cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

clip on mirrors?

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just bought a trailer and will need some clip on type tow mirrors for my 2005 Expedition. Should be the same as that vintage F150. I will eventually get a set of the factory style tow mirrors but will need a set to get me by until then since I pick it up in a couple days. Any suggestions? Any to for sure avoid?
20 REPLIES 20

Mike_F
Explorer
Explorer
Cipa slide on since 2002 on Chevy 2500 Suburban. No vibration. Had the strap ones on a mini van with pu that vibrated a lot.
Mike
2002 Suburban 2500 2WD 6.0L 4.10
2018 Rockwood 2109S

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
aftermath wrote:
There are CIPAs and then there are CIPAs.

And there is another brand called "Longview" that looks similar but attaches in a different manner. I've owned both and find the current, authentic CIPA mirrors I bought for my 2012 Silverado mount much more securely than did the Longview brand I had years ago on our Explorer, offer a rock solid image at all speeds, and are much cheaper than factory towing mirrors. :B

I have a set of the LongView slide on mirrors for my 2011 F150 and they have never vibrated and if they have it's never been enough to make them unusable. I'm just trying to see traffic while I'm driving and things behind me when I'm backing up. I don't need to read small print from 50 yards away.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
There are CIPAs and then there are CIPAs.

And there is another brand called "Longview" that looks similar but attaches in a different manner. I've owned both and find the current, authentic CIPA mirrors I bought for my 2012 Silverado mount much more securely than did the Longview brand I had years ago on our Explorer, offer a rock solid image at all speeds, and are much cheaper than factory towing mirrors. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
Milenco Aero 3 mirrors won't vibrate a bit and extend out further than most OEM tow mirrors. I have used a set for 3 years and finally broke down a bought a set of aftermarket tow mirrors.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips. Very helpful. If the clip-ons work reasonably well I may hold off on the factory style replacements since I may step up in TV soon anyway.

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use the K Source clip-ons. No problems.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
So... The CIPA slip on mirrors on my old F150 vibrated terribly. In reality it's the OEM mirror that's vibrating, the slip-on extension just magnifies it. I ended up covering those CIPA mirrors with large convex stick-ons. Problem solved.

The clip-on mirrors I'm using on my newer Ram are slightly convex and are absolutely rock solid. I can't justify buying the towing mirror replacements now.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
SIL and daughter have clip on mirrors for their F150. No vibration at all.

OP, go buy a good set of clip on mirrors. Consensus is they don't vibrate. Maybe the ones 20 years ago did, but not anymore.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I also use CIPA mirrors and I haven't noticed any more vibration in them compared to OEM mirrors

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the CIPA slip on mirrors for over 15 years now. There is no strap with these, they slide on and snug fit with an adjustable screw/wedge in the back. I've never had a vibration problem. Here's the link E-Trailer.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are CIPAs and then there are CIPAs. I had a pair that clipped on to my existing mirror and used a strap that held them in place. I did not get the slip on type because they, at the time, did not make them for my 4Runner.

They were terrible. They vibrated which was not a problem in itself, but the vibration caused them to move so I had to stop now and then and readjust. And, they would make noise.

I agree with those who said to look into getting factory original types. If that is not possible, make sure you get something without straps. The slide on ones do look more promising than then ones I used.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we use mckeesh mirrors on our rather narrow Dakota
kinda ugly but totally functional

installation and removal takes seconds, nice big mirror, and nice clear vibration free view even when extended way out

they remind me of the old fender well mount mirrors from the 60's and 70's on family station wagons
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on CIPA
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

ckemp
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I used the CIPA slip-on mirrors on one of my trucks for years and never had a problem with them. They did not vibrate, were easy to put on and remove, and gave me a decent view to the rear of my trailer.
Barney

x2 I used the CIPA mirrors when I had a F150, they worked great with no vibration.
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
Passport 2400BHWE