cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC power

haasje
Explorer
Explorer
my name is John I’ve got a question regarding my 12V lights etc. In my motorhome. When I plug it in to AC power all my outlets are getting 115 volts also my AC works and microwave but no 12V stuff at all. Also from my RV battery no lights etc. However when I start my vehicle all the 12V items work. Could it be my converter or what?
Fuses are all good. Could I get some advice please.
9 REPLIES 9

haasje
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for everyone’s help with this issue. It was a bad battery and a 175A fuse. Thanks again
John Driessen.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bad battery gets my vote BUT checking fuses first doesn't cost anything.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^This.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Converter AND a bad battery (because the truck battery will run the 12v features).

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem to me that if he has no 12v power when connected to nothing that it would be the bad battery scenario. The fact that all the 12v items work when plugged into the truck tells me that the rest of the 12v system is working fine.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
12th Man Fan wrote:
Either a dead battery or bad converter. Not sure but I think the converters have internal fuses. Have you checked yours?

There are 3 suspects
ONE 12 volt house battery disconnect off (Very low probility)
Two Bad converter (Very high probility) resulting in a dead battery (Likewise)

Locate the converter.. Sometimes they are behind the power distribution panel.. But first on that panel look for a breaker marked CONV or CONVERTER.. make sure it is set (Cycle it)

IF the converter is part of the power panel.. Well we can talk about how to test it but I'm fairly sure it is NOT working. (There is one type of battery failure that will shut down a smart converter however)

If it is remote.... Well let me describe MY install
The power distribution panels (one each 12 and 120 volt not the same cover) are in the hall roughly amidships.

The converter itself is a PLUG IN Model all the way to the rear in a basement compartment... From time to Time I have to plug it back in.

Yup. Only once have I had to replace it (Rig was 12+ years old at the time) Thankfully the company that made it is on my alternative path.

For converters that are part of the power panel:
Progressive Dynamics 4600 (match the last two digits as close as you can to what you have now)

For Stand alones 9200 (And the same comment on the last two digits)

Made in the USA no less.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect a bad battery as well. Maybe you can find an electrical person with a meter that can help troubleshoot.
How old is your battery or batteries?
I would measure the battery voltage right at the posts where the cables are connected. Also verify that the circuit breaker that feeds the converter with 120 V is not tripped
Let us know the battery voltage and we can go from there.

Also, I might be able to help you over the phone so feel free to give me a call.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battery supplies RV DC System when NOT connected to AC Power Source
AC Power Source supplies AC to Converter which then supplies RV DC System and maintain/charge battery

Battery POS Cable In-line fuse blown would only prevent battery from supply DC
Converter Reverse Polarity Fuses blown will prevent converter from supplying DC/charging battery (can be on backside of converter or installed on DC Dist Fuse Panel

If you have an INverter.....battery would be source of DC so battery POS cable in-line fuse (Or DC Circuit Breaker) would be suspect

More details would be helpful.....
Year/Brand/Model of RV
Brand/Model of Converter ----or Inverter if you have that instead of converter

CONverter...AC Voltage IN and DC Voltage OUT
INverter....DC Voltage IN and AC Voltage OUT
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Either a dead battery or bad converter. Not sure but I think the converters have internal fuses. Have you checked yours?
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition