cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

good way to carry gas for portable gen ?

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
If I carry a small Honda gen do I carry a gas can or someone was saying cut the Onan gen fuel line and put in a T and a hose ??
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
24 REPLIES 24

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Many small engines now use metric size fuel

Hmmmmmmm? On the molecular level?;)
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do about what the OP is asking about - we have a small Class C motorhome with a well performing built in Onan generator. However, at all times we also carry along a Honda portable generator and extra gas for it.

The small Honda is for battery charging so as to not have to run the Onan for hours or idle the engine and use it's alternator for hours.

I carry spare gas for the Honda in an exterior storage cabinet in a steel safety can, very similar to this one (it's not inexpensive, but safety is priceless): https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-U2-26-SX5-Safety-Flammables-Capacity/dp/B002M3DY9W/ref=pd_sim_86_1?_enc...
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
I made a wooden box that fits the gas can with a piece of rubber on the bottom. I have that in the pick up bed. I have seen some people with a welded bracket on the tongue where they keep a 5 gallon can.

This is a motorhome
I didn't know. He just had a Winnebago. They also make trailers.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
luberhill wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I'm not so sure that you even need a generator if you rig has an on board genny. Do you plann on doing extensive boon docking? Or are you just thinking in case of the on board generator failing? Are you worried that the on board genny will use too much fuel?

Just to answer your question, well to tell you what I do really, I have a 2 gallon saftey can that I carry in the basement compartment with the genny with a full tank of fues.

Is it safe? As safe as any suggestion you have received so far.

Just thinking the Hondas are a LOT quieter than my 4000 Onan...and yea just in case I guess

On your first trip I'd go without it. You will figure out your style in time. There is no need to carry gas can and gensets on your first trip...just in case!
If you need electric use the Onan.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Since you are looking at a first trip, dry camping with a "new to you" motorhome. Why bother with it for this short trip?
From all the questions and concerns you have voiced recently, may I suggest you simplify some.
Take the trip, keep carry along gear to a minimum and use the built in systems fully. ie full water/propane tanks, empty waste tanks, and use the unit as the builder designed it for. Then after getting a basic idea of how long batteries, water, propane, etc last, and what doesn't last as long as you had hoped, then start finding ways to enhance it.
From your post, I can almost envision you working yourself to death trying to do everything possible on this first trip, and not taking the time to relax and enjoy it.

Yea you nailed it..this thing is driving me nuts because as always I want everything PERFECT...OCD I guess...seems like lots of little things, the sealant around the roof edge (redone by me), small cracks in the upper shower surround by the screws,two hydraulic lines on the levelers I replaced, now the others...do I replace now or wait till IF or WHEN they may leak ??, its only a 5 yr old unit with 16k miles it seems like NOTHING should be wrong...

Good luck.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I'm not so sure that you even need a generator if you rig has an on board genny. Do you plann on doing extensive boon docking? Or are you just thinking in case of the on board generator failing? Are you worried that the on board genny will use too much fuel?

Just to answer your question, well to tell you what I do really, I have a 2 gallon saftey can that I carry in the basement compartment with the genny with a full tank of fues.

Is it safe? As safe as any suggestion you have received so far.

Just thinking the Hondas are a LOT quieter than my 4000 Onan...and yea just in case I guess

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
As to the original question, I occasionally carry a small gas can for fuel for a gasoline powered blender. My wet compartment has a metal floor that extends up about 2 inches. It could probably hold 5 gallons of liquid. It also has the big screw in plug in the floor for the drain hose. That is where I put the gas can when I bring it with me. If it were to spill, it would be contained and I could drain it out the hole if need be as there is nothing under that. It is directly opposite from the Onan.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Mich F wrote:

Go back into your profile, then go to preferences, then add your RV details in your signature. I'd suggest adding that it's a Class A. There are so many makes and models out there, it can be very confusing.

Ok just changed it,,still don't see it showing up nor do I see yours ??

It's showing up for me. The site only puts the signature on the first post by a person on the page; if there are any more, they don't get the signature appended.

There is an option in your preferences to enable or disable the display of signatures at all (My Forums at the top of the screen-->My Preferences).

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
luberhill wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
Be safe. Have an auxillary fuel tank with a gas hose attached and fit into the bed of your truck.

No truck this is a motorhome, I added the info to my profile but not sure if its showing up ??

Go back into your profile, then go to preferences, then add your RV details in your signature. I'd suggest adding that it's a Class A. There are so many makes and models out there, it can be very confusing.

Ok just changed it,,still don't see it showing up nor do I see yours ??

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OP needs to chill. I agree with Wandering. Camping should be fun, not stressful. The generator's own gas tank will probably be enough...just like 60 gallons of fresh water.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are looking at a first trip, dry camping with a "new to you" motorhome. Why bother with it for this short trip?
From all the questions and concerns you have voiced recently, may I suggest you simplify some.
Take the trip, keep carry along gear to a minimum and use the built in systems fully. ie full water/propane tanks, empty waste tanks, and use the unit as the builder designed it for. Then after getting a basic idea of how long batteries, water, propane, etc last, and what doesn't last as long as you had hoped, then start finding ways to enhance it.
From your post, I can almost envision you working yourself to death trying to do everything possible on this first trip, and not taking the time to relax and enjoy it.

Good luck.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
Be safe. Have an auxillary fuel tank with a gas hose attached and fit into the bed of your truck.

No truck this is a motorhome, I added the info to my profile but not sure if its showing up ??

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most of the Honda's have a fuel pump...(many other brands are gravity fed).

There are simply systems you can get cheaply online that connect to the Honda fuel cap with a hose running to the extra tank. Because it has a fuel pump, it will suck fuel from the auxiliary tank (doesn't work with gravity fed).

Simple and neat.

Not sure where you can store a fuel jug in your MH but make sure it's away from the living areas and anywhere with electrical that isn't spark protected.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV