cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River Surveyor 210 - Power Issue - Trips Breaker

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Forest River Surveyor 210, MODEL SV-210 Hybrid.

I just got it out of storage and today I attempted to power the RV however, each time I plug it in the GFCI on the outlet I am plugging into trips.

I am using the normal RV Electrical hook up that runs into an adapter that allows for normal 110v plug in usage.

I used these same items ever since I bought it about six years ago and never had any issue.

There are no signs of rodent issues so I am totally perplexed where to even start to look.

I am leaving for a trip on Friday and need to solve this issue quickly if possible. Looking for anyone who may have some troubleshooting suggestions...

The one thing I have done thus far is I turned off all breakers in the camper and when I plug in the GFCI holds. Once I turn on the main breaker it trips.
21 REPLIES 21

rjdlooking
Explorer
Explorer
Bad GFI plug they do wear out.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Do you have one of these? You can check your GFCI receptacle to insure it is wired correctly.
Have you another receptacle to plug into? A laundry room washer circuit is a good one to use for testing without going through a GFCI receptacle.
Receptacle tester

This would be a better Receptacle tester because it has a button to test the GFCI function also. But, it does cost more than twice as much.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you check behind the circuit breakers in the rig for anything like melted neutral against the ground wire, Loose neutral, burnt phase conductor

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, just checked and it is wired correctly.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have one of these? You can check your GFCI receptacle to insure it is wired correctly.
Have you another receptacle to plug into? A laundry room washer circuit is a good one to use for testing without going through a GFCI receptacle.
Receptacle tester

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
So today using my multi-meter for continuity test I checked both the adapter and the shore cord and there was continuity on each wire but nothing cross wire.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
upmm019 wrote:
no recent work.

What will the continuity test prove?
It will show if one or more of the conductors are shorted together of if the ground conductors are open.
Shore power connectors and adaptors are a frequent failure point and it is easy to verify they are operable. It would be my starting point for diagnosing a ground fault.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Westend is just thinking of a bad adapter. Possible but unlikely.
Only continuity test that would be beneficial is between the neutral and ground. If the rig has continuity there it could trip the GFCI receptacle that you are plugging into.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
no recent work.

What will the continuity test prove?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Check the adaptor and shore power cord for continuity on all paths--hot, neutral, and ground.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Was there any work done on the rig?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it trips with only the main breaker on, the fault lies within the breaker box. Inspect EVERY connection to see that nothing is touching anything else. Unplug the RV from the outlet and check for continuity between the white wire buss bar and the ground wire buss bar. With the RV unplugged, there should be no continuity.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Shore power cord is the one coming from the rig that you plug into a receptacle that provides power to the rig.
That doesn't make much sense.
It could have a connection between the neutral and ground inside the rig.
Do you have one of the small yellow or red circuit testers that plugs into an outlet? It is possible that the receptacle you are plugging into is not wired correctly.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
It does not trip if I plug into GFCI and have all of the RV breakers off.

If I turn on the main breaker but all other breakers are off it trips.

what is the shore power cord?