cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me catch up on backup cameras- for truck and trailer

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
I've never felt the need for a backup camera and so far have not owned a car new enough to come with one.

But we are about to acquire an Excursion and a hybrid and it might be nice to join the 21st century.

The perfect solution would be a backup cam on the truck that assists with hooking up the trailer and then switches to a camera on the trailer for backing it into the campsite but i'd also like to be able to switch on the camera to monitor the road behind me, like tailgaters and whatnot.

And, i want the whole thing for under $100

I could spend more if it was integrated with a android stereo/GPS

Sifting through the ads and features I think i could easily spend a lot of money and not get what i want.

I would be grateful for some direction

Thanks
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.
13 REPLIES 13

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
OP here is what I got. Works for me.

If you don't need a monitor and use your GPS (That's what I do) then this will work fine. Mine is wired up when the back up lights come on the camera comes on.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
hertfordnc wrote:

The perfect solution would be a backup cam on the truck that assists with hooking up the trailer and then switches to a camera on the trailer for backing it into the campsite but i'd also like to be able to switch on the camera to monitor the road behind me, like tailgaters and whatnot.

And, i want the whole thing for under $100

If you are willing to run wires, and plug up a connector when you hook up the trailer, what you want to do for under $100 is entirely possible, and you will have some change left over.

On ebay, search for "rear view camera for trucks". You will find many systems with two cameras, one monitor, and wiring for under $60. You may need an extender cable to have enough wiring for the trailer.

Many folks believe these cheaper systems are not good, but I have used several of these over a few years with almost no problems. If you do have a problem, a replacement camera or monitor will be less than $20.

I have not had good luck with the cheaper wireless systems, but other folks report good results. I have one of these wireless systems on my boat trailer transmitting to the tow car, and it flickers even over that short distance. I prefer hard wired cameras for good results.

Most all of the monitors allow you to select camera 1 or camera 2 from the buttons on the monitor. I prefer to not hook up the trigger wire to the backup light circuit so that you can select either camera at any time. Of course, if the trigger wire is not hooked to the backup circuit, you will then have to push a button on the monitor to see what you want to see.

Each camera will need a 12 volt source, and this can come from the truck or from wiring on the trailer.

Let us know how it works out.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a Pioneer touch screen in my MH. It has apple CarPlay as well as android. It has a backup camera input and a video input. So you can have the backup camera work as a backup camera and then switch it over to the video to see behind the trailer. Cameras can be had for around $20. The $20 camera on my Excursion was 5 years old when I sold it and still working perfectly.
I got the radio from Amazon for around $270 I belivee. It will take some labor to install it and some extra camera cord for the trailer but it will work like you want it too.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make what you want but not for the price. Does the vehicle you are buying have a back up camera? If so, the should help with hooking up the trailer. As for being on the back of your trailer, that's a different animal. They have wireless and wired units. If tied to a screen in the car then you can't use it while driving without a hack or product that allows the screen to be used while driving. Otherwise a separate screen is necessary. You might look at aftermarket stereo's with screens. Many offer options that use a camera mounted on the license plate frame.

But for $100? Good Luck.

Let us know if you find something. If you do, I would also be interested in adding one to my trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And you won't get out for $300 with the head unit and cameras. Plus you need to install yourself or add that to the tab.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Look at crutchfield for stereos. Easy to discern features and compatibility. There are models with multiple camera inputs. You'll likely pay a bit more for the specific cameras that are compatible. And have to figure out the connection to the camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

I haven't seen a car stereo that has multiple camera inputs. Do they exist? I don't know.

Furrion make a nice multi camera system, but that's all it is, is a "camera system"

And that may be the answer- it doesn't exist.

But i have seen cameras that work with existing android products. Trouble is wading through miles of geek speak from people who barely know how to drive, and think backing up a trailer is a dark art.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
hertfordnc wrote:

I don't want to drop $300 on an all in one unless i can get EVERYTHING,

- audio, google based GPS, multiple cameras, ability to add cameras etc.

I haven't seen a car stereo that has multiple camera inputs. Do they exist? I don't know.

Furrion make a nice multi camera system, but that's all it is, is a "camera system"
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Do it right and get a newer touch screen radio, then wire up a camera on the tuck and on the trailer. You ar not goin get to find a worthwhile kit for $100!

Yes, so i'm looking for specific recommendations from RV people in the same situation, (older truck)

There are lots of sub--$100 backup cameras. i don't need hi-def, just some vague idea what's back there.

I don't want to drop $300 on an all in one unless i can get EVERYTHING,

- audio, google based GPS, multiple cameras, ability to add cameras etc.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Do it right and get a newer touch screen radio, then wire up a camera on the tuck and on the trailer. You ar not goin get to find a worthwhile kit for $100!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Under $100: go to Amazon and get a backup camera, monitor and extension cord with a cig power plug. Just have to unhook one extension wire when your'e ready to unhook.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Under $100? I haven't seen a product that inexpensive.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Backup cameras on trucks and cars have been mandatory Federal safety equipment for a number of years. The โ€œnewestโ€ U.S. Excursion is 15 years old. Are you sure about this purchase and then buying a camera system?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad