cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Had our first "On Road" problem with the RV

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't really on road as we were in the campground.
We vacationed last week through Connecticut and Pennsylvania, putting about 800 miles on our Winnebago class C towing a Ford Explorer. The heat and humidity were almost unbearable and our A/C unit ran for basically 9 days straight (without a hiccup). Well, we loaded up yesterday to drive the 125 miles home and the RV cranks but does not start. I have my wife work the key while I listened at the rear of the coach and no fuel pump noise....UGH. Sunday am in rural PA. I laid under the RV on the sharp gravel and banged on the tank as that sometimes will get the pump running and, nothing. after wedging myself under the RV near the rear of the fuel tank I could get my head up and see the top of the tank and the fuel pump hat. So, I banged on that...still nothing. Problem was I couldn't reach the pump from that location. After trying to figure out what to do, dropping the fuel tank 1/2 full (58 gallon tank) at the Campground did not seem to be a good option. I was able to cram this fat old guy in front of the axle and get to reach the fuel pump hat. As my 13yo son handed me tools I was able to unbolt the assembly from the tank and lift it partially out to expose the fuel pump. A couple wacks on the pump with my ratchet, had the wife try the key and low and behold it took off. Bolted everything back together and drove home without issue. WHEW. Thank heavens there is about 8" between the top of the tanks and the coach floor. Got home drained and pulled the tank, new pump on order this am and we'll be good to go. Crisis adverted.
Good Luck out there !
12 REPLIES 12

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to suggest remodeling your fuel system and place an after market fuel pump outside the tank.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
May just be a coincidence, but electric fuel pumps seem to have become high failure items in my world. I have a farm with lots of equipment and am the designated mechanic for our test facility at work. I have had 4 fail on me in the last year, and another requires a love tap after it's been sitting a week or more.

I don't know if it is a fuel issue or the pumps are garbage, but it has left me frustrated.

We're replacing the pump in my nephew's Mercury Montego as I type this. It failed in a similar manner, without warning at a stoplight.

I honestly don't recall ever having to replace a mechanical fuel pump on the old stuff I used to own (and still own). I've done plenty of electric ones though.

If you can get at them easy, a love tap will get you going. The starter on my Nighthawk (motorcycle) has been doing it for years. A good whack on the side and it's good for a good chunk of the riding season.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
May just be a coincidence, but electric fuel pumps seem to have become high failure items in my world. I have a farm with lots of equipment and am the designated mechanic for our test facility at work. I have had 4 fail on me in the last year, and another requires a love tap after it's been sitting a week or more.

I don't know if it is a fuel issue or the pumps are garbage, but it has left me frustrated.

Two of the failures happened in single digit temperatures, and one was on a tractor that had been running in sleet for 20 minutes and it quit just a few feet before it would have been indoors. Got covered with ice in the time it took me to duck tape a Mountain Dew bottle full of diesel to the frame to feed the main pump so I could run it inside.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
First: Good Job and I am glad that you did make it home.

Second: There is a very good chance that this will happen again. It is probably the result of an issue with the fuel pump that may well re-occur. Now that you know how to get at it, you might think about changing out the pump at some very convenient and nice place and time.

Matt

Yes, within an hour of being home the fuel tank is drained, on the ground, and a new Motorcraft pump assembly ordered from Rock Auto.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:
Giant pain to have to do that especially in the campground. You didn't say but did you at least check the fuel pump relay first?

Yeah, my post was already getting long-winded as I tend to do. But, yes I checked power and ground right at the pump connection on the frame first. I always carry a test light, a well stocked Craftsman tool kit, and of course the required WD-40, Zip ties, and Duct Tape! lol

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
First: Good Job and I am glad that you did make it home.

Second: There is a very good chance that this will happen again. It is probably the result of an issue with the fuel pump that may well re-occur. Now that you know how to get at it, you might think about changing out the pump at some very convenient and nice place and time.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could be worse... .Different problem.

I pulled into a gas station but did not pull ahead far enough. When I went to start to pull ahead a few more feed.. CLICK. that is all a single CLICK. Not a Clunk, NOt a Rat ta ta ta ta t Just a CLICK.

Thankfully I know my vehicle and the sound itself was diagnostic. Starter Pilot Relay.. I also know the general location (There are 3 relays there and a lay out diagram that showed me which one)

Pulled relay.. Cleaned contacts.. Re-assembled. VAROOM.

NOTE.. It was below freezing and raining too boot.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Good job. Glad it worked out. And for the naysayers, see, kids CAN be useful as well as ornamental.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever I fix something on the road, I treat myself to a meal or a toy with the money I didn't have to pay a tech. I'd say that's a pretty nice meal you have coming. A 4 hour job in the shop at least.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Giant pain to have to do that especially in the campground. You didn't say but did you at least check the fuel pump relay first?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice going!
Imagine what you saved yourself.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job getting that going yourself, I'm impressed by the resourcefulness!
While I have the technical aptitude to do that kind of diagnostics I doubt I have enough practical experience to do it in such a stressful situation, would have probably called a tow and a rental company.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH