "Because you say it was your sons, I can delete the pictures. But if it was not your sons, would you want the pictures?"

dedmiston wrote:
None of my business, but did Mr. Drysdale bring Miss Jane along for the trip? I love a good scandal.

I love your story. For years we mostly boondocked and rarely had hookups. We always felt like the Clampetts when we'd pull into a FHU site and had to figure out which end of the dump hose went where.

(We know what we're doing now. We might even have evolved into the Drysdales.)

Wife's health means she might need AC when I want a campfire to warm up, so we always need electricity. Camper has a hand pump over the sink. There is a little rod that will hold the handle down. I knew that was to keep the handle from bouncing, and pumping water out of tank. First time with water on site, hooked up the hose, turned on the water. By the time I walked around the camper, water was running out the door. The pump spout was over the counter, that little rod was to hold the valve open. Our first night in the camper was Christmas eve, 2004 so we have had plenty of time to make mistakes
I never was one to upgrade just because a new model came out, so most of our gear is old, but works

dedmiston
None of my business, but did Mr. Drysdale bring Miss Jane along for the trip? I love a good scandal.

I love your story. For years we mostly boondocked and rarely had hookups. We always felt like the Clampetts when we'd pull into a FHU site and had to figure out which end of the dump hose went where.

(We know what we're doing now. We might even have evolved into the Drysdales.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I love dog and quilt stories! lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Drysdales set up next to Clampetts!

There's a balance between being helpful and nosy, sounded like Mr. Drysdale stayed on the right side anyway- nice story. Thanks
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey Campers helping Campers is what these forums are about.

Good story by the way.

I traveled with cats.. One liked to get out any way she could
The male however if you left the door open he'd be on the top step looking at you
as if to say "Hey Stupid, You left the door open"

Alas he finally passed on (The female went a few years back)
He was a Maine Coone.. #1 Cuddle cat.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times