cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chinese Tires

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
I see where Chinese tire manufacturer Triangle Tire is building a new plant in North Carolina. With my experience with their ST tires on my travel trailer I do not plan on purchasing any of their tires. I hope that their tires have improved.

On a positive note, they plan on hiring approximately 800 employees.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT
9 REPLIES 9

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't I already close this thread? Oh wait, that was ANOTHER THREAD about Chinese tires.

CLOSED - for a reason
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I happen to have China tires on our Buick without knowing it. Read the small print on your tires to see where they are made, you may be surprised! Mine are fine and I'm pleased. I wouldn't have bought them had I known.
Brian

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
More MAGA! :B

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on who they are running from sidecar,,,,:R

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
The Chinese manufacturers build what they are instructed to build. Be it management or a specific order, they build to suit the current order. Low quality on some products are because low price is determined to be more important than high quality. But they are capable of delivering a higher quality product when it is speced out in the order, (just look at Apple products)
The other thing that can be a limiting factor in their quality is materials, I doubt they are able to easily obtain large quanities of the same quality of construction materials there, that are available here.
I dont believe in their native market there is a consumer demand for tires capable of high speed use on paved surfaces with longeiviety in the 20000-30000 mile range, likely their move here is partly an attempt to avoid some tariffs, as well as to build to better suit a specific market.
I wouldnt expect any better quality initially than what they produce in China, but I would expect them to use this as a learning opportunity and to improve quality here with this move and then to export the small touches that create that improvement back to China, much as they did with RCA and Motorola.

Add on, One other likely assist is that there are numerous other tire manufacturers in the area Continental, BF Goodrich, and Michelin apparently all have facilities in NC and a large Goodyear plant is on the Va/NC border in Danville Va. The chinese will probably gain some workers from those plants and in doing so gain some insight into production and quality improvements.

My comment is.. Rickshaws don't need high speed tires....:R
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to General RVing Issues forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
The Chinese manufacturers build what they are instructed to build. Be it management or a specific order, they build to suit the current order. Low quality on some products are because low price is determined to be more important than high quality. But they are capable of delivering a higher quality product when it is speced out in the order, (just look at Apple products)
The other thing that can be a limiting factor in their quality is materials, I doubt they are able to easily obtain large quanities of the same quality of construction materials there, that are available here.
I dont believe in their native market there is a consumer demand for tires capable of high speed use on paved surfaces with longeiviety in the 20000-30000 mile range, likely their move here is partly an attempt to avoid some tariffs, as well as to build to better suit a specific market.
I wouldnt expect any better quality initially than what they produce in China, but I would expect them to use this as a learning opportunity and to improve quality here with this move and then to export the small touches that create that improvement back to China, much as they did with RCA and Motorola.

Add on, One other likely assist is that there are numerous other tire manufacturers in the area Continental, BF Goodrich, and Michelin apparently all have facilities in NC and a large Goodyear plant is on the Va/NC border in Danville Va. The chinese will probably gain some workers from those plants and in doing so gain some insight into production and quality improvements.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Only time will tell how it all turns out. If they are selling to an American Market, then hopefully, the manufacturing has to follow some kind of USA standard ... one would assume?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
starnge I read they make a quality tire.