cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disability Mods

clev
Explorer
Explorer
No posts; hmmm? Is no one but me disabled? I have Muscular Dystrophy, wear 2 knee braces and use a cane so that I can be mobile. Oh, did I mention that I have Stage IV cancer? My last RV was a TT, and I installed grab bars all through it to assist me as I walked. I also installed one on the wall beside my bed. I replaced the low commode with a higher one, and finally, installed bolts all the way through the wall to better secure the grab bar beside the entry door. We removed the dining table and chairs to make room for my lift chair, and as it is just my wife and me, we dined on a flip up table. Anyway, sold that in July, and the lady that bought it, did so because of the ADA mods. I now have a new five and am going through the same mods. We just replaced the steps with Glowstep Revolution, and at this point, I'm not impressed.
'12 F-350 SD CC, SRW, LWB, 4X4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front hitch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package.
4 REPLIES 4

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have arthritis in my knees and when I first got the MH my knees would throb after 1/2 hr ride. There is an extended point at which my knees feel better but my slide in back of the chair prevented that. So I sat in my car and measured the knee angle with a protractor and duplicated that angle in the MH by raising the seat up which helped immensely. I used a block of oak and longer grade 8 bolts to fasten the seat back down. I also used a 4 x 4 in block of oak to place my heel on just before the gas pedal further extending my knee in a more comfortable position. I can now drive about 3-4 hrs before the throbbing sets in. My second mod is that I always wear shorts so I can rub on Bio freeze or another arthritic rub before the pain gets too bad. My third trick which my wife hates is when I fully extend my leg and rest it on the doghouse for a few mins. I like the lower dog house of the WH chassis for that reason.

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
I can see this forum isn't very active but maybe because of the things we are all going through. You definitely sound great and with it. I sure hope you get all the mods done to suit you!! God Bless!!!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Must have missed your first posting. We aren't really disabled yet, just getting a lot older and unable to do a lot of what we used to consider normal. Sounds like you are doing a good job of coping, and we all wish you the best. Stay in touch and let us all know what other changes that will help us. We have so far raised the toilet with a riser.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
There are others here.
Many posts in December maybe your settings are for post from the last 14 days try looking for last 3 months
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind