cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas prices.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi guys, so let me start with the most pertinent statement I can make regarding my post. It is not meant in any political fashion or statement what so ever so if you steer the thread that way then it's on you.
I had 18 trips booked this year and have canceled several of them including seeing my father in Rome New York who is 84. It's just to expensive. I did however fill all of the canceled slots with local small campgrounds that are a plenty here in Central Florida. I found them all here on this campground page.

https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regions/florida

Making the best of it and hoping it doesn't get to much worse or I'll have to cancel more.
Anyway, I'm sure all of you are thinking the same thing and wondering what those thoughts were.
Joe
53 REPLIES 53

JUSTWORK
Explorer
Explorer
Coming in late on this but I have to say make the trip to see your Dad first and then worry about the other trips. I lost my 80 year old Dad this past year due to complications from covid..... One day he was in perfect health, working in the yard and playing golf and then gone 4 weeks later. You can camp anytime, like already said..... leave the camper behind and hit the road. Hope it all works out!

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
Glad to see that everyone will be able to keep on RVing at these gas prices but we live in reality. We've been RVing over 25 years and been thru several of these inflationary type periods but this one just feels different. Since we're now retired and on a fixed income, here's what we've decided. Yesterday we put the RV and tow truck up for sale. Not into the doom and gloom theory but we don't think the current economy is going away anytime soon and 5-6-7 dollar gas will be here for at least the next 3 to 4 years. We also think that with such high energy costs the RV market will suffer. Certainly hope not, but we can't take the chance on missing the window to sell. We've already received several offers on the truck for more than I paid for it 2 years ago so wahoo. The savings on payments, insurance and taxes will/may help us offset inflation. We also had to ask ourselves, what the point of having expensive "toys" you can't afford to use? We truly hope we're wrong on our future predictions but for us, we won't take the chance of things getting worse. So, we'll find other way to keep us entertained. Wishing only the best to everyone here and safe travels.

Agree, things not likely to get cheaper anytime soon, including fuel. Many reasons, but a basic one that will not change is that the cheap oil and gas have been pumped. Still lots left in the earth, it will just cost more to get it. That will keep fuel costs higher than we are used to. So we did the same as above and in Dec 21 sold our motorhome and toad. A small travel trailer is maybe still possible for us but not anytime soon. Happy and safe travels to all, it has been a great ride for us.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
notsobigjoe wrote:
Homeless by Choice wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Joe with all due respect, cancel 17 of your trips and go see your father even if it means driving your car and staying in motels 2 nights each way.

Times TWO

I'm taking my Ram 1500 4.7 and staying with my uncle in VA and sister in PA. I was going to take the truck and camper just to show dad I'm still doing it. He's has the onset of Alzheimer's and is starting to have a lot of trouble. I was going to go this last winter but it's been so long since I've driven in that winter environment. I will see dad though.... Thanks!

Gems, That's a lot of driving but I kind of did the same thing when we moved to Florida 6 years ago. We always came south for a couple of long weekends in the winter but the winters seemed so much milder back then. :R

Thank you all for the comments about my Father. Here is what I posted as to me seeing him.

Believe me I could let an earful go as to what is happening "I'm sure we all could" but seeing how I can't do a thing about it why bother. I agree with Bstar that perhaps it's time to downsize. I'm so glad that we didn't sell our old rig and buy new "Special thanks to Grit dog for that". We are turning cash into commodities as I type and have put a bid on a rental property to dump even more cash. I know this has nothing to do with the topic I posted but it's hard to get around it.

As I stated in my opening post I am looking at local campgrounds to travel too and I went to look at this one today. It's beautiful and everything I could possibly want 35 miles away.

https://guyharveycampmack.com/

Anyway as stated above as soon as winter is over up north I'll see dad. LOL, You guys are great!!!
Joe

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
A friend has pointed out that since the lion's share of recent gas price hikes are due to the Ukrainian situation, perhaps one should consider those costs our share of the pain those people are bearing in defense of their freedom. And we should be grateful WE are not huddled on the bare concrete floor of a basement dodging bullets with a terrified toddler (or cat!) in our lap.

I agree, go see your father.

And since my tow motor is a diesel, I'm not looking forward to $5+ fuel.

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see that everyone will be able to keep on RVing at these gas prices but we live in reality. We've been RVing over 25 years and been thru several of these inflationary type periods but this one just feels different. Since we're now retired and on a fixed income, here's what we've decided. Yesterday we put the RV and tow truck up for sale. Not into the doom and gloom theory but we don't think the current economy is going away anytime soon and 5-6-7 dollar gas will be here for at least the next 3 to 4 years. We also think that with such high energy costs the RV market will suffer. Certainly hope not, but we can't take the chance on missing the window to sell. We've already received several offers on the truck for more than I paid for it 2 years ago so wahoo. The savings on payments, insurance and taxes will/may help us offset inflation. We also had to ask ourselves, what the point of having expensive "toys" you can't afford to use? We truly hope we're wrong on our future predictions but for us, we won't take the chance of things getting worse. So, we'll find other way to keep us entertained. Wishing only the best to everyone here and safe travels.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Retired so we will just make our 4 month trip into a 5 month trip to spread the higher cost over an extra month. We have also reduced our eating out which we needed to do to eat better which will offset the higher food cost coming down the road too.

There is no way I would cancel a trip to see my father who is age 86 just because of fuel price but then continue do other camping trips. If I had to cancel 4 trips to make the one to see my father than that is what I would do.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We'll probably see campgrounds closer to populated areas more crowded and distant ones less crowded. On the other hand, if fuel prices stabilize before the camping season gets under way people will travel farther from home.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
garmp wrote:
Does any one think the gas prices will create more campsite cancellations/openings? People backing out of and or changing to destinations closer to home.

Result will probably look more like a swap. People who cancel reservations/change their mind for travel farther away, will fill the spots closer to home that are opened up....by people canceling from farther away.

A little simplistic, but every action creates opportunity. A balance of some sorts results.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does any one think the gas prices will create more campsite cancellations/openings? People backing out of and or changing to destinations closer to home.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Paul_V1
Explorer
Explorer
I just paid $6.19 for Diesel here in Walnut Creek Ca. Most stations in this area for Diesel is between $6.19 - $7.29 per gallon.
2001 GMC Crewcab Duramax 2500HD 4x4
2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5
1997 Jeep Wrangler

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
nhshep wrote:
More people like to camp than the drive to camp.Talking to a campground owner in Maine. He claims they are seeing far more interest in seasonal sites than ever before. He says people will take a drive to a place they like and either stay seasonal, or stay for a longer duration. I don't see RV prices dropping in the near future due to gas price increase. People love to camp, kids tend to be safe, campground amenities, swimming pools, game halls, proximity to local attractions. Campgrounds are ideal for kids and adults. Ah, the campfire. I do think analysts are underestimating gas prices. A gas station owner told me instead of 6 fuel deliveries a month the gas company is doing 3 which will lead to gas shortage at the pump. He said an 18 wheeler driving from the dock in Boston is not going to make as many trips to remote areas like before. They will cut their losses in transportation of fuel. We see $4.25 from $3.25. An analyst said expect $5 by April 1. I say expect between $6 and $7 by July 4. Like Covid-19 we are in unchartered waters. Think back before Covid-19, who would have guessed how the world and social life would have changed. Think $6+ a gallon. As a result we will see some small owned gas stations closing and some major gas stations close shop in different parts of the country.

Everyone and everything will adapt as it always does, these things go in cycles. I really am not surprised by all this nonsense and that's what I think it is. But it's not going away. It will close the mom and pop places but new places will open up. The long road traveler will have to adapt and I believe all ready is by just the few posts on the thread. I do not see the used RV's decreasing in price but I do see the boats decreasing. I guess my point of the post is that since I don't want to sit at home I found some really great local places to camp and boat. The everglades are not far at all and are very appealing. We also have a camp Mack right here in Kissimmee Florida about 35 miles from my house. They have a boat ramp and beautiful sites. Also a store and things to do. There are many of these locally and I never knew it. Times are hard right now but we'll get through it we always do.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
My wife and I bought a new truck & new TC a couple years ago to do our bucket list trip to Alaska. We had to cancel the last couple years because, of border closures, covid, etc. We're not getting any younger, and will do the trip this year. I did the math the other night, and at $7/gallon, will cost $11,200 in diesel up and back. I hate to spend it, but worse, I'd hate to cancel again and have something happen so we never make the trip.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Mr__Pinky
Explorer
Explorer
Had a trip planned this summer of about 6,000 miles but will probably have to cancel. Diesel is already about $5.50 gal in CA and going up 10 or 15 cents per gallon every day. By June, when we had planned to leave, I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to $7 per gal.

My SS check won't stretch that far. Sad
"STUFF" HAPPENS, GET OVER IT

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
notsobigjoe wrote:
Homeless by Choice wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Joe with all due respect, cancel 17 of your trips and go see your father even if it means driving your car and staying in motels 2 nights each way.

Times TWO

I'm taking my Ram 1500 4.7 and staying with my uncle in VA and sister in PA. I was going to take the truck and camper just to show dad I'm still doing it. He's has the onset of Alzheimer's and is starting to have a lot of trouble. I was going to go this last winter but it's been so long since I've driven in that winter environment. I will see dad though.... Thanks!

Gems, That's a lot of driving but I kind of did the same thing when we moved to Florida 6 years ago. We always came south for a couple of long weekends in the winter but the winters seemed so much milder back then. :R

I agree about seeing your Dad.
If the car rental gets back to normal you might want to run the numbers. A car that will go twice as far on a gallon of gas might be pretty cheap as the price of gas goes up.

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
More people like to camp than the drive to camp.Talking to a campground owner in Maine. He claims they are seeing far more interest in seasonal sites than ever before. He says people will take a drive to a place they like and either stay seasonal, or stay for a longer duration. I don't see RV prices dropping in the near future due to gas price increase. People love to camp, kids tend to be safe, campground amenities, swimming pools, game halls, proximity to local attractions. Campgrounds are ideal for kids and adults. Ah, the campfire. I do think analysts are underestimating gas prices. A gas station owner told me instead of 6 fuel deliveries a month the gas company is doing 3 which will lead to gas shortage at the pump. He said an 18 wheeler driving from the dock in Boston is not going to make as many trips to remote areas like before. They will cut their losses in transportation of fuel. We see $4.25 from $3.25. An analyst said expect $5 by April 1. I say expect between $6 and $7 by July 4. Like Covid-19 we are in unchartered waters. Think back before Covid-19, who would have guessed how the world and social life would have changed. Think $6+ a gallon. As a result we will see some small owned gas stations closing and some major gas stations close shop in different parts of the country.
2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS