cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Factory F-150 Brake Controller - any good?

CampinHappy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm picking up my new trailer tomorrow (7,500 gvwr) and I have a 2017 F-150 rated at 9,500 towable so I'm pretty comfortable with the TV. I'm wondering what others that have used the factory break controller that comes with the truck think of it's performance.

I've had the Prodigy in the past.

Thanks!
CampinHappy
West Texas Region
2021 Premier 29RK, 2017 F-150 pulling it fine
Former covered wagons include:

2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far :B) 4 boys who have flown the coop ๐Ÿ™‚
15 REPLIES 15

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, tow/haul mode and let the truck figure it out.
Check your trailer tire speed rating. Most are under 75 and many are 65.
Iโ€™ve found noticeable mpg differences in each 5mph increments above 55mph from TT vs. wind resistance. Around 65mph is my compromise sweet spot towing the TT for reasonable speed (time getting there) and mpg (10 mpg plus fractions) and not being a too slow road hazard. I say around 65mph because I let gravity do itโ€™s work downhill and not sweat the speed drop too much uphills (but I try to stay above 55).
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
CampinHappy wrote:
Well, good news. Got the trailer home in one piece. The truck worked flawlessly even with a 25 mph cross tail wind. Now I've just gotta figure out my speed, gear, and RPM's. I'll post another topic, but I was running around 3K rpm on a slight up hill grade, wind at our back and keeping our speed between 65-70. Sometimes it would be in 5th (I have a 6 speed) when there was a little more "up" it would drop into 4th and run around 3,200.

Nothing to figure out, Ford programmed the computer to do that for you. Put it in tow/haul mode and drive. 70 is a bit too fast for towing any high profile trailer if you care about safety and fuel usage.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Better than the Prodigy I had in the last one, 3 setting plus electric & electric over hydraulic. Last was great when I changed to disc's from the drums.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

CampinHappy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, good news. Got the trailer home in one piece. The truck worked flawlessly even with a 25 mph cross tail wind. Now I've just gotta figure out my speed, gear, and RPM's. I'll post another topic, but I was running around 3K rpm on a slight up hill grade, wind at our back and keeping our speed between 65-70. Sometimes it would be in 5th (I have a 6 speed) when there was a little more "up" it would drop into 4th and run around 3,200. This is in the flat lands of west Texas where there are only long slow changes in grade.

Thanks folks!
CampinHappy
West Texas Region
2021 Premier 29RK, 2017 F-150 pulling it fine
Former covered wagons include:

2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far :B) 4 boys who have flown the coop ๐Ÿ™‚

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
The OEM Ford controller has 3 separate settings of force set in the dash settings then fine tuned with gain set at the controller. Beats the heck out of Prodigy or any other aftermarket controller.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford brake controller was jointly developed with Tekonsha.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Mine was good for a couple of years but then got stuck on 10 (max) and wonโ€™t adjust. Truck is out of warranty but dealer had no idea how to fix it. Guess Iโ€™ll install an aftermarket.

Just replace the stock unit. Easy plug and play, about $120 if you shop around. Any aftermarket brake unit will lose the integrated features with your dash display, mileage tracking, brake settings for different trailers, light checks, etc.

OP,
I have a P3 TBC I used in my Explorer. I prefer the F150 factory TBC. Same trailer.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Any factory ITBC is better than the add on brake controllers.

Why? They sense hydraulic pressure and apply the appropriate amount of trailer braking based on the braking force of the truck.
There is no "lag time" between application of truck brakes and the start of trailer brake application.

The truck and trailer brakes operate in unison. There's no herky-jerky action in stop and go traffic or city driving.

Back in the mid 2000s I had a Brake Smart brake controller. It was equivalent to today's ITBCs. It was awesome. Best brake controller I ever used.

Use the truck's brake controller and don't look back! You will love it.

My current truck, in my sig, which I bought new has an ITBC. I love it. I tow a variety of trailers. It works flawless.

You saved me a lot of typing, all I can say is DITTO on the Ford and BrakeSmart controllers and the rest of your post.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:

Why? They sense hydraulic pressure and apply the appropriate amount of trailer braking based on the braking force of the truck.
There is no "lag time" between application of truck brakes and the start of trailer brake application.

The truck and trailer brakes operate in unison. There's no herky-jerky action in stop and go traffic or city driving.

Back in the mid 2000s I had a Brake Smart brake controller. It was equivalent to today's ITBCs. It was awesome. Best brake controller I ever used.

My current truck, in my sig, which I bought new has an ITBC. I love it. I tow a variety of trailers. It works flawless.

I find this interesting, ours in our 2016 Ram 3500 works great also. I remember back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's the Hays brake controllers were actually tapped into the brake hydraulics, and worked well.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine was good for a couple of years but then got stuck on 10 (max) and wonโ€™t adjust. Truck is out of warranty but dealer had no idea how to fix it. Guess Iโ€™ll install an aftermarket.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had 3 Fords with the factory brake controller. All worked great, from a 20'car hauler, 20' travel trailer, 35'fiver. Hard to beat a factory integrated controller.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
The one in my 13 F150 works great. I too had a Prodigy in my old 97 F150 and it was a good controller too, but the integrated one is much better.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO, the Ford IBC is the best of the bunch! I've used many after market controllers, most were good. Mine is in a 250, but I'm sure the 150 IBC is same quality and very functional.

On mine, if you are under, say 10 mph, it is designed for very little brake pedal function to the trailer, but the manual control function is fully available, if you feel the need to use it.

Jerry