cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical question

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been a camper for a while, but relatively new to the RV style. 26" Class C (actually a Class B+). Pulled into our reserved camp site & set up. Slides out, leveled, water hooked up, plugged into electric (with EMS) and ready to settle in. Hotter than blazes so the air was turned on. After a few minutes we lost power. As I frantically ran in circles and turned off the air & everything else I could find the power came back on. I thought that's great. Then I looked at the EMS and saw an E2 error code. Open ground. Being electrically stupid, I thought good it foud the problem. All was clear and up & running. Turned on the air again and within a few minutes it happened again. Not knowing what to do & ringing wet from the heat I removed the EMS and plugged directly in to the power poll. All worked fine.
Was I just dumb & lucky or what. It was far too hot to do without air as DW & I are asthmatics & have respritory issues. It was getting later in the day & campgroun was full so no place to go.
Was this a totally wrong move on my part or what should I have done?

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
34 REPLIES 34

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Mayor30 wrote:
And now you have people with electric vehicles plugging in which will make things worse.

Please provide a link that supports your opinion.

Link? Why? If the campground has a low voltage problem already with just RVs plugged in, plugging in EVs too will not make it better.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Mayor30 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
You were promised by the RV park that they supplied โ€œgoodโ€ electrical power. They broke their promise and, Iโ€™ll wager, offered no refund.
If the EMS has a ground fault circuit then the problem could be with the trailer,not with the campground electric.I have come across a few trailers that worked fine on regular recepticales but would trip a GFI circuit because they have a very small leak to ground. Now if the EMS shut down because of low voltage,then that could be the campgrounds fault or even the utility providers fault. When everyone is running their A/C's,the voltage will drop. And now you have people with electric vehicles plugging in which will make things worse.

An EMS only looks at the incoming power. You could have an open ground issue in the RV and if the power coming from the pole is good the EMS will still send that voltage through to the coach after the programmed delay.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mayor30 wrote:
And now you have people with electric vehicles plugging in which will make things worse.

Please provide a link that supports your opinion.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
You were promised by the RV park that they supplied โ€œgoodโ€ electrical power. They broke their promise and, Iโ€™ll wager, offered no refund.
If the EMS has a ground fault circuit then the problem could be with the trailer,not with the campground electric.I have come across a few trailers that worked fine on regular recepticales but would trip a GFI circuit because they have a very small leak to ground. Now if the EMS shut down because of low voltage,then that could be the campgrounds fault or even the utility providers fault. When everyone is running their A/C's,the voltage will drop. And now you have people with electric vehicles plugging in which will make things worse.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the EMS is a Progressive Industries brand, they have a built in time delay on turn on. So, if there was a long enough power outage, maybe that started the time delay. In an RV it's sometimes hard to recognize a power failure flash because only the 120 volt devices react. I don't have experience with a power flash of a few seconds but I see the time delay every time a turn the pedestal breaker on. As stated a ground fault is only dangerous if there is a short somewhere. I would have no problem going without the EMS for a 30 amp connection upon a ground fault. However, 50 amp 240 is different deal. A ground fault there would have me worrying about the wiring integrity. A bad neutral on 50 amp can cause voltage swings enough to damage things. Note: neutral is different than ground. As stated above, using a dog bone to connect 30 amp into the 50 amp side would be good idea for most any kind of trouble with the 30 amp outlet.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
And back to the subject if I may.
My air conditioner just quit & showed a E7 code, Which I found out is loss of power. Checked my EMS and all reads normal. No error codes or anything out of norm. Turned the air off. Turned off the breaker at the post & waited a few minutes. Turned the breaker back on and then the air. It ran all night. What caused the loss of power? No coach breaker was tripped. All worked fine after I did this?
Was I wrong again/
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

dedmiston
nickthehunter wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Just for kicks though, I just looked through the logs and I've deleted twelve of your posts. They were all either political or blank.

The "blank" ones were the ones you changed to say "deleted".

The political ones were no-brainers. Political posts are against the forum rules. I delete them whether I agree with them or not (draw youw own conclusions from that).
sorry, must of been the wrong moderator; my sincere apologies!!

We're good. No worries.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
dedmiston wrote:
Just for kicks though, I just looked through the logs and I've deleted twelve of your posts. They were all either political or blank.

The political ones were no-brainers. Political posts are against the forum rules. I delete them whether I agree with them or not (draw youw own conclusions from that).
sorry, must of been the wrong moderator; my sincere apologies!!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
There's a lot of folks trying to teach a masters course in electrical engineering.

Point is you bought a safety device to let you know when there is an electrical problem. If you don't understand what the problem is, bypassing the safety device doesn't make a lot of sense.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

There's so much dogma here, and woe be to he who admits to deviating from the orthodoxy. Heaven help you if you publicly admit here that you skipped your water pressure regulator or your EMS. And shame on he who questions whether his setup really requires a weight distribution hitch. Are you continuing to tow that new trailer while you save up for a new truck? Yep, you're overweight. Never fear though, as the rest of us will soon be safe because the authorities have been notified and your insurance will be cancelled any minute.

Guess what: I forgot to brush my teeth one time last month and maybe I'm not wearing underwear today. Come at me, bro.

Sure, these are exaggerations, but not by much. I think we got a little more rigid during the pandemic too. People got a little edgy and the stress of not being able to camp and now the added stress of higher fuel costs and scarce reservations has distracted some folks from remembering the Golden Rule. I think a lot of people are spending more time behind the keyboard and less time actually camping nowadays, and it's making otherwise nice people say crappy things.

It would be awesome if people could use their own backspace keys more often and snip out the ugly things they typed before they post. We're losing that self control though.

Love one another.

Treat others as you would want to be treated.

And by the way, I'm actually wearing underwear today. See? People lie on the internet all the time. (And now you really can't be sure whether I'm wearing underwear or not, because I lied.)

This post needs to be at the top of every thread!

Maybe except the underwear part. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
nickthehunter wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

โ€ฆThere's so much dogma here, and woe be to he who admits to deviating from the orthodoxyโ€ฆ
Go back and read all those posts you deleted from ATC then then come back and preach to me me again about deviating from the orthodoxy and love they neighbor

You're talking to the wrong moderator. We aren't all the same. Bring it up with him.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
dedmiston wrote:

โ€ฆThere's so much dogma here, and woe be to he who admits to deviating from the orthodoxyโ€ฆ
Go back and read all those posts you deleted from ATC then then come back and preach to me me again about deviating from the orthodoxy and love they neighbor

dedmiston
wa8yxm wrote:
But Where as I know that in THEORY you can use the search tools to find one of the many answers to the same question in the past....

Correct. Telling someone to use the Search is very bad etiquette. It's also not great advice here since database issues from years ago have really hurt our search results.

A lot of people will just never understand that we don't have to respond to every single post. It's OK to just keep scrolling. Mumble your response to yourself or share it with your dog if you have to, but don't post if it's not going to be helpful.

Thumper's Mom had it right: If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all."

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230