cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding propane prices on line.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Confession time...Driving down road in a larger city. I spot a place that has propane, coffee and is easy in and out and lots of parking. OK, I know need some propane. One tank empty and I'm thinking probably the other tank is 1/2 or below. I park a ways back, remove tanks out of TT and lug them over to his filling place by the hose. Wife goes inside to get us some coffee, I say fill them up. When guy is done I look at the gallon meter and remember how many gallons. Guy rings up coffee and propane and turns out he sells it for $3.74 a gallon. I usually don't drive around trying save 2 cents a gallon on something but $3.74 a gallon!!!

Anybody know where propane prices are posted on-line, sort of like gasbuddy?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
11 REPLIES 11

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not found a single website like gas buddy but FJ, Uhaul, and TS all post there prices on line. TS is the hardest to use because not all stores have propane and if they do many don't have the room for MH's. TS and Uhaul seem to be cheaper than FJ. I use Uhaul when home and FJ when traveling.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor Supply is a good place to buy at decent price. Large lot to park in too.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed an Ace hardware store price today - $3.29 per gallon. That is about average for Rhode Island.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Kentucky_Rambl1
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Tractor Supply. Here at the local TSC store in Ky. Just paid $1.79 a gallon.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Tractor Supply in the area, they are generally the least expensive.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
For the amount of usage I get out of two 30# cylinders I usually don't worry much about the pricing.

But I haven't seen pricing over $3/gallon since 2008
Two winters ago prices topped $5.00 gallon, if you could get it at all. Local to me they were rationing deliveries at $5.50 a gallon. Didn't fall back to the twos until Late April.
The dealer in question might have been caught up in state regulations. When we used to sell propane, we could have a minimum charge, which was necessary because some people wanted us to go out in the rain, crawl under their RV to hook up the fill hose only to find out that topping off their tank took a quarter of a Gallon of Propane. Some states, however, only allow sales by volume, minimum charges are not legal, so maybe the guy priced high to make the overall business viable.
Or maybe, propane was just plain expensive at the time he filled is tank which is very dependent on where he is located.

Highest I have ever paid was $3.25/G.
Never seen it higher.

As they say.........location, location, location
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some links. Rates change daily.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_dcus_nus_w.htm

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_a_EPD2F_prs_dpgal_w.htm

http://www.checkpropaneprices.com/

Keep in mind this is what THEY pay for it NOT what they SELL it for.

Here in florida I found one area that they paid 1.86 and sell it for 5.00.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are websites for it.

I found out that propane is NOT regulated and each vendor of propane can charge what ever they want. Blows my mind that the gov doesn't regulate propane.

I found a trend that some states are lower than others but will always run across a propane station that upsets that trend by charging 2 times more than the others.

When I lived in Wisconsin I never paid more than a couple of bucks per gal. for propane. Here in Florida my local propane guy gets almost 5 bucks per gal. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
For the amount of usage I get out of two 30# cylinders I usually don't worry much about the pricing.

Two winters ago prices topped $5.00 gallon, if you could get it at all. Local to me they were rationing deliveries at $5.50 a gallon. Didn't fall back to the twos until Late April.
The dealer in question might have been caught up in state regulations. When we used to sell propane, we could have a minimum charge, which was necessary because some people wanted us to go out in the rain, crawl under their RV to hook up the fill hose only to find out that topping off their tank took a quarter of a Gallon of Propane. Some states, however, only allow sales by volume, minimum charges are not legal, so maybe the guy priced high to make the overall business viable.
Or maybe, propane was just plain expensive at the time he filled is tank which is very dependent on where he is located.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
No.

The only on-line prices for propane I've seen are for Pilot & Flying J locations - and I had to use the MyPilot phone app to see those.

Someone ran a thread about need a gas buddy type app for propane on this forum a few months ago.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT