cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curious

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I have been on these forums for many many years now.
I am just curious as to why most reported thefts and crime are from the West and South West.
Seems the Northeast is kind of a nirvana compared to the rest of the country.
26 REPLIES 26

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
all you have to do is watch Live PD and see that druggies and thieves are everywhere.

Or don't watch, and continue to believe in the basic goodness of people. Do you think the drug companies would advertise ED drugs on a news cast that instead of reporting "2 people where shot by unidentified black males in Chicago" reported how many people in Chicago did not get shot?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
all you have to do is watch Live PD and see that druggies and thieves are everywhere. I have never had anything stolen and I have been from FL to WA to TX to all the Gulf states and never locked anything but my hitch head up. No, I have not been to the South West except for the Grand Canyon area, no problem there either.

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
We stay in military campgrounds. Gated community with armed guards??never had a problem

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
gbopp wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
when the family was outside I took a big plate of pancakes down to them, thought they must not have enough to eat...

The kids were not looking for food in your cooler. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Likely right, but worth the cost of the pancakes to see kids faces, and bet dad had some questions...
Thats what I thought as well. It would of been fun to hear their parents conversation after you left.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
when the family was outside I took a big plate of pancakes down to them, thought they must not have enough to eat...

The kids were not looking for food in your cooler. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Likely right, but worth the cost of the pancakes to see kids faces, and bet dad had some questions...

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Never anything stolen from a campground in MI. But rest stops always seem to have a few strange people hanging around for one thing or another. Years back I had a couple guys creep up to our fiver and dually when we had it. The dog alerted me to them and I turned and looked. They were coming up from the side and slightly behind me while sitting in the drivers seat waiting for my wife to come back from the restroom.

The dog barked at them and they turned around and walked away after I saw them. So now I always have an eyes looking everywhere. But we can use the on board bathroom now so no reason to leave the rig.

Our storage yard has had RV's and Travel trailers broken into more than once. Had a fiver at the dealer and the lot got ransacked one night. Tried to get into ours but must have gotten scared off, just damaged the lock

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just a weekend camper that stays close to home here in southwest MN. I've never had anything stolen and I don't bother to lock anything. But,,,, I don't have anything worth stealing. If they walk into my camper and take my 7 year old 24 inch TV then they must need it worse then me.

The campgrounds I frequent always have someone at them and a park host stats at the campground. So no one is going to make off with my batteries or propane tanks without being seen.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Been RVing in the south west for 35years and have never had anything stolen. . ""????????
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pitch wrote:
I am just curious as to why most reported thefts and crime are from the West and South West.

Ferndale Michigan? Airstream trailer was swiped just last week
It has since been recovered.

One of the things that happened here in MI (And eventually in half a dozen other subscriber states) is a State Police Dispatcher who decided to go an extra inch NOT a extra mile but an extra inch.. When he ran a vehicle registration he also submitted the Vehicle Identification number back to the DMV for a 2nd check.. now I won't go into the reasons I did this (opps Did I mention who it was) but the surprise was when the plate came back clean and belonging on the car...But the TITLE "Reported stolen (4 years ago) Immed Confirm with "E-Dress" .... Turns out the thief had stolen a out of state car. Tossed the plates. Forged a title and slapped clean plates on it.

He should just about be getting out of prison now..

Well the troopers wrote it up.. Submitted it. I got honored. But wait there is more.

ONe of my co-workers had a chat with one of our detectives
Suddenly I'm runnign 1000 plates a night using my method. I don't even look at 'em I just stack the responses up on the Detectives desk

5 Different Secretary Of State (DMV) branch offices got new managers and several auto theft rings shut down and arrested.

Well then the state started creating the querry screens (Back then I hand typed) and then they shipped them out to six subscriber states.

So swiping cars in MI and those six states.. Not as safe as it used to be. Much higher odds of getting caught.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
Only thing we've ever had stolen was at a music festival, and someone stole some beers out of a cooler that was sitting outside in the middle of the night ๐Ÿ˜‰

Raccoons will steal anything....
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
kellem wrote:
We actually had a very strange incident just last weekend while camping.

As we were approaching our trailer from an afternoon hike, an older clean cut gentleman exited our trailer.
We asked " Sir what are you doing " he replied " had to use the bathroom ".
We just looked at each other as he calmly walked away.....strange,nothing taken.

help good old men from going bad...lock your trailer, take your keys

Trust me, we will from now on.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
pitch wrote:

Totally agree. The West in particular is awful. Just trust me and stick to the Northeast.

๐Ÿ˜‰

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
pitch wrote:

Totally agree. The West in particular is awful. Just trust me and stick to the Northeast.

๐Ÿ˜‰
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
We actually had a very strange incident just last weekend while camping.

As we were approaching our trailer from an afternoon hike, an older clean cut gentleman exited our trailer.
We asked " Sir what are you doing " he replied " had to use the bathroom ".
We just looked at each other as he calmly walked away.....strange,nothing taken.

help good old men from going bad...lock your trailer, take your keys
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle