cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda CR-V/Pilot

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
I am investigating purchasing an older CR-V or possibly a Pilot. The car needs to be towable without much of a hassle.

Questions
Is there a way to program out the door locking system in the CR-V? I believe the passenger door stays locked until the car is in park.

I know that Draw-Tite makes a class 3 hitch for the CRV. Can the CRV handle a Thule tray 4 bicycle rack. The total weight would be approaching 200 pounds.

Does the Pilot have the same locking system and if so, can it be programmed out?

What is the real MPG for a Pilot?

Thank you for any help.
Paul

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet

12 REPLIES 12

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a 2010 CRV as main family car and toad behind motorhome for just over a year. Nice car, works very well as a toad and, according to P.86 in my owner's manual, the automatic door locks can be reprogrammed so they do not activate. There are five pages of instructions to reprogram the locks in a variety of ways.

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
:S Had something to say but was on the wrong page!
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Big Katuna.

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could have unlocked it with the manual button.
At any rate you can reprogram the CRV locks to behave the way you want
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently being dropped off in a borrowed CR-V and was unable to exit the vehicle. Neither of us knew that the vehicle had to be in park before the passenger door would unlock. .

I have no idea why anyone would want this feature as seems like it would be dangerous if the vehicle was in an accident and had to be in park before you could exit.

The ride did make me think that the CR-V would make a nice tow vehicle. I am still researching what vehicle would suit our needs. I have not driven either the CR-V or the Pilot, but hope to next week.

Thank you for the responses.
Paul

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turns out you can't reprogram the locks on my 2011 Element.
Spent 10 minutes out there tapping the brakes, etc
Oh well.

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thank you for the responses.

Paul

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 Honda Pilot that we tow as a dinghy and a 2008 Pilot that we drive for pleasure. Our typical city mileage is 18 mpg and highway 24-26 mpg. Considering the curb wt. is 4400 lbs. and 4WD about average. Both of them ride fantastic. We liked our 2004 model so found a low mileage 2008 that was loaded and will last us forever. It takes me less than 10 min. to connect, to our MH. Our door locks are do not lock when towing, as the key is in the ignition trans in Neutral. I could lock the doors with another set of keys if I wanted but don't see the benefit. If I stop and not with the the MH, I lock the car if I am going to be away. Just follow all of Honda's procedures for towing and away you go. Simple and easy.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
AC on CR V is great.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.

Another question.

This vehicle will be in Southwest Florida for a good part of the year. How is the air-conditioning?

Paul

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 was the last year Honda approved Pilot for towing. MPH is around 20, a little higher on trips. Nice ride.

Our 2007 CRV averaged 25 and would get 30 on the highway.

There are hitches with up to 350# rating, which is that generations max tongue weight.
I carried a 225 pound Vespa often no problems. Good car.

I traded it for a 2011 Element.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Door locking is programmable. Owners manuals are online.

Norm
F1BNorm