Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CHP doing their best!! THANK YOU!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
KNIGHTS FERRY:
A family from Colorado had the unfortunate experience of breaking down this morning. Although their truck was able to be towed from the scene, the trailer had to left behind, exposing itself to possible theft. Officer Disch summoned a nearby commercial unit who was able to tow the trailer to the family's location in Oakdale. Nice job Officer Disch for going above and beyond to provide that extra service to the public.

27 REPLIES 27

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Come on you guys....seems like there are always a few on this forum that always try to turn a good story into something negative! Jeeze, can't you just see the good side of this story.

ABSOLUTELY! The Negative Nellies should be ashamed. Let's stay positive for a change.

We were driving on Rt. 93 in NH yesterday and drove by an accident scene. One State Police officer was speaking to the driver and the other was holding a child of about 3, talking to her and keeping her calm. Luckily it appears no one was hurt. As another who pays outrageous taxes I'll gladly pay them as the CHP was doing what they are paid to do-keep us safe.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Good job CHP!

It is called "using discretion"... Whatever the situation was, the officers on scene decided the best thing to do was to get the trailer towed right away. Tow trucks may not have been available, traffic safety situation, possibly the people just didn't have the money... The officers did what they thought best in that situation.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
The Commercial unit is CHP. Also....he would have checked with his local area office to insure he was ok to tow that.
cpaulsen

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Isaac-1 wrote:
I personally see no problem with this as a public safety effort getting the trailer off the side of the highway, and I too hope the officers don't get in any trouble for this. I see this as no different than an officer stopping for a stranded motorist who is in the process of changing a tire on the side of the road and using the police lights on his car to warn passing traffic.

I agree. As a taxpayer (of outrageous NJ taxes), I'd have no problem seeing such a story in my local news. Maybe it's me next time. It's a shame that public servants (or anyone) need to worry about repercussions from doing the right thing.
And as an outrageous California taxpayer I have no problem paying for this one.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
You never hear many good stories about the CHP. It is nice to hear one and it can be poo poo'ed all you want but the Officer removed a road hazard that someone could run into. He may have saved a life.
Years ago I was stopped by the CHP just after dark and the lights were out on the back of my coach and toad as well.
I had dragged the light cord so the officer followed me to a rest stop that was just up the road where I could safely repair it. Really nice fellow.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
I personally see no problem with this as a public safety effort getting the trailer off the side of the highway, and I too hope the officers don't get in any trouble for this. I see this as no different than an officer stopping for a stranded motorist who is in the process of changing a tire on the side of the road and using the police lights on his car to warn passing traffic.

I agree. As a taxpayer (of outrageous NJ taxes), I'd have no problem seeing such a story in my local news. Maybe it's me next time. It's a shame that public servants (or anyone) need to worry about repercussions from doing the right thing.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
One time my teenage daughter was told she could take the car to the beach 30 miles away while we were out of town for the weekend, but instead she drove 150 miles to meet her boy friend and had a flat tire on the way home. A female CHP changed the tire for her and then chewed her out for not knowing how to change a tire so they do do things besides giving tickets
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Had a blowout on a small trailer on the freeway in so ca chp pulled up as iwas changing the tire. I didn't have a spare, he wanted to know I was going to do. I said leave it and go get a tire. He said you can do that but in this area most likely it will be gone when you get back so i said my wife can stay here, he said not an option so he folled me as I drove slowly to the next off ramp
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
rbrand wrote:
tow.
Read it again!
It did not say that the CHP towed it. A commercial unit did. It did not say that it was at public expense.

I read it and when I read it I assumed "Commercial Unit" Meant a Tow Truck of the size often used to tow semi tractors and the like.

HOWEVER due to the angle from which the photograph was taken it APPEARS the Departmental Vehicle is towing it.. Bad case of optical illusion I gather.. I know that back when I told cops where to go for a living I'd have called a proper size tow truck to tow it. Our vehicles, for the most part (bomb squad is an exception) did not tow.

My interpretation of the "Commercial Unit" terminology is a unit focused on Commercial Vehicle traffic (e.g., Scales, safety inspections, etc.). Those trucks frequently tow trailers or mobile signboards, so they would probably be equipped to safely tow that TT.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rbrand wrote:
tow.
Read it again!
It did not say that the CHP towed it. A commercial unit did. It did not say that it was at public expense.

I read it and when I read it I assumed "Commercial Unit" Meant a Tow Truck of the size often used to tow semi tractors and the like.

HOWEVER due to the angle from which the photograph was taken it APPEARS the Departmental Vehicle is towing it.. Bad case of optical illusion I gather.. I know that back when I told cops where to go for a living I'd have called a proper size tow truck to tow it. Our vehicles, for the most part (bomb squad is an exception) did not tow.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen many LEOs over the years helping people. From changing tires to delivering babies.
I hope I never get 2OLD to appreciate them for being human.
Puma 30RKSS

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
The motto is to SERVE & PROTECT
great job guys
Chief Deputy (retired)
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
rbrand wrote:

Read it again!

It is a commercial CHP (taxpayers) pickup in the photo doing the people a favor. Good for the officer, hope he doesn't get a reprimand.
x2 !

This is the kind of pay it forward stuff that goes a LONG way.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Rear axle looks a little overloaded! They may want to readjust the hitch and weigh the setup! They don't want the weight police to get them!

๐Ÿ˜‰ Good job CHP!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!