cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cracked Propane fittings

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone been notified of the recall described in the following YouTube video?

RV recall
8 REPLIES 8

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
The info is also wrong in that the recall notice was a batch release. It included other items not related to the gas issue. So, not all the manufactures mentioned had gas issues, some were cracked insulation on electrical wires or a mounting screw that could cause a part to come loose. This is borderline sensationalism reporting for the panic effects.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not arguing the potential failure of the parts, nor the danger that a cracked fitting would present. But the author of the original article that the Youtube video refers to claims that 22,000 RVs have fittings that ARE leaking. That's a lie. And he makes that claim twice. And until the NHTSA actually announces a recall (along with the commensurate fix), it is premature for the manufacturers to "announce" anything. That's not "trying to keep it quiet", but rather following protocol and waiting till the full situation/remedy is known.

Dutch_12078 wrote:
I'm on the NHTSA recalls mailing list, and get notices almost daily of various vehicle related recalls. RV's of various makes and models have been on the lists numerous times over the past several weeks for the cracked QD issue.
If that's the case, then it would seem that owners of these RVs are indeed being notified, and the fittings will indeed be replaced. Again, exactly the way the system is supposed to work.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
If this issue was as serious as the lawyer on YouTube insists, they would be telling owners of affected RVs not to use their propane systems.
Spreading FUD about RV manufacturers is good for his business.

4x4van wrote:
I've read that initial article from Ron (referenced in the Youtube video). Yes, this is serious, however... He wrongly states that all 22,000 RVs have cracked/leaking fittings. In fact, he states that twice, in both the first and second paragraphs. Finally, in the 4th paragraph, he admits that these fittings "could" crack when owners torque them down. If they were all cracked/leaking, then the recall would already be under way. Not to downplay the seriousness, but over stating the danger is usually counter productive. The NHTSB is aware and is following the proper protocols; there is no reason to panic.

Believe it or not just because the fitting does not show cracks now, if the brass alloy used to manufacture the fitting has been contaminated by another incompatible material, cracks will eventually form due to break down of the brass in the fittings caused by the incompatible material. Over time the brass fitting will become weaker and very well could crack on it's own where threaded together since the threads are still under tension when they were originally screwed tightly together.

This break down is similar to what happens when welding stainless steel pipe and fittings, in which you use stainless steel welding rods or filler metal that has been contaminated with copper during the manufacture of the rods & filler metal. The copper will eventually migrate into the grain of the stainless pipe and fittings causing cracks and causing the metal to fail.

Just doing a visual inspection of the gas fitting may not detect cracks that have not yet reached the surface of the brass and the RV propane fittings on recall are used in the extremely low pressure part of the system measured in Inches of Mercury and not in pounds per square inch.

Besides the RV manufacturers who used the compromised fittings have known about this for months and have been trying to keep it quiet until it has to be announced. They are busy conducting record sales and don't need the embarrassment that any of their RV's are affected.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on the NHTSA recalls mailing list, and get notices almost daily of various vehicle related recalls. RV's of various makes and models have been on the lists numerous times over the past several weeks for the cracked QD issue.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If this issue was as serious as the lawyer on YouTube insists, they would be telling owners of affected RVs not to use their propane systems.
Spreading FUD about RV manufacturers is good for his business.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I've read that initial article from Ron (referenced in the Youtube video). Yes, this is serious, however... He wrongly states that all 22,000 RVs have cracked/leaking fittings. In fact, he states that twice, in both the first and second paragraphs. Finally, in the 4th paragraph, he admits that these fittings "could" crack when owners torque them down. If they were all cracked/leaking, then the recall would already be under way. Not to downplay the seriousness, but over stating the danger is usually counter productive. The NHTSA is aware and is following the proper protocols; there is no reason to panic.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Although my unit (2021 Forest River Heritage Glenn 338BAR) is not on the recall list I did notice that I had this problem and had it fixed under warranty.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I might believe this a little more.
Recall info

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker