cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River Surveyor 321BHTS with F150

JJonkman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been covered here, but haven't found much searching.

I have a 2014 F150 4x2, 145", Ecoboost. It has the Max Trailer Tow package, 7400# GVWR and 3.73 gears.

We are looking at purchasing a Forest River Surveyor 321BHTS. It has our top options of outside kitchen and extended bunkhouse. It was chosen mostly due to this setup having one of the lowest hitch weights we could find.

So:
Hitch weight = 771
UVW = 7321
CCC = 2250

Am I within my limit?
Max = 11,500
Tongue Max = 1,150

Thoughts, opinions, anyone with the same setup?
12 REPLIES 12

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer needs F150 Max Payload, and even that's questionable depending on exactly what else is coming along.

Also just as important is that trailer also needs a CLASS 5 hitch receiver as actual tongue weight will be in the 1200-1500 pound range.

Finally, be very careful trying to find a low hitch weight to match your truck. Dry hitch weights don't really reflect actual hitch weights, and too little tongue weight will make for a poor towing trailer.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JJonkman wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

What would be the max I could go safely as far as GVWR, hitch weight and length as I continue to look for a new TT?

As a general rule you will want to look for trailers with GVWRs under 7500lbs. The trailer will start out empty at around 5500lbs and you'll end up loaded at 6500-7000lbs with a tongue weight of 800-900lbs.

That'll put you right at the limit of your truck's payload capacity with the immediate family in the truck, as long as you don't go crazy with stuff in the truck. Anything that you can possibly put in the trailer, put it in the trailer.

What most people don't realize the ratings are tow OR haul. If you want to tow AND haul, both maximums are reduced by the proportional amount. The relationship is roughly 7.5lbs towing to 1lb hauling. Every 1lb you add to the truck reduces your tow capacity by 7.5lbs, and every 7.5lbs you add to the trailer reduces your hauling capacity by 1lb.

That 11,500lb tow rating is achievable, but not with any real world travel trailer, and not with any passengers, firewood, bicycles, toys, dogs, etc. in the truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You might squeak that within the truck's ratings (might), but I'd never want to pull that size trailer for any distance with a half ton.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use this calculator, it will help you to determine where you are and what you can tow.

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
JJonkman wrote:

What would be the max I could go safely as far as GVWR, hitch weight and length as I continue to look for a new TT?

That is really going to depend on what/who you have loaded up in your truck and how much cargo capacity you have left. You'll need to weigh it.

Can you take an extra vehicle with you and offload some of the passengers into it? That would give you more cargo capacity in your truck for the tongue weight.

I love my trailer, but it's heavy like the one you're considering, I'm at my limit, and I'm not hauling as many people around. Still I'm going to upgrade to a 1 ton at the first opportunity. You should at least consider an HD truck. Then you can get what you really want.

I wish I had found this site sooner. If you follow their advice, you'll be glad you did. A lot of people here have been in your shoes.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

JJonkman
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The one thing that you didn't mention was the length which is 36' 5". I think your bigger issue will be the length, you will need a good setup and hitch.
based of the numbers below GVWR would be 9,571 lbs. so that is a lot of tail behind that F150.

GVWR TBD lbs.
Hitch Weight 771 lbs.
UVW 7,321 lbs.
CCC 2,250 lbs.
Exterior Length 36' 5"
Exterior Height 11' 5"
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

therink
Explorer
Explorer
You will exceed the payload of the truck. Load yourself, your kids, 50lb WD hitch, pets, bikes, firewood or what ever you out in bed and add up all the weight. Now add a 1200 lb tongue of your loaded trailer. Don't make this mistake. Nice trailer, but need a bigger truck. Don't forget that kids grow and so do their toys. Plan ahead at least two years when making an investment tlike this.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

JJonkman
Explorer
Explorer
GVWR of the TT is 9571

Tag on truck door says:
Front GAWR = 3600
Rear GAWR = 4050
On the tire and loading information sticker, it says:
The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1676 lbs.

Yes, bunkhouse. 4 in the family and we often have the kids friends visit and sleep over.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the UVW = 7321, then you will be 8K or more after loading gear, a little water, etc. IMHO, you don't want to tow more than 6,500 lbs or so with your truck. My Tundra is technically rated for 10K and I would never think of towing more than 7K. And, the payload factor is usually the limiting factor with a 1/2 ton truck.

If you want to play it safe, keep your tow weight to 75-80% of the maximum tow weight. Towing will be a more pleasant expereience and you won't find yourself in the position of owning a new trailer and discovering that you have to replace your tow vehicle, or sell the trailer. It happens all too often due to folks convincing themselves that their tow vehicle can tow the maximum weight (irregardless of payload).
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bunkhouse. How many people are you taking? What's the yellow tag payload on the F150?
Tow capacity on a half ton is almost meaningless, you'll run out of payload first.
And trailer brochure weights are meaningless, you'll find the TT weight is 400# more when you pick it up.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Tongue weight you posted means nothing if that is the factory unloaded weight. A properly balanced travel trailer (for stable towing) will have a tongue weight equal to around 13 percent of the loaded weight of the trailer.
What is the gvwr of the trailer? What ever this number is, multiply that by 0.13 and that is a good idea what the tongue will weigh after you load up and head down the road. If you assess properly you will determine that is likely too much trailer for you truck, max tow or not. Payload of the truck is the killer.
Do yourself a favor and pick a lighter trailer (7000 gvwr or less) or go with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Take it from me, I learned the hard way.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.