cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman Propane Bottles

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is anyone else in other parts of the country having a problem finding them, or is it just here in Eastern VA.
I've looked in WalMart, Lowes, and Ace hardware, all claim to have them but when I got to each, they were out of stock.
Amazon lists them, but they must be made of gold.
The girl in Ace told me that she couldn't get them. :h
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
21 REPLIES 21

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My biggest concern is finding lids for my canning jars. I have found a few but, they are so expensive I could by the pre-canned food cheaper then the lids for the jars. I did get some generic ones, I hope they seal well.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mobeewan wrote:
A possible explanations of any shortages of filled 1 lb cylinders could be the recent freeze in Texas if shipments got diverted or people did panic buying when they saw what was happening in Texas.

Shortages of goods and materials are not a "recent" thing, goes "hand in hand" with the great "TP" shortage of 2020.

While the "big freeze" in TX may not have helped the already stretched beyond compare supply chain issues it is not the real problem.

All it takes is a good look at your local stores "canned goods" isle and you will notice that there are a lot of shelves devoid of many of the less popular canned food choices..

It isn't because everyone bought them up, it is because of steel shortages.

Go over to the soda isles and you will notice a considerable reduction in brand "offerings" sitting on the shelves..

It isn't because all of those products were hoarded or sent to TX because of the big freeze, it is because of the aluminum shortages..

Go to your lumber yards and you will have a difficult time locating a lot of popular lumber sizes and the offerings you will find are priced well over three times of what it used to be.

It isn't because folks hoarded lumber but because lumber mills/producers had to shut down or had to reduce work force..

Supply chains have been interrupted and often completely halted for nearly a yr, so now days you HAVE to be very patient and WAIT for supplies to show up once and a while. Otherwise, your going to have to take a lot of long drives and visit a lot of stores to find what you are wanting.

OR you can simply just order off of the Internet and hope you will get it in the next six months..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No kidding? They're in short supply?
I'd get a refill adapter ASAP then. Works well. Sometimes I refill them (if I'm bored, lol, or remember to).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
A possible explanations of any shortages of filled 1 lb cylinders could be the recent freeze in Texas if shipments got diverted or people did panic buying when they saw what was happening in Texas.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bukhrn wrote:
My local Sams club says "Not available at your local store" so I checked 5 others in eastern Va, and got the same message. Must be a Va. thing.

You will have to go personally to the Sam's club, often times their inventory shown for the stores in their online websites do not always show the inventory quantities or availability correctly..

Happens that my DD works in our local Sam's club, even they sometimes are not able to get correct answer if they have it in stock from their own internal systems and they have to walk around the store to see if they have it.

Typically found around the seasonal summer stuff like their charcoal/grilling/outdoor furniture items..

But, yes, there are steel shortages which may be affecting stores capability of getting disposable cylinders, my local WM often is out of them, have a Rural King, none in stock the last time I looked, haven't tried Tractor Supply lately (hate that store as it is a dirty disheveled pig pen), didn't see any at my local Lowes or Home depot the last times I was there.

On edit..

You might wish to try just propane when searching online, not "Coleman".. You don't NEED to buy Coleman brand propane..

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
depending on what you need them for, you can get a hose to go on a 20lb tank then connect to the 1lb device connections. That might be a good solution.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Maybe it's a regional issue. I just bought a pack of 4 at my local Walmart yesterday and there were tons of them. Maybe try Walmart.com with a ship to store option.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
My local Sams club says "Not available at your local store" so I checked 5 others in eastern Va, and got the same message. Must be a Va. thing.

Here in PA, my local Sam's Club is out of stock, the next three have it.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
Have no issue finding them at my local Sam's club, they sell them in a six pack for $20.. But yes, No refillable propane cans have gotten scarce, the normal places I typically buy them at no longer have them..

I believe part of the problem is a metal shortage, metals like steel and aluminum has caused a lot of shortages of pretty much anything made of those metals..

Refrigerators, most any home appliances, lawn mowers there are shortages..

Soda cans, yeah, hard to find consistent supply of some brands and types so it wouldn't surprise me that there may be a shortage of disposable propane cans..

See Supply chain shortages

Heck, if you need lumber or building materials, there is major shortages there and the prices have nearly tripled since Jan 2020..

Needed some 2x12x8 ft treated boards to fix a shed floor, paid $25 per stick back in Dec 2020, those used to be less than $11 each..

Been hearing rumors of 1/2" 4x8 sheets of plywood well over $55 per sheet!

Now we just may end up with a another TP shortage since there is a cargo ship stranded (run a ground)in the Suez Canal and is blocking ship traffic causing ships to be rerouted adding a half million miles to the goods trip around the blocked canal..
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
I just saw shelves of them at Wal-Mart today.
Not my WalMart, in Store or online
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Try Home Depot, Lowes, Mennards. The disposable propane bottles. Does not matter much what name is on them so long as it is Propane. can usually be found at ever big box home improvement. Sam's Costco. and Joe's hardware(generic for every hardware store on the planet)

Caution however there is different gas (MAP)comes in the same kind of bottle...NOT for use in cooking

Actually "MAPP" gas was acceptable for use for cooking, does burn at higher temps than straight propane, sold in yellow 1 lb disposable containers.

Downside was MAPP gas cost more than propane making it less cost effective for cooking.

MAPP gas was used for used as a replacement for Oxy-Acetylene torch welding but turned out less than ideal since MAPP gas has a high Hydrogen content which made very brittle welds.

I have used MAPP gas to do light "brazing", it did work OK for that although I am sure it could have introduced some Hydrogen in the few items I brazed.

In 2008 production of MAPP gas was discontinued and a new "version" was introduced as "MAP-Pro" and that burns at cooler temp than MAPP gas but higher than Propane.

You may be able to find BOTH NOS (New Old Stock)MAPP (once the supply stock runs out it will no longer be available) and MAP-Pro, they are both sold in yellow cans but I can assure you, the prices will make you think twice for cooking use.. A 2 pack of MAP-Pro on Amazon is running right around $40+

I have not tried MAP-Pro, haven't the need now that I have a Oxi-Acetylene torch set laying around.

Found a write up about MAPP gas.. HERE

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have 5 of the refillable Flame King 1 lb cylinders that I bought online from Home Depot about 4 or 5 years ago. They had discounted them to half price. I bought 4 individually and the 5th one came with a filling rig and stand as a kit.

I found out there was a recall and was worried that I might have some of the defective cylinders because they were discounted so cheaply when I bought them. All of mine are okay with serial numbers ranging higher than those listed in the recall.

If you have purchased any you might check to see if you have one. They were sold under the brands Flame King, U-haul and Little Camper. The recall notification lists the 3 brands and serial numbers. These include the standard Coleman size refills and the slightly taller skinnier cylinders typically used with torches. The serial numbers are stamped into the base ring.

The current short supply may be due to there being an option for refund or replacement along with production cuts because of the WuFlu. I was going to buy about 3 or 4 additional cylinders around April of last year but there were none available anywhere.

The recall was because when unscrewing the cylinder the valve on top of the cylinder could unscrew from the top of the cylinder instead of unscrewing from the appliance or Coleman hose or fittings.

Flame King 1 lb cylinder recall.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I have four of the Flame King bottles, and I like them much more than the disposable bottles I refilled for years. The Flame Kings fill much faster using the same adapter I used with the disposable bottles.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked about, but it is an excellent alternative, and I can buy them locally.

x2. since they have a easily accessible hex screw vent, they are VERY easy to refill.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dedmiston
I just saw shelves of them at Wal-Mart today.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230