cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling RV, urgent help needed on proper process California

jeff92804
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I put my RV for sale on rvtrader. I have a cash sale pending and need to move on finalizing the sale properly. (Orange County, CA) What is the proper procedure at this point? Title is lien free. Do I take buyers to the DMV to do a transfer after payment is received? Do I need to get a smog check done for them...before or after DMV? Basically what are all of the proper steps to transfer ownership and complete the sale ASAP. And what shouuld the new owners be doing besides paying me and securing insurance? Ideally in the next two days. Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
How to make rocket science out of a bean.
Puma 30RKSS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on completing the sale....hassle free!..:C

Especially the CA DMV part!...:B

Hope the learning curve goes well for the French Tourists!..:W

~

jeff92804
Explorer
Explorer
All done...very hassle free. Thanks for advice. I went ahead and got the smog regardless knowing I would need it for myself if sale fell through. I went to DMV witht he buyers so everythign closed out fast. For payment, they met me at the bank with a big wad of hundreds. I told the teller to deposit into my savings and scanned my card, then teller went to counting machine with the buyers. I never once put my hands on the cash so if there were any counterfits, it was clearly them and not me. Still no problems. Very smooth transaction. Unfortunately they do not have much knowledge of RV's, or mechanical stuff for that matter. French tourists and did not know what a tire pressure guage was. I know my coach is in tip top shape and gave them lots of advice but boy are they green! Should be a fun summer for them if they follow my tips...one being to sign up to this forum for future advice. Thanks again for all your help over the years. I will be back in 2-3 years when we get another RV. For now I will be catching up on air travel. Good night

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Why not just call the DMV? I would think that they, more than anybody, would have all the information you need, am I not correct?

You obviously have never tried calling California DMV.:M
It was horrible before the pandemic, I'm sure it's worse now.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
fyrflie wrote:
A side note for any vehicle transfer in California.
The license plates on your registered vehicle are yours. Take them off of the vehicle and physically surrender them to the DMV. This forces the new owner to register the vehicle in their own name and in a timely matter. Simply submitting the title transfer online does not fully remove you from liability of the vehicle.
If you don’t take this step, the new owners can then operate the vehicle under your plates that are attached to your name. Toll evasion is the one issue that comes to mind but a crime committed can also wreak havoc for you.

This information was told to me by an employee at the DMV.

From the DMV website
Does the NRL (notice of transfer and release of liability) remove my name from the vehicle record?
No. Only the buyer’s application for transfer, using the endorsed title received from you, can remove your name from the vehicle record.

Per dmv.ca.gov:

Generally, license plates remain with the vehicle they were issued to. Certain types of plates (personalized environmental, special recognition, or special interest) can be reassigned to another vehicle upon request by the owner and payment of appropriate fees.

Sure, you can remove the plates, but the buyer may not be appreciative as they will not be able to legally drive the vehicle home without those plates. If you are that concerned, then go in to the dmv with the seller and do the transfer.

I was simply forwarding the information that was told to me by an actual DMV Employee when I last did a vehicle sale.
Sorry for trying to be helpful.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
This will help you.

Bill of Sale CA
RVing since 1995.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
jeff92804 wrote:
Why not just call the DMV? I would think that they, more than anybody, would have all the information you need, am I not correct?

Just for fun, try calling DMV see what you get

Maybe we're just spoiled here.

I can call the DMV and talk to a real live human within a minute or two, and never have I visited the DMV in person and had it take longer than 20 minutes from walking in the door to walking out.

I love efficiency. I guess St. Johns County Florida is the exception to the rule.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:

HOWEVER---I don't live in CA.

Wow - that says it all !!

HOWEVER---I *DO* live in Orange County, CA.

You didn't say gas or diesel. You (or the buyers) can have it smogged.
Theoretically, it's up to you. Take it to a test only station.

DMV - the buyers will pay sales tax and vehicle registration at the DMV. That is supposed to be within ten days.

Note: BE SURE you get the buyer's info (Name, address, etc.) to include on the notice of sale YOU will send to the DMV.

Blank forms available at any DMV and AAA (if you're a member).

I won't go into the "how to" part - for funds. Figure you already know that, and advice from folks from other states should apply.
(I would do same - the transfer of funds - at your bank).

Hope all goes well with your transaction!

On edit: *If* the buyer is taking the RV out of CA, there is no need to have a smog check or visit the DMV. Whatever is req'd by his home state would apply. Just make sure you notify the DMV of the sale with the new owner's non CA *residence* info. (so you are not obligated to have it smogged in CA and removed from the title).

BTW - poster in FL saying, "just call the DMV"....is hilarious, ROTFL

🙂

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
fyrflie wrote:
A side note for any vehicle transfer in California.
The license plates on your registered vehicle are yours. Take them off of the vehicle and physically surrender them to the DMV. This forces the new owner to register the vehicle in their own name and in a timely matter. Simply submitting the title transfer online does not fully remove you from liability of the vehicle.
If you don’t take this step, the new owners can then operate the vehicle under your plates that are attached to your name. Toll evasion is the one issue that comes to mind but a crime committed can also wreak havoc for you.

This information was told to me by an employee at the DMV.

From the DMV website
Does the NRL (notice of transfer and release of liability) remove my name from the vehicle record?
No. Only the buyer’s application for transfer, using the endorsed title received from you, can remove your name from the vehicle record.

Per dmv.ca.gov:

Generally, license plates remain with the vehicle they were issued to. Certain types of plates (personalized environmental, special recognition, or special interest) can be reassigned to another vehicle upon request by the owner and payment of appropriate fees.

Sure, you can remove the plates, but the buyer may not be appreciative as they will not be able to legally drive the vehicle home without those plates. If you are that concerned, then go in to the dmv with the seller and do the transfer.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sign over your title and the other required paperwork. Take your tags and don’t worry or care what the new owners do. You don’t have any liability once you do that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Just for fun, try calling DMV see what you get" Well said dude, NV DMV is just like Kalifornia DMV and this is reasons folks ask their questions on RV forums. Cheers

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
They do have the information, online. But the phone is not the way to get it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jeff92804
Explorer
Explorer

Just for fun, try calling DMV see what you get

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress