cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping in a high temperature area.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any brave souls camping in the PNW during the heat wave. Are people using their RV and its AC to beat the heat? Has the sound of generators increased?
23 REPLIES 23

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the rainy season here in south Florida. The rain cools it down from the 90s to the low 80s with 60% to 90% humidity. MOSQUITOS!

In many places it may be above 100 in the day but it cools down at night. Here in Florida it may be in the 80s at night.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
A local news commentator said there are more registered boats (watercrafts) in Oregon than homes with AC units. Don't know if its true or not, but it seems about right.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
We moved to our RV for a night, as the power was out. Many in our community have whole house generators. The gen sound definitely increased.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Not camping per se but I'm here with my TT parked at home in a car port and I'm surprised how well it's doing. Temp outside was 108+ today and the 15K AC is easily keeping it 75 inside and even the Norcold fridge is staying cool. In fact, I had to turn the fridge down because it was only 33 inside.
In fairness, the trailer gets very little direct sun but still, I'm impressed.
Thankfully, we have central air in the house otherwise we'd be in the trailer.

EDIT: OK, temp now 107 and one whole side is in the evening sun. After my wife made dinner in there and used the oven (she just had to have tater tots with her cheeseburger..). AC has slipped to 80 inside (set to 75). Turned fridge down to 4 and it's 35 inside.

I guess we would not have used the oven if we were staying in it and I could turn on the second AC.
Still, pretty good performance for an overgrown styrofoam cooler.

Wait a minute.

If I understand you correctly you are keeping both your camping trailer and your house cool when the electric grid in your area is strained to the max and people are dying from the heat.

Please Shut the AC in the trailer off and just stay in the house.

Sorry Charlie, you're too late. 78degree high today in Seattle. You can go back to your regularly scheduled program. Which should include minding your own business...
PS, this aint Texas, (lol, I was down there when their power grid actually got strained) and less than half the homes around here even have AC anyways. Maybe he was being nice and letting his family or neighbors stay in the camper for the whopping 3 days it was hot here....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Not camping per se but I'm here with my TT parked at home in a car port and I'm surprised how well it's doing. Temp outside was 108+ today and the 15K AC is easily keeping it 75 inside and even the Norcold fridge is staying cool. In fact, I had to turn the fridge down because it was only 33 inside.
In fairness, the trailer gets very little direct sun but still, I'm impressed.
Thankfully, we have central air in the house otherwise we'd be in the trailer.

EDIT: OK, temp now 107 and one whole side is in the evening sun. After my wife made dinner in there and used the oven (she just had to have tater tots with her cheeseburger..). AC has slipped to 80 inside (set to 75). Turned fridge down to 4 and it's 35 inside.

I guess we would not have used the oven if we were staying in it and I could turn on the second AC.
Still, pretty good performance for an overgrown styrofoam cooler.

Wait a minute.

If I understand you correctly you are keeping both your camping trailer and your house cool when the electric grid in your area is strained to the max and people are dying from the heat.

Please Shut the AC in the trailer off and just stay in the house.

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
We were camped in Central Oregon, 109 F. Couldn't take the heat so moved to the Oregon Coast. Didn't even need the AC there. It was in the low 70's.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I just posted my own thread about testing my trailer A/C in this heat. It did much better than I expected. The A/C reduced inside temps from about 108 to 82 in two hours before I shut it down. I didn't think to add that our relative humidity was 15%.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
S Davis wrote:
North of Seattle we were at 111 degrees with about 52% humidity, i lived in Fallon Nevada and went through some 115 degree days there that didnโ€™t feel as hot.

Ugh, that's absolutely miserable there, high humidity and that kind of heat is stifling. The hottest I've ever felt was 105 and 80% humidity in Texas, 125 in death valley was much more pleasant.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bgum wrote:
No mention of humidity. Does that mean the heat is a dry heat? That would make it a little more bearable.

Humidity tends to limit high temps...for example, the all time high for Miami is only 100F.

I've spent a lot of time in Kuwait the last few years on a project.
- When it's dry in the summer, 120-125F temps are normal.
- When the wind blows off the gulf it gets humid and the temps peak at around 115F.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bgum wrote:
Are people using their RV and its AC to beat the heat

Dad used to do that 40yr ago in Michigan when it got really hot out.

Pulled the trailer around front and we would spend the evening in it to stay cool.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are in triple digits here in NCW, but we are heading out tomorrow to the top of Sherman Pass(highest pass in WA). There are a few lakes in that area also.
The temps up there are supposed to be in the mid to low 90's which is fine with us. It sure beats a 110 degrees or higher at our house in Chelan.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
North of Seattle we were at 111 degrees with about 52% humidity, i lived in Fallon Nevada and went through some 115 degree days there that didnโ€™t feel as hot.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
No mention of humidity. Does that mean the heat is a dry heat? That would make it a little more bearable.
The DC area has been a bit warm (not hot like the those in the NW) in the low to mid 90s; fortunately the RH has only been ~50%.

Itโ€™s been hot getting the TT ready over the weekend for my trip tomorrow; it didnโ€™t take long for me to be dripping sweat.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:

Portland was 20% RH yesterday when they hit their record 115 high (prior to this past weekend their record was 107, set in 1965 and 1981), still a bit higher than places like Yuma and Death Valley that normally see those temps but not so high as to stop sweating from being effective.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH