Explorer
Explorer
Good YouTube video Video clicky
18 REPLIES 18

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:

There are a lot of people out there that fall for the hype about LT tires on their trailer instead of the proper ST tires. So sad that they have been misinformed.

There's no hype involved. Before there were proper ST tires available, LT was the only practical option. Now that there's the Goodyear Endurance, I see no need to continue to use LT tires. If I'm wrong about these Endurance tires (time will tell), I'll go back to LTs. The STs are rated for less speed and more weight, which seems to be a better fit. And the sidewalls are stiffer than LTs, noticeably so.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
This argument is much like "which diesel truck is the best". Everyone has their own opinion based on their own experience, and that is the best way to make the proper decision on what tires you select.

However, the discussion has to consider the fact that many, many of the trailers sold today come with 15" wheels. Have you checked to see how many American tire manufacturers make an LT tire in this size?

From the many posts I've seen on the Goodyear Endurance it seems like it might be the best solution if you are stuck with 15" choices.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Blah, blah, blah... Just some unknown sales dude. I'd rather get my info. from an industry professional like say Roger Marble's rvtiresafety.net blog - tons of great info. from a retired tire engineer...

Yep, Roger is the man. He spent his entire career as a tire engineer and freely shares his knowledge without trying to sell anything.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
12th Man Fan wrote:
I am sure there are some good ST tires out there but I prefer the LT. My last two trailers came with LT tires.

All the extra rubber and steel in the St tires just cause more damage when they blow out.
If an LT tires weigh more than an ST tire, I don't think there is actually more rubber and steel in the ST tire. It's just put together poorly.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure there are some good ST tires out there but I prefer the LT. My last two trailers came with LT tires.

All the extra rubber and steel in the St tires just cause more damage when they blow out.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Count me among the uninformed after having 2 ST tires destroy themselves after less than 2 years and 8,000 miles. Went to LT tires and have never looked back.

No hype, just tires that work.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
twodownzero wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Why is it that ST tires are so temperamental? You gotta treat them a certain way, care for them a certain way, blah, blah blah. They are what they are - cheaply made junk tires that aren't worth buying. There's a reason the ST tires are stamped with "Not for passenger car use", or words to that effect, because they are not safe. I'll stick with my Michelin XPS Rib commercial truck tires on my 5th wheels. Been using Michelin LT's for the past 9 years and have yet to have a tire issue. And I don't have to baby them, they're made for trucks, after all.

Nonsense. ST tires are not rated to provide TRACTION for steering or driving, that's why they say not to put them on passenger cars. Good ST tires work just fine. Mine even work better; they're rated for more weight than a similar LT tire.

That's not to say that LT tires aren't good, commercial rib tires are a great choice for trailers. I, too, used them for years until I found GOOD, American made ST tires. In theory, ST tires are better in some ways, as they are made for trailer service. The sidewalls on the ST tires I'm running were noticably stiffer than the LT tires they replaced when I was mounting them (by hand).

I found a great deal on the Goodyear Endurance tires and so I'm running them. At full price, the XPS Rib was similar in cost and I considered that. I ended up paying slightly over $500 for four Goodyear Endurance tires with the rebate and they are rated for more than I needed, so I ran with them. If not for the rebates, I would have probably bought the XPS ribs.

LT tires in 16" are rated for more speed and good ST tires for more weight. I thought it more likely I could use the latter and the tires I use are rated for 87 MPH, which is faster than my pocketbook allows me to pull 10k+ lbs. Truck tires are rated for 112+ MPH, which might be great on an empty pickup truck but is useless for a 5th wheel.

YMMV.

There are a lot of people out there that fall for the hype about LT tires on their trailer instead of the proper ST tires. So sad that they have been misinformed.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Why is it that ST tires are so temperamental? You gotta treat them a certain way, care for them a certain way, blah, blah blah. They are what they are - cheaply made junk tires that aren't worth buying. There's a reason the ST tires are stamped with "Not for passenger car use", or words to that effect, because they are not safe. I'll stick with my Michelin XPS Rib commercial truck tires on my 5th wheels. Been using Michelin LT's for the past 9 years and have yet to have a tire issue. And I don't have to baby them, they're made for trucks, after all.

Nonsense. ST tires are not rated to provide TRACTION for steering or driving, that's why they say not to put them on passenger cars. Good ST tires work just fine. Mine even work better; they're rated for more weight than a similar LT tire.

That's not to say that LT tires aren't good, commercial rib tires are a great choice for trailers. I, too, used them for years until I found GOOD, American made ST tires. In theory, ST tires are better in some ways, as they are made for trailer service. The sidewalls on the ST tires I'm running were noticably stiffer than the LT tires they replaced when I was mounting them (by hand).

I found a great deal on the Goodyear Endurance tires and so I'm running them. At full price, the XPS Rib was similar in cost and I considered that. I ended up paying slightly over $500 for four Goodyear Endurance tires with the rebate and they are rated for more than I needed, so I ran with them. If not for the rebates, I would have probably bought the XPS ribs.

LT tires in 16" are rated for more speed and good ST tires for more weight. I thought it more likely I could use the latter and the tires I use are rated for 87 MPH, which is faster than my pocketbook allows me to pull 10k+ lbs. Truck tires are rated for 112+ MPH, which might be great on an empty pickup truck but is useless for a 5th wheel.

YMMV.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't make it through 8 minutes of that nonsense. Use the tires recommended for your application. If you buy ST tires, make sure they are 1) made in America, 2) rated for the speed you're driving 3) rated for the load you're carrying and 4) properly inflated. My choice, after much deliberation, is the Goodyear Endurance.

The only other tires I'd consider are an all steel, American made 16" tire like the Michelin XPS Rib (truck) or the Goodyear G614 (trailer service). There may be some others. Both of them cost more than the Goodyear Endurance, so we'll see how my current tires last and I'll decide if I think it's worthwhile to change for the next set.

Chinese tires are garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blah, blah, blah... Just some unknown sales dude. I'd rather get my info. from an industry professional like say Roger Marble's rvtiresafety.net blog - tons of great info. from a retired tire engineer.

When it comes to ST tires, it's heat that leads to premature failure due to towing underinflated, overloaded and/or above the tire's speed rating. It's impossible to know how an owner treated their ST tires so it's impossible to know why a tire failed. As Roger Marble says, most failures are likely to have been caused by improper treatment. Having sufficient reserve load capacity is another important factor. Most ST tire owners don't know how to treat their tires properly. They're not like LT or passenger tires that they are used to. Sales dude didn't talk about load capacity of the various load ratings and sizes of ST tires or reserve load capacity rating.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
What was the Load Range of the three tires he was looking at?
The LT Load Range E tires on my truck have a much higher weight capacity than the LT tire he used for comparison.
I would have been much more impressed had he cut the tires in two and showed the differences in construction, and showed LT tires with Load Range C, D, E, and F.
Years ago, my son bought a real nice 32 foot fifth wheel. On the first trip, he had a tire failure. He replaced the ST tires with LT LR E tires, and never had another blowout! Successful experience defeats book learnin' every time, IMO.

My 7X14 box trailer doesn't get used much, but if it ever needs tires it WILL get LT LR E tires!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Watched the entire video and everything he says is theoretically correct. The problem is the ST tire market has been filled with cheap China Bomb Junk, thus the mass exodus to quality LT tires. In fact high end 5ers come with LT tires in place of China junk ST tires
+1
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mt1729 wrote:
I didn't listen to all of his video. As soon as I realized he didn't know a lot about tires I gave it up. He was right about passenger car tires but that's about all.
2014 youtube old news and has been on the our trailering forums and other websites and was typical Carlisle advertising from that era. 2019 has a much better educated trailering public.
And a whole lot better ST class tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides