cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GCWR

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
My GVWR is 11,000 pounds but nowhere on the door is the GCWR.
I am under the GVWR but need to know how much weight I can tow.
Thanks

I added this to find out how to EDIT my INFO.

EDIT---------------GVWR and not MWVR---------Bumbling fingers
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)
13 REPLIES 13

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the help. I found the GCWR on the drivers seat base next to the fuse box. GVWR is 11,030# and a GCWR of 15,250#
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
it was in your sig...I missed it. sorry.

I did an online search and could not find any specs for your particular make/model. according to this the GVWR is 11,030-lbs and the hitch is rated for 7500-lbs and a GCWR of 15,250-lbs. this tells me that even though your hitch is rated for 7500-lbs your max towing weight is 4000-lbs. but...those specs don't indicate if those are for new chassis' today, for 2008 models or if all years are the same.

we can reach a few conclusions...

- assuming these specs apply to your vehicle you can certainly tow 3000-lbs. but that assumes that your MH is not overweight on either or both axles. the only other way you'd be in trouble is if your hitch is rated for less than 3000-lbs and that's very unlikely for a 10-yr old MH.

- given what you want to tow I woulThis is my current loadingdn't stress on the GCWR...as nice as it would be to know that number. I'd be more interested in the gross-axle weight rating for each axle (GAWR) to determine if either axle is overweight. and I think the only way to learn that is to call Sprinter @ 877-762-8267 and/or Coachmen @ 574-825-8602. if they can answer the GAWR question they can certainly tell you the GCWR and the hitch rating.

good luck.

I should be OK and safe------thanks for the info and opinion.
This is my current loading less dolly tongue weight hauling Fiat.
Loaded on trip 3600F---7120R.
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
it was in your sig...I missed it. sorry.

I did an online search and could not find any specs for your particular make/model. according to this the GVWR is 11,030-lbs and the hitch is rated for 7500-lbs and a GCWR of 15,250-lbs. this tells me that even though your hitch is rated for 7500-lbs your max towing weight is 4000-lbs. but...those specs don't indicate if those are for new chassis' today, for 2008 models or if all years are the same.

we can reach a few conclusions...

- assuming these specs apply to your vehicle you can certainly tow 3000-lbs. but that assumes that your MH is not overweight on either or both axles. the only other way you'd be in trouble is if your hitch is rated for less than 3000-lbs and that's very unlikely for a 10-yr old MH.

- given what you want to tow I wouldn't stress on the GCWR...as nice as it would be to know that number. I'd be more interested in the gross-axle weight rating for each axle (GAWR) to determine if either axle is overweight. and I think the only way to learn that is to call Sprinter @ 877-762-8267 and/or Coachmen @ 574-825-8602. if they can answer the GAWR question they can certainly tell you the GCWR and the hitch rating.

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
According to the brochure I see on the interwebs, your GVWR= 11,030 and the GCWR= 14,530.

Doesn't quite match up to the GVWR on your door sticker though, so maybe not lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Horizon170 wrote:
rk911, I'm OK on the RV but wont to pull Fiat on Dolly.
I can't find anything on the door other than GVWR and tire pressure. I guess it may be in the RV info. package.
Thanks all, Marvin

pullng flat and pulling on a dolly are two different things, marvin. please...make, model, year and chassis of the MH. and what is your hitch rated for?

Sorry7, I thought it was in my signature.
2008, 3500, dual rear tires, Freightliner on Sprinter cab and chassis. 2010 Coachmen Freelander RV on that chassis.
I guess the hitch is at least 5K, although it looks the same as my 10K on my pickup. My toe dolly is around 600-650#.
I searched all the info on RV and Chassis and can't find the GCWR.
Marvin

EDIT----when I got home It weighed 9,640# (3500F-6140R)empty before we stocked it
Loaded and tow on trip 3600F---7120R and TOAD(Geo Tracker) = 2360# for a total GCWR of 13080#.
Now rather than the 2360 Geo I will Have 550 dolly and 2400# fiat for a total of 2900#---almost 600# heavier.
Ifeelthat I'm still within the safe range but still can't find the COMBINED rating.
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Horizon170 wrote:
I can't find anything on the door other than GVWR and tire pressure. I guess it may be in the RV info. package.
Thanks all, Marvin

GCWR is not likely to be on the door post on any vehicle. If you have a chassis manual you should find the info there. The RV manual is probably very generic with no real info. If you post your chassis info with engine and rear axle ratio we could probably help you.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
Thanks all, Marvin

pullng flat and pulling on a dolly are two different things, marvin. please...make, model, year and chassis of the MH. and what is your hitch rated for?
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
rk911, I'm OK on the RV but want to pull Fiat on Dolly.
Thanks all, Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have never found GCWR on the door post. The only place I have seen it is in the Owners Manual.
Years ago, we traveled in a 32 foot fifth wheel towed by a 1994 Dodge CTD standard cab lwb dually. The book said the GCWR was 18,000 lbs. I finally got around to weighing it, and discovered the whole rig weighed over 21,000 lbs!
That's right, I had been driving around the West at a ton and a half over the GCWR! Yet, the rig was under GVWR and under all GAWRs. It was also under the 14,000 GVW shown on the registration.
I did some checking and discovered that every year after 1994 the GCWR of Dodge trucks had been increased, but very little changed on the trucks! It appears that GCWR is a "Mine is better than yours!" marketing gimmick.
I haven't worried about it since.
But, that's just me.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
yr, make, model and chassis?

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar

a hint at the GCWR would be the weight rating of the hitch. and ref the GVWR next time youโ€™re at a scale get separate axle weights and compare to the GAWR (gross axle weight rating for each axle). it IS possible to be overweight on one axle and still weigh less than the GVWR. i know from personal experience. also, when weighing be sure you are fully loaded...food, fuel, clothing, supplies, pets, water, LP, people, etc.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
What does FL say? They should have a GVWR number posted some where.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
MGVR? Never seen that one???
Try running it across a set of scales.

I fixed it Don.
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

donn0128