cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disabling only charger on WFCO 8700 series.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. Converted to a large Lifepo4 battery and I have a new standalone charger for such as the 8700 series WFCO isn't lithium compatible.

I also have large inverter installed with an automatic transfer switch.

I want to completely disable the charge function from the WFCO so that I can continue to use the WFCO's circuit breakers and 12v fuses for distrubution, but basically leave it only for that.

Without disabling the charge function, when the camper is unplugged and the transfer switch automatically flips over to the inverter, a "loop" is created where the inverter is drawing from the Lifepo4, then that power goes to the WFCO/distribution panel (to power receptacles and such), but the WFCO then will try to charge the battery at the same time....from the battery. Needless to say that's a big wasteful loop and not cool.

Any ideas? Yeah, I could just disconnect the WFCO and go with a standalone panel for both the 120v and 12v side of things, but that would be a PITA.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark
6 REPLIES 6

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
PrivatePilot wrote:
Thanks all. For some reason the obvious bit that the charger portion of the unit would be on one of it's own breakers didn't occur to me. Yep, that'll be easy! Thanks.

it may not be. Mine used to be but you also have an auto change over which means it could be hooked up like mine or may not be.

It depends on what your auto changeover is for. My changeover is for inverter or shore power. So, if you have that set up you don't want your charger left factory instead it would be spliced into the shore power feed side of the auto transfer so when plugged in it has power, but when not plugged in it doesn't. This way when you turn on your inverter you don't have to worry about shutting off the braker.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
PrivatePilot wrote:
I want to completely disable the charge function from the WFCO so that I can continue to use the WFCO's circuit breakers and 12v fuses for distrubution, but basically leave it only for that.

Here's how I disabled my converter
It's easy to do.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unplug the converter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. For some reason the obvious bit that the charger portion of the unit would be on one of it's own breakers didn't occur to me. Yep, that'll be easy! Thanks.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove the black wire that feeds the converter charging unit with 120v power.
Yes if the converter is on a separate breaker by all means just move the breaker to the off position.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a circuit breaker (or fuse) for the 12vdc converter. Flip that off. The battery 12vdc should still supply all the 12vdc circuits.
Factory transfer switches should stop the inverter from trying to charge the battery.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,