cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car handling issues

Timsenclosed
Explorer
Explorer
2o11 VW Golf Wagon TDI towing (w/class 3 hitch) new 5 x 10 V-nosed enclosed trailer 750lbs empty. Issue is in highway driving 50 -65 mph repetitive steering correction needed causing premature driver fatigue. Could the low quality snow tires(35lbs) be the issue? Trailer tires are 15' radial not bias ply. Planning on installing better car all season tires and a torsion bar hitch kit. Any VW drivers thoughts?
12 REPLIES 12

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
The easy fast answer is the trailer probably doesnโ€™t have enough tongue weight. The tongue weight ideally should be about 12% of the loaded on the road weight of the trailer. But the complication then becomes, how much tongue weight is your vehicle rated to handle.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
to help answer your questions and help solve the problem

1) what is the ACTUAL loaded weight of the trailer
2) What is the ACTUAL trailer tongue weight
3) What specific tires are on the car
4) are you using a WD hitch now? if so, who set it up.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Snow tires are squishy (technically term lol). In my experience with a few snow tires over the past 20 years is they are often unstable even not towing @80mph compared to all season or summer tires that are stable @triple digits MPH. For your specific TV, I would investigate a WDH or sway control. But I would also take some weight measurements to understand how much TW% you actually have with your typical loads.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow a 5x10 continental steel frame trailer with my Focus, until that trailer got stolen. Typically 1,500 pounds but sometimes right at the 2k mark. Never had handling issues, only grip issues on steep grades in the rain with the snow tires on (like over 15%+, Toyo observe tires).

I have noticed that most of those trailer without the side door have the spare tire bolted to the wall in the back. The front door models have the spare up front. Mine was a front door model with the front spare, and empty tongue weight was barely sufficient. The rear spare equipped ones probably are too light on the tongue.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
or the trailer isn't level, but pointing up above level

Too many potentials to list without more info from the OP
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Best if the OP were to weigh the tongue with a bathroom scale, and tell us the result.

Keep an eye on the hitch attachment points. I knew of one Jetta owner who towed quite a bit and the bolts started tearing the sheet metal underneath. Fortunately he inspected it often enough to catch it in time.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Since we can only guess here, ide say it doesnr have enough tongue weight. at 750lbs it should have at least 100lbs on the tongue, 150 or 200 would be better!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ktmrfs wrote:
I have a hard time believing an empty weight of only 750lbs for an enclosed 5x10 trailer. I suspect to much trailer for the car and to much tongue weight.

Seems a shade light unless its aluminum frame. But even a steel frame one is under 1000 lbs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Needs an equalizing hitch
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hard time believing an empty weight of only 750lbs for an enclosed 5x10 trailer. I suspect to much trailer for the car and to much tongue weight.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soft tires definitely don't help.

It could also be low tongue weight. Put something weighing ~100lbs inside the front of the trailer and see if that helps.

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Check with manufacturer to make sure the trailer axles are oriented properly from front to back. Had the same problem with a new snowmobile trailer years ago and that was the problem.The trailer assembler had mounted the axle 8" to far forward.