cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hartland TIres

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Well just looking for info on Hartland Tires from Discount Tire.
G Rated. Anyone else have them, experience with them.
I haven't found anything negative with them.
21 REPLIES 21

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
well just thought I would give an update, if anyone cares, yep too much time available to do stuff. We have made another trip, about 1000 miles and I am happy with the tires. they run cool, actually may help a little with gas mileage as they are smooth and have very little friction. so since I originally "May have put the cart before the horse". It has all worked out. Also the cost right at $1000 was acceptable. so again, thanks for listening and providing your feedback. have a great day.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:

yes already a purchase, of course while on the road, Discount will take care of me if decided to change out. they are communicating with me, from the corporate office. no worries there.

Or, since you're actively recreating, and already bought the tires forget about this thread, forget about the Discount tire corporate office.
You have new tires that have enough air in them as long as they're at least at 80psi. You have nothing to worry about!

CHeers!

Yes this seemed to be a "what about this product I am thinking to buy" instead it's a "I bought this now I want to know what everyone thinks". A bit backwards IMHO oh well it happens.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jffnkrn wrote:

yes already a purchase, of course while on the road, Discount will take care of me if decided to change out. they are communicating with me, from the corporate office. no worries there.

Or, since you're actively recreating, and already bought the tires forget about this thread, forget about the Discount tire corporate office.
You have new tires that have enough air in them as long as they're at least at 80psi. You have nothing to worry about!

CHeers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the post. I assumed you were wanting info "prior" to making a purchase.

Get your real weights and use the chart and add 5psi. Or as CapriRacer has mentioned take your load and add 15% then use the chart number without adding anything.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ST 235/80 R16 E has a rating of 3,420# @ 80psi.

What is the actual weight on your RV tires? You simply will not find a better RV tire and it's US Made.

4400 lbs @ 110 psi

NOT what I asked. Try this, what amount of weight is setting on each tire? Didn't ask for carrying capacity.

Sounds like you have already bought the tires???

yes already a purchase, of course while on the road, Discount will take care of me if decided to change out. they are communicating with me, from the corporate office. no worries there. just concerned of not knowing any history on the Hartland Tire. as far as weight rating, I am in good shape with these according to info. Trailer gross is at 16K, we are about 15400 as a normal full of water etc. so that is less than 4000 per tire, and it had the westlake at 3520. so just more info for more info and thoughts!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Four years and at least 20k on my Boat Trailer with ENDURANCE 65psi tires towing at 70-75 most every day during the Summer months. They run nice and cool and the tread is perfectly even all across the tread all this running 50psi. God save me!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My experience has been just the opposite. When I had five service trailers/28 tires on the road for a living using the same axles/tires/wheels on a rv trailer we learned the expensive way the folly of derating especially a G tire to 80 psi or a E tire to 65 psi.

Were not talking small TTs or just experience with a couple of rv trailers or a utility trailers with load C/D/E tires on 3.5k/5k/6k axles but load G 14 ply rated tires that can weight 60-70 lbs per tire. These tires are heavy/very stiff sidewalls.

A 15400 lb trailer can have a 3200-3300 lb hitch weight which leaves around 12000 on the trailers axles = 3000 per tire. Now add a good 15 percent reserve capacity = 3450 lbs per tire. These numbers are a approx vs actual scaled axle loads so numbers will vary.
Now add 10-15 psi for a good reserve pressure to combat inter ply shearing forces.
Its been my experience you will get better long term service (miles and years) with 90-95 psi or even max sidewall pressures than at 80 psi.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jffnkrn wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

What is the actual weight on your RV tires? You simply will not find a better RV tire and it's US Made.

4400 lbs @ 110 psi

NOT what I asked. Try this, what amount of weight is setting on each tire? Didn't ask for carrying capacity.

Sounds like you have already bought the tires???

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jffnkrn wrote:
my next call will be to the manufacturer, if lucky enough to get info from them.
Have a great day.

Presumably, you've already been pulling this trailer just fine and just got new tires?
Mfg isn't going to give you any more useful info than is already available. Load/inflation charts and weight.
Seems like you're overthinking this a bit?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jffnkrn wrote:

oops, forgot to mention, Thanks Grit Dog. I don't think the tires will be hurt at 80 or so PSI either, my overall normal travel weight in the trailer is about 15,400 full of water, propane, food etc.
I am comfortable knowing there is enough capacity in the tires for the trailer on it's own.

You're welcome! And just trying to be helpful.
Based on your weight (you said TT, but I'm presuming 5ver), either way, subtract the approx tongue/pin weight, which will put you around 14klbs or less actually on the tires. At that weight 80psi (cold) is aboot right, but also at that weight, I would run them a little on the high side. Just general methodology for care of trailer tires (that live a different life than vehicle tires).
Regarding Discount's "opinion", all I can do is LOL. And I'll leave it at that.
Regarding being able to air them up yourself on the road and able to reach that 80-90psi effectively, "most" 12V plug in compressors will at a minimum struggle with that from a duty cycle standpoint. Some of the upper end ones will do the job, but still slowly.
IMO, unless you're prepared to plug leaks etc and then need to air back up, it's not worth getting a compressor that will do the job well.
On the road somewhere, I'd just roll to a tire shop if I needed some air. It's one of those, be prepared to fix on the road, or that's why you carry a spare, type of thing.
If you really want the ability to air up high pressure tires even somewhat efficiently, need to look at getting a small 120V compressor or prepare to spend 2x as much for a 12V one and have a good connection for the DC power.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

4400 lbs @ 110 psi

That's the weight rating "of the tires", not the weight per wheel/axle.

And contrary to what was said, unless you're pushing the "minimum" pressure for the weight, at, say, 80psi on a 14pr tire, running them at 80 psi (or something reasonable, less than 110 psi max, if not needed) will no hurt the tires one bit.

oops, forgot to mention, Thanks Grit Dog. I don't think the tires will be hurt at 80 or so PSI either, my overall normal travel weight in the trailer is about 15,400 full of water, propane, food etc.
I am comfortable knowing there is enough capacity in the tires for the trailer on it's own.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

4400 lbs @ 110 psi

And contrary to what was said, unless you're pushing the "minimum" pressure for the weight, at, say, 80psi on a 14pr tire, running them at 80 psi (or something reasonable, less than 110 psi max, if not needed) will no hurt the tires one bit.

funny, I just left Discount tire to get yet another opinion on what they installed. Stated that the Goodyear comparable tire is twice the cost at around $400 per tire. Also stated that at minimum should be kept at what the tire pressure rating on the tire is, (110 psi), but as he said their store can only air up to 90 psi max. Another one of those things that make you go HMMM. Well, already bought, I will deal with it, and all should be good. the compressor I have in my tool box gets me to about 60 or 65 for emergencies, but I will look for another better one. We all have opinions and getting five different people will of course get 7 to 10 different views. my next call will be to the manufacturer, if lucky enough to get info from them.
Have a great day.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jffnkrn wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

4400 lbs @ 110 psi

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
The ST235/80-16" load E are a 80 psi tire.
The Load G Hartlands are a 110 psi rated tire.
The trailer wheels will need to have a 110 psi rating if you want to enjoy the full use of the G tires.
Running a commercial grade all steel ply carcass G 110 psi tire on a trailer at 80 psi isn't the best idea.

Hartland ST235/85-16 load G is another commercial grade tire made in china that first came out on commercial trailers in the '15 era. Like other made in china load G commercial class tire they are popular with owners of those type trailers. These tires have a 13/32" tread depth for a long miles of service life vs other ST tires with 8-9/32" of tread depth.

Check out other rv forums about Hartland commercial grade all steel ply carcass ST235/85-16 G tires. Hartland makes other size/C/D/E ST poly carcass tires so don't confuse them with the all steel ply commercial grade ST tire.

yes these are the "ALL STEEL"