cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firearms in RVs in California

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know what the law is for carrying firearms and your RV? Is it considered a vehicle or a domicile?
14 REPLIES 14

dedmiston
Thoughts:

- Gun threads never last long here. They bring out the nuts on both sides.

- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and statistically you'll probably get correct answer here but good luck figuring out which one of the responses is correct.

- California is not a 2A friendly state.

- I would look for advice from reputable 2A sources like the NRA where they cite their sources and authorities, and then I would keep copies of these materials with me just in case I needed to justify my actions to anyone.

- And sadly, as much as I love CA, you're probably better off crossing the state off your itinerary if you're traveling with firearms.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Asking about gun carry advice on RV.net is tantamount to asking safe sex advice at a home for unwed mothers. It's quick, but usually sketchy advice.

Even the judges in this state don't know the laws about them.

They are learning quickly do to Boland v Bonta and others.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This will be closed soon!

CA your RV is your Domicile. How you store it is up to you IMHO as no one needs to see what you do inside your HOME.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The link I gave you answered that question by clicking on the Firearm laws pdf on the right.

Unless otherwise unlawful, any person over the age of 18 who is not prohibited from possessing firearms may have a loaded or unloaded firearm at his or her place of residence, temporary residence, campsite, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the person. Any person engaged in lawful business (including nonprofit organizations) or any officer, employee, or agent authorized for lawful purposes connected with the business may have a loaded firearm within the place of business if that person is over 18 years of age and not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms. (Pen.
Code, ยงยง 25605, 26035, and 26055.)
NOTE: If a personโ€™s place of business, residence, temporary residence, campsite, or private property is located within an area where possession of a firearm is prohibited by local or federal laws, such laws would prevail.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I travel all over the US which is why I suggested purchasing the book in my first post. Here is a link and consider your RV a vehicle, which is what California will consider it:
California Firearm laws

I only travel inside California and occasionally Nevada, Arizona, and Utah. Those states are not as strict as California. Upthread someone suggested that when driving the vehicle laws are applicable but when camped the RV is treated as a domicile.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I travel all over the US which is why I suggested purchasing the book in my first post. Here is a link and consider your RV a vehicle, which is what California will consider it:
California Firearm laws

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Arizona and Nevada are both pretty open with their gun laws and in most cases they allow weapon carry and recognize carry permits from other states. Like most states there are many locations where weapons are not allowed, such as schools, Federal buildings, bars, etc and in commercial nuclear & hydroelectric generating stations.The internet is your friend and a simple search will usually give you the answers. Just make sure that the answer you get about weapons is CURRENT.

Of course I did a search first but I could find nothing specific to motorhomes in California. I figured there might be someone here who lives in California and carries firearms.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arizona and Nevada are both pretty open with their gun laws and in most cases they allow weapon carry and recognize carry permits from other states. Like most states there are many locations where weapons are not allowed, such as schools, Federal buildings, bars, etc and in commercial nuclear & hydroelectric generating stations.The internet is your friend and a simple search will usually give you the answers. Just make sure that the answer you get about weapons is CURRENT.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
wjschill wrote:
On a lighter note. My DW and I traveled to the Hoover dam for the tour. I moved my 9mm to the trunk of the car as we had to go through a check point, and I didn't want it to be within arms distance.

Sure enough, they asked me if I had a weapon. I responded that I did, and it was in the trunk.

They turned us away, and we had to store it at a gun range about 20 miles away before we could enter the Hoover dam area parking.

My DW asked me why I just didn't tell the agents that I didn't have a weapon, to avoid the long drive back and forth for storage.

I replied, " Honey, we have Texas plates on both ends of this auto. Do you really think they would have let us through without an inspection"?

But, to the OP. I wouldn't go anywhere in our RV without a weapon. Especially CA.

Happy Travels!!

Skip

I always carry a shotgun but I'm going to start carrying pistols.

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
On a lighter note. My DW and I traveled to the Hoover dam for the tour. I moved my 9mm to the trunk of the car as we had to go through a check point, and I didn't want it to be within arms distance.

Sure enough, they asked me if I had a weapon. I responded that I did, and it was in the trunk.

They turned us away, and we had to store it at a gun range about 20 miles away before we could enter the Hoover dam area parking.

My DW asked me why I just didn't tell the agents that I didn't have a weapon, to avoid the long drive back and forth for storage.

I replied, " Honey, we have Texas plates on both ends of this auto. Do you really think they would have let us through without an inspection"?

But, to the OP. I wouldn't go anywhere in our RV without a weapon. Especially CA.

Happy Travels!!

Skip
KillingTime

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
on the road in California your firearm must be unloaded and in a locked container... unless you have a California CCW permit. In your campsite, you may treat your firearm as if in your own home.

To expand just a bit the magazine may be loaded but it may not be in the pistol. Both may be in the same locked container.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
on the road in California your firearm must be unloaded and in a locked container... unless you have a California CCW permit. In your campsite, you may treat your firearm as if in your own home.

Ok thanks.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get this book and get the update each year:
Travelers guide to firearm laws in each State
With the recent Supreme Court ruling on the 2nd Amendment, laws are changing daily.