cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

coronavirus...put it into perspective

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Not to make light of the corona virus as I am sure more will die from it but.....this is for the United States in 2017

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimerโ€™s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

coronavirus: 298 so far

So...try to stay away from crowds....but don,t panic...imo
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze
145 REPLIES 145

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Just wait - that's all I have to say. Oh - and please don't consume chemicals for cleaning fish tanks even though someone told you that its a cure. Good luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone who has had a flight cancelled recently is now a kidnap victim? (They can't go where they want to, when they want to)

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
am1958 wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Lantley wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
1duckie4u wrote:
As an individual, you are not entitled to make the decision for the rest of us that you should be allowed to put our lives at risk for your "right" to roam the country as you wish. Stay healthy and help others stay healthy.

Society doesn't care how its decisions negatively affect me, but I'm supposed to care how my decisions negatively affect society.

When it's potentially life or death scenario for someone else in society, yes you should care!
Your either part of the problem or part of the solution

Kidnapping is one of the most heinous crimes in society (your precious society). When I was a child the punishment for kidnapping in many states was death. It was on a level with murder and rightly so, in my opinion.

My wife has been effectively kidnapped by society. She can not return to the USA from Colombia for at least 30 days and maybe forever, if that's what "society" wants. She has the legal right to return to the USA but because of a decree by the President of Colombia she can not leave that country right now. I might say there is some argument for this action if they said "If someone wants to travel they must first take a virus test and if they fail the test they can't travel." But that's not what they did. They just cancelled her return flight and the return of everyone else.

You may say, 'It's not kidnapping.' And legally you are right. Society makes the law. But Society makes mistakes. Once Society said you could own slaves. Then they changed their minds. Right and wrong did not change. Society was wrong. Once they said 'No abortion', now they say 'Abortion on demand.' Society has to be wrong with one of those. They can't both be right. And just because society says 'We want to do this and we can do this.' that doesn't make it right. Might does not make right.

She has been effectively kidnapped by society for its selfish reasons. Society doesn't care about her (or me), only itself. Therefore, there is no moral reason why I should care about what is in society's best interest. You're not responsible for my life. I'm not responsible for your life. If a virus comes along and it gets spread by normal activities that does not give society any moral right to take away the freedoms of others for its selfish cowardly reasons. Fact.

So don't try to take the moral high ground with me, because you don't have it.
A cogent argument eloquently stated... I applaud you Sir...

Comparing a shutter in place order or a travel ban to a kidnapping is silly. There are plenty of people required to stay in their own homes. Does that mean their kidnapped too.
Should we just let everyone travel freely and let the virus spread at its maximum rate and overwhelm the health system. Which will ultimately cause maximum virus induced deaths.
This is deeper than kidnapping and loss of freedom.
This is about death. This is about lives being taken away not freedom. Despite how uncomfortable or unpleasant staying in place can be it is a far cry from death.
Should people die in order to let others make it home?
At the end of it all freedom can be restored however lost lives cannot.
So we can all stamp are feet and pound are fist and deal with the frustration of confinement wherever you are, knowing that your sacrifice, compliance and suffering is saving the life of someone
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
on a lighter note, sorta.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/we-will-send-police-with-flame-throwers-italian-mayors-lose-it-a...
โ€œWho is **** supposed to even see you with your hair all done in a casket? Do you understand the casket will be closed?โ€

I actually did laugh for a second, then the tears came.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Lantley wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
1duckie4u wrote:
As an individual, you are not entitled to make the decision for the rest of us that you should be allowed to put our lives at risk for your "right" to roam the country as you wish. Stay healthy and help others stay healthy.

Society doesn't care how its decisions negatively affect me, but I'm supposed to care how my decisions negatively affect society.

When it's potentially life or death scenario for someone else in society, yes you should care!

Kidnapping is one of the most heinous crimes in society (your precious society). When I was a child the punishment for kidnapping in many states was death. It was on a level with murder and rightly so, in my opinion.

My wife has been effectively kidnapped by society. She can not return to the USA from Colombia for at least 30 days and maybe forever, if that's what "society" wants. She has the legal right to return to the USA but because of a decree by the President of Colombia she can not leave that country right now. I might say there is some argument for this action if they said "If someone wants to travel they must first take a virus test and if they fail the test they can't travel." But that's not what they did. They just cancelled her return flight and the return of everyone else.

You may say, 'It's not kidnapping.' And legally you are right. Society makes the law. But Society makes mistakes. Once Society said you could own slaves. Then they changed their minds. Right and wrong did not change. Society was wrong. Once they said 'No abortion', now they say 'Abortion on demand.' Society has to be wrong with one of those. They can't both be right. And just because society says 'We want to do this and we can do this.' that doesn't make it right. Might does not make right.

She has been effectively kidnapped by society for its selfish reasons. Society doesn't care about her (or me), only itself. Therefore, there is no moral reason why I should care about what is in society's best interest. You're not responsible for my life. I'm not responsible for your life. If a virus comes along and it gets spread by normal activities that does not give society any moral right to take away the freedoms of others for its selfish cowardly reasons. Fact.

A cogent argument eloquently stated... I applaud you Sir...

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
1duckie4u wrote:

2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

1duckie4u
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
1duckie4u wrote:

We the people are society. So, I would think that if you have a conscience, yes. Or would you accept that same reasoning from someone who harmed a loved one because of a negative decision they made to do so?

1duckie4u
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
1duckie4u wrote:

I wondered how long it would be before people started shaming others for using their RV's.

I have been a Full-Timer since 2011, who on Thanksgiving Day of 2019 became a full-time caregiver for my parents because my 91 year old mother broke her hip and also suffers from COPD and my 95 year old father, although physically still in relatively good shape, is not able to care for her on his own. So I am here with them indefinitely. There was no shaming others for using their RV's. Actually, there was no shaming at all. If this were not my current situation, I would still be full-timing in my RV. The "right" to roam the country as you wish, referred to those with the attitude of not caring that they were putting others at risk because someone just made up a bunch of rules about what they could or couldn't do. My perspective is from us as human beings respecting each other as human beings and being considerate of each other always, but especially in the circumstances we find ourselves in now. Since this started, I've made sure to take my parents somewhere at least once a week so they can still feel alive. But, I do so respecting the boundaries and abiding by the mandates of my state officials in order to protect them and myself as well as others.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
DallasSteve wrote:
1duckie4u wrote:

I wondered how long it would be before people started shaming others for using their RV's.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Worth the read.

This makes perfect sense and I bet he's not far off....
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
1duckie4u wrote:

Only life or death or are there other scenarios, like say kidnapping that should concern me when it happens to someone else in society?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
DallasSteve wrote:
1duckie4u wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
RV daytrader wrote:
Not to make light of the corona virus as I am sure more will die from it but.....this is for the United States in 2017

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimerโ€™s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

coronavirus: 298 so far

So...try to stay away from crowds....but don,t panic...imo

Just two days later and the total is over 400.