cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No electric at rear receptacle for toad

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Tail lights on toad no longer work when hooked up to motorhome. Checked out the wiring harness for continuity - - all good. Then checked the Bargman receptacle on rear of motorhome - - no power. On closer inspection of the wiring harness, I discovered a couple of places where the wires had become bare from rubbing on the tow bar. Figured that a bare wire must have shorted out the circuit. Checked all the fuses in the motorhome that seem to have anything to do with towing. No blown fuses. Also checked for loose wires under the motorhome - - found none so far. I'm stumped!

Any ideas on what to check on next?
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy
9 REPLIES 9

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update! Safe travels!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - - it was a blown fuse. But the fuse sure didn't look blown, which made it hard to fine. Thanks everyone who responded for your help!
Doug

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
It's almost certainly some blown fuses that you haven't found. Your motorhome might have separate fuses if you have a factory Ford towing package on the chassis, and it's also entirely possible that the motorhome builder wired up the trailer plug with its own separate fuses. I would try to find those wires to the trailer plug and follow them to the front of the motorhome and look for inline fuses, or possibly a fuse block.

Thanks! I believe the problem is a blown fuse as well. Will keep working on that theory. I now have access to the 2006 E-450 trailer wiring diagram. That should help me sort it all out.
Doug

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
It's almost certainly some blown fuses that you haven't found. Your motorhome might have separate fuses if you have a factory Ford towing package on the chassis, and it's also entirely possible that the motorhome builder wired up the trailer plug with its own separate fuses. I would try to find those wires to the trailer plug and follow them to the front of the motorhome and look for inline fuses, or possibly a fuse block.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Best to use a test lamp! There could be several fuses, one for each function plus some have a control circuit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - I have a Ford E-450 chassis. Checked the fuse box inside to the left of the driver's wheel well. Also the fuse box under the hood on the right side as you face the hood. None of the fuses that supply power to the trailer (in this case my toad) seem to be blown using a visual inspection. May need to do a continuity test on the fuses.
Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked the trailer fuses on the MH?
Owner's manual for chassis should have their location.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
The problem has to be in the motorhome since there is no 12V power at the Bargman receptacle at the rear of the motorhome when MH running lights and/or emergency flashers are on. (Thankfully, running lights and emergency flashers work fine on the MH.)
Doug

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
check tow car fuses. inspect those wires again.