cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heating the Garage

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone put a small heater (thinking about a radiator heater) in their garage. We will be spending this winter in an area that regularly sees temps in the 20's. I don't want to drain the lines every time we are away for a few nights on short excursions and don't like leaving the propane furnace on.

Opinions/ideas??
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
31 REPLIES 31

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nope but a $29.99 milkhouse heater or any of the 100 other little 1500W heaters from Walmart or Amazon will.
This was another question that I struggle to see how it is a question.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Retired JSO wrote:
If your basement has a wet bay hole for hoses, television cords, plug it up and and just use a 40 watt lightbulb in there. We were in a NC campground during the winter of 20 while our home was under construction. Had many mornings 12-15 degrees not getting above freezing all day.
Referring to the clarification, and the several clarifications of the clarification - it's clear he is not talking about the basement, he is indeed talking about the garage; and surely, a 40W light bulb will not heat the garage.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
AJR wrote:
OP said....

To clarify, I'm referring to the garage in our 5th wheel.

Thanks for clarifying his clarification.

Thanks for clarifying the clarification of his clarification! :B

Thanks, it could not be more clear........could it? LOL

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
If your basement has a wet bay hole for hoses, television cords, plug it up and and just use a 40 watt lightbulb in there. We were in a NC campground during the winter of 20 while our home was under construction. Had many mornings 12-15 degrees not getting above freezing all day.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
AJR wrote:
OP said....

Thanks for clarifying the clarification of his clarification! :B

dedmiston
AJR wrote:
OP said....

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
OP said....

2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

dedmiston
riltri wrote:

The garage is always the coldest spot in our toy hauler, even when we're running the furnace and/or the electric fireplace.

Have you thought about spreading a welder's blanket over your cases of drinks to help insulate them?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

riltri
Explorer
Explorer

I purchased a small 700W radiator heater. Ran a test last night....temp dropped to 27. I just checked and the temp is well above freezing. The drinks are cold but not close to freezing. I forgot to put insulation where the water hose comes into the garage which is the only hole I can find that needs plugging. I will continue to drain the water lines, hot water heater, all tanks and add pink to drains. But this will take care of our drinks and other liquids, which is what I want to do.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I'd heat my whole shop with a big IR gas fired heater....if it was insulated and finished inside and I had one of those heaters. Lol

Not really understanding the question...Yes many people heat their shops for different reasons, including keeping things from freezing.

My garage, with shop, is finished and fully insulated, including windows/doors. I have a Reznor overhead hanging 75K btu NG furnace. I keep stat set above freezing, all Winter.

Nothing freezes, and if I'm working in there, set temp to 60, which takes about 10 minutes to reach. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Yeah buddy!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
10 W per square foot is what I used for an average house and that might also keep the temperature above freezing if the garage is not insulated but it needs to be airtight also. Insulation and eliminating air infiltration are the best things you can do to keep heating and cooling costs down.
My garages are well insulated but I had a wood finishing job to do a couple of years ago, in the winter, so I used shipping blankets and hung a curtain around my work area and used an electric heater inside that area and it did a nice job. Try to reduce the area that you need to heat. Iโ€™d even consider building some insulated portable partitions if youโ€™re going to do that every winter. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
I'd heat my whole shop with a big IR gas fired heater....if it was insulated and finished inside and I had one of those heaters. Lol

Not really understanding the question...Yes many people heat their shops for different reasons, including keeping things from freezing.

My garage, with shop, is finished and fully insulated, including windows/doors. I have a Reznor overhead hanging 75K btu NG furnace. I keep stat set above freezing, all Winter.

Nothing freezes, and if I'm working in there, set temp to 60, which takes about 10 minutes to reach. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
You talking about an RV garage (i.e. toy hauler) or a big room where you store the RV?

There aren't any water lines in my RV garage but I put a small heater in it because WE'RE in there in the winter.

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
How about a ductless mini split system.