cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front Cap Fading

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if the fading of the front cap on my 2011 5th wheel could be fixed by using rubbing compound to bring back the color then coating it with a liquid floor wax. I forget the name of it. OR would it start to flake off?
15 REPLIES 15

dunerunnerjw
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2017 Genesis Supreme TH fifth wheel and use Gel-Coat Wash and Wax about twice a year. So far so good. Getting many "Topcoat" ads lately on my phone and computers.....not sure if that is as easy as advertised but .........

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Like you mine also has been stored inside while not in use. I would wax before every long trip and polish with compound if needed. After 19 years it was starting to show its age so I had a vinyl wrap placed on the front. Hasn't been on long enough to tell how it will hold up, but looks great for now.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2013 has the fading, had it in 2013, factory no help. I am in the process of using the 3M compounds to polish, it looks good now, still needs final polishing and waxing. I expect it will need to be done twice a year to keep it nice... I will eventually get it painted and be done with it.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two of mine have faded. Tried the Zep floor wax on one and while it looked good for a few months, it stated to flake off and looked awful. Had both painted with a base/clear coat automotive paint. Luckily they both went bad early on and after jumping through a few hoops the factories paid for the paint. Should run in the $1500-1800 range plus decals. This is the only long lasting cure.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
after many hours or working on my camper, I got it painted and clear coated. I figured out you won't win against the fade, and you'll start to HATE your camper. I was very lucky and found a man to come out to my place and do it..

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
having said decals, I actually removed all mine and the unit actually looks better to me. I may, at some point have a laser cutter vinyl shop make some custom decals. I may.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
if you stored the RV inside it would never be an issue. Outside (in the weather) storage is not only hard on the paint, it's hard on the seals ans caulk too.

I keep mine inside unless I'm using it. I realize not everyone can do that but a cover when not in use is a good alternative as well.

ADCO makes some nice ones.

Sadily this was stored in a fully enclosed building. It is in the dark all the time except when we take it out to go camping. It was a manufacturing defect that the company weaseled out of repairing when it was new. It is a Heartland Big country.

That is a sad deal but typical of the RV industry it seems like.

I'd sure like to see the entire industry adopt a viable warranty program and not lip service. Like the auto industry finally has.

Most times the fade is a UV related issue as is degrading seals. Not sure if you can refurbish / renew the fade without repainting it and then you'd need the decals too.
2015 Backpack SS1500

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous TT, (Outback) front cap started fading after 1 year of ownership (new). It was just out of the one year warranty when fading and discoloration started. I attempted all kinds of fixes and it seem it only made it worse and worse. I finally consulted with my purchasing dealership and they told me the paint itself used was inferior, not automotive grade and nothing would fix it except to repaint it.

They contacted Keystone and after some back-and-forth negotiations, Keystone agreed to pay for the repaint. However, I had to pay for new graphics. The deal was struck and about 4 weeks later we had the trailer back.

Before repaint:

And here's what it looked like after we got it back. We had this TT for another 4 years and when we traded for our current 5er, that front cap still looks just as good as when it was first painted.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It may depend on what color your cap is. If it's white then the fading may simply be from old age. If it's the dark brown or grey that was used back then, then no waxing, buffing, etc will create a long term result.
Paint is the only cure. BTDT with a 2013 dark brown cap. I did the 3 step process several times and always had the same results. The oxidation returned.
Finally got it painted.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Said it many times before. There is no easy fast one step gratification. The answer above using the 3M compound then a milder cleaner wax, finishing with a protective marine wax will get best results.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to the Red Max Pro process. RMP is no longer available, ZEP #3 is the same product.

Use the process to remove the oxidation. If you don't want to use floor wax, use the wax of your choice.
The prep is the important part of the process.
I use ZEP #3 on our 96 Southwind. It does a nice job.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
if you stored the RV inside it would never be an issue. Outside (in the weather) storage is not only hard on the paint, it's hard on the seals ans caulk too.

I keep mine inside unless I'm using it. I realize not everyone can do that but a cover when not in use is a good alternative as well.

Sadily this was stored in a fully enclosed building. It is in the dark all the time except when we take it out to go camping. It was a manufacturing defect that the company weaseled out of repairing when it was new. It is a Heartland Big country.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Backpack SS1500

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
3M makes several products to remove oxidation from fiberglass, I have used them and they work pretty well and Maguire's sells a three step kit for this purpose . Use a product designed for this purpose otherwise your going to have a bigger problem .
3M marine restorer and wax at Amazon
Meguiars m4965 marine / Rv restoration system Amazon
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's