cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I transfer my title to a new owner?

travel_fool
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a loan for our RV and have a buyer interested in purchasing it. The bank said to have him come in with us, have him give them a certified check made out to us for the whole amount of the purchase price and then we will withdraw the loan amount and pay off the loan. All good right?? Except they don't have any kind of paperwork to give the buyer stating he now owns our RV. He can get a receipt certifying our loan is paid in full but what good is that to him? He then has to wait 10 days for the title (with has our name on it) to be sent to us so we can take it to the DMV to have it transferred to him. Now we hardly know this guy and if I were him, I wouldn't go through with this sale. So what do we do?
11 REPLIES 11

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
the bank should release the lien on the title and there are spaces on the title to indicate the new owner.
bumpy

That's what we did. Ask someone else in your bank because I think it is called a Third Party Release of Lien? Can't remember.

On that form we put the new owner's name, address, phone number with specific instructions to send the title to the new owner. When the loan is paid free and clear on the account...the bank will send the Title directly to the new owner.

We also drafted a Bill of Sale both parties sign. Also go to your DMV, they have a form that you sold the vehicle and you may have to report it within 10 days.

The bank made 2 copies of every piece of paperwork so buyer and seller has a copy.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Up here in Quebec the transfer of the registration (plate/tag) is the way it is done.

travel_fool
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the helpful information. Our accountant said he would draft a letter that would suffice as a bill of sale for the buyer and the bank said they would notarize it. I hope the buyer is OK with that. Thanks again.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pay attention to the bank. They know the local law and procedures. It varies quite a bit state to state. It usually works better if buyer and seller are in the same state.

I know Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, South Carolina, Indiana, Texas in various combinations, but can't help with Illinois details. I kept my Michigan registration the six years I lived in Illinois.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
In States that require a title a Bill of Sale won't work. They won't recognize it. The bank needs to give a lien release to go with the title. The buyer can then take both of those to your DMV and transfer the title. The Bank should have their interest recorded on the title as a lien holder thus the need for a release.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the instructions from the bank's loan department.

They do this kind of stuff every day.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
Give the buyer a notarized Bill of Sale, with all the pertinent information on it, as well as any documentation from the bank. He should be able to obtain a temporary tag for the trailer, which should last until he receives the actual title. You may be able to fill out a transfer of title request, along with a copy of the Bill of Sale and send it in your state's DMV with the bank's request for title. This is just the way these things are done, so your buyer should not be surprised.If this procedure doesn't satisfy the buyer. After all, he will have the trailer and a Bill of Sale.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the bank should release the lien on the title and there are spaces on the title to indicate the new owner.
bumpy

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask his bank to handle the transaction. They should give him the assurance he needs and a receipt that you and your loan is paid.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Notorized bill of sale is all he needs in most states.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Check out escrow.com
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP