cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our first, and last, TT rental experience

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
I'll post a tl;dr; list below with a summary of our troubles. But here's our story.

We used to tow a Coleman popup, but lately we've been renting cabins. We wanted to get back into having our own RV, and figured renting would let us get our feet wet. So, we reserved a trailer and a spot at a state park. The rental was bought new at the start of the season, and would be sold as used at the end of the season. A 21' Apex Nano.

About a week before the rental, I called with a few questions to make sure I'd have what I needed. WD hitch and ball, check. Correct dates reserved, check. Pickup 9AM on our first rental day, check. That was the big one. They open at 9, and we wanted to pick it up early, so we could load our stuff and get to the campground before dark.

We show up at the rental place about 9:05 AM, the 3rd of 4 families there to pick up at 9 AM. We were in line as we heard the 1st family get told, 'Oh, you needed to call in to set up your pickup time. We'll have that ready in 15-20 minutes.'

I nervously look at our paperwork. I know I had called in, but was it recorded? Our paperwork said 12:00 PM pickup time! :E By the time it came to our turn, we knew what to expect. 'Sorry, this pickup time reservation is new this year and we're still getting it sorted.' Well, you've had all summer?!

So we wait. And wait. And wait. Family #2 was the first out of the parking lot. At 10 AM. Family #1 and ourselves were leaving around 11:15. (Boy, was the garage guy upset when he was told we'd need a WD hitch... which we had reserved and paid for months earlier.)

They had done a walk-through at the rental place, but it was quite rushed... as they 'weren't used to all these folks picking up at 9 AM'. I wanted to do a thorough walk-through, but that wasn't to be. We tried to note anything damaged or out of place, like the one cabinet door hanging off the hinge, or the blinds that were busted, or missing laminate on some of the trim. But they were in a hurry.

So... now we're on the road, back to our place to load up. We get into our driveway, slide out the slide-out (we hadn't done that during walk through) and realize there is dog food under the slide-out and pet hair EVERYWHERE. (We don't mind dogs, but if we're told it's been cleaned, it should be clean.) My wife got to work cleaning the trailer (another 45 minutes) while I went to work figuring out why the fridge was beeping. I have pictures of what was cleaned, and it was filthy.

As for the fridge, it was warm, since it hadn't been running. (wasn't ready for 9AM pickup) This particular fridge will 'run' on battery, but only if it has a propane flow for backup. I don't tow with propane tanks open so it was beeping at us to let us know it still wasn't running. So, I finally get it starting to cool down, but now we realize it will be hours till the fridge is ready to use. Okay, we have a backup electric Coleman cooler we had gotten ready just in case. Store the food in that and run it in the truck of the DC power.

We finally get loaded, on the road, and to our campground. Back in, and start levelling. The last jack to stabilize... damaged! (again, rushed walk-through) Played with it a bit, and got it down, but I don't know it actually did much, it still felt loose. And by now of course, it's getting dark.

So, Monday, our first day, was a bit stressful.

We get into camping, go to cook... and the only ventilation is the windows. The vent in the roof has a fan that works, but the crank handle to open the vent, not supplied. The outdoor cook stove? Not supplied. The rental place keeps them so that at the end of the season they can sell the camper with all the add-ons intact.

PS Do all RV AC units sound like a jet engine the entire time they run?

Wednesday or Thursday I attempted to figure out why the black water tank was smelling (we had used it a bit, but mostly the camp bathhouse). Emptied the tank, yet still saw stuff just below the toilet. Using a stick, I cleared the clog that we'd towed with us from the rental place. Ah, so you are supposed to see clearly way down the pipes.

Thursday evening my wife goes to start dinner, notices a puddle under the sink. The PEX fittings were leaking. Called the after hours number, left a message, and the fella told us somebody would come out the next day... at some point.

The next day, at 7 AM, we wake up to a call from the service guy, he was on his way. Prompt service, the leak got fixed... but 7 AM on my vacation? One more note? Under the sink was a panel that was loose. It looked like it had been pulled off prior to our rental, and we had pointed it out during the walk-through. Well, this panel is right where you'd need to look to figure out where the leak was coming from!! :h

After that, Friday went pretty well. The weather got colder, so we nervously tried the furnace. It worked, but we didn't turn it up too high. Saturday was colder, we turned the furnace up... and it wouldn't work at all. Checked if we had propane and yes, we did. Check the 12V fuse, it was still good. Shut the furnace and thermostat down a while to reset it, and got it working a little more, then it conked out again. So, that was it. They had given us an extra day for the rental cause of the leak, but we took it back Sunday AM (our original return day) cause we were just done.

So... will we rent again? No, and definitely not from this place. Time to start looking for something of our own so that we can make sure it has what we expect. For now, we're trying to brush ourselves off and hopefully, laugh about it. Hope you had a good chuckle too. I really wonder what some of those other folks that rented the same day went through. ๐Ÿ™‚

TL;DR; (Too Long, Didn't Read)
- Had to wait 2 hours at the rental location for the Trailer
- Had to clean the 'cleaned and inspected' trailer before loading
- Damaged levelling jack
- Fridge not cooling
- Water Leak
- Clogged black tank line
- Missing parts (ie. vent crank handle, outdoor stove)
- Furnace didn't work
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
19 REPLIES 19

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
There again....you get what you pay for. A $7.25 minimum wage isn't going to buy much.

Paying that same person $15 an hour isn't going to make them a better employee, just a more expensive one.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, I have owned three trailers. All of them have developed some problem or another.
I have owned probably twenty vehicles. all of them have had one problem or another.
I have owned four homes. All of them has developed one problem or another.
I have had three wives, all of them developed one problem or another
Life ain't problem free,when they are your own problems they are not as serious as problems caused by others.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
pitch wrote:
JoeH wrote:
Consider it a preview of what you will be up against if/when you buy your own unit.

No,If it was their own trailer,the mess either would not be there, or cleaned up when it happened. The black tank would have been clean, the fridge would have been running and cool, the maintenance and repair would have been completed.
Rental experience is not at all equal to ownership!

Ownership is not just a breeze. While the OP discovered the issues last minute and had to deal with them. If he owned the unit he would still have had to discover issues and deal with them.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Atwood Air Conditioners are very quiet.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Consider it a preview of what you will be up against if/when you buy your own unit.

Bet reply yet. The problems that the OP had pale in comparison to what I had to deal with on a new trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JoeH wrote:

Fortunately, in the 3 campers now that weโ€™ve owned, I wouldnโ€™t consider the OPs issues with his rental tone indicative of all campers. Or even many of them.
Maybe Iโ€™m lucky, knock on woodโ€ฆlol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:

No,If it was their own trailer,the mess either would not be there, or cleaned up when it happened. The black tank would have been clean, the fridge would have been running and cool, the maintenance and repair would have been completed.
Rental experience is not at all equal to ownership!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Super_Dave wrote:
My wife was recently diagnosed with cancer so we have decided to sell our 5th wheel and try Airb&b trips versus RV rental.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but...

We do Airbnb in most winters (usually overseas and exempting last year) and it's a great option. Takes a little more time going thru the property listing. We haven't found any outright false photos but some get creative in how they take pictures. Overall a really nice option.

If we are going to stay more than a few days, a hotel gets old really quick. Nice to have a separate living room with couch vs constantly sitting on the bed. Also helps control costs. We usually eat breakfast in, have lunch out and then something light for dinner back at the apartment. We also make sure to look for a place with laundry. Surprising how cheap it can be when you stay for 2-6weeks vs the normal tourist travels.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
On the up-side - what better experience to see if you are up to the challenge to return to RV ownership.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Still better than a good day at work!!
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
sorry to hear that, Dave. Hope she will be OK going forward. good luck with AirB&B some of the towns in my county have banned AirB&B and Vrbo because of out-of-control parties.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My wife was recently diagnosed with cancer so we have decided to sell our 5th wheel and try Airb&b trips versus RV rental.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
That sounds horrible. I don't blame you for being upset.

I have to give you a hard time for the fridge though. Go ahead and turn on the LP while you tow. That's the only practical way to cool the fridge and keep it cold.

I drove a friend/coworker to El Monte RV when she was renting a Class C for a cross-country relocation (long story). I was prepared to help her with the walk through since she had never used an RV before. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the good job they did with her on the walk through.

I have a hunch that not all rental outfits are created equal.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Other than that, did your family enjoy the experience? Do you think you're ready to re-enter the arena and buy an RV?

Oh also, I think you're lucky that the mobile tech contacted you bright and early to get a jump on the job. You could have had to blow a day sitting around waiting for the tech to arrive.

Agreed 100% about El Monte RV, I'm not sure I would have ended up jumping into this lifestyle if their service hasn't been so great. They made the rental experience great.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH