cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How High???

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of curosity, how many of you, any type rig, know exactly how high your rig is??? Or have ever actually measured it?? I keep hearing and seeing stuff about people knocking stuff off the top or tearing something up. When we first got ours, I had the dealer measure it while in his shop on a level surface. Then posted that on a sticker that is stuck on my speedometer. Have had to back out a few times, and have brushed a few limbs, but nothing that I didn't expect.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

43 REPLIES 43

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
UH YES...when we came to a low bridge once and a questionable weight limit...we have to figure it out! So we measured the height and have it posted lest husband forget. AND we figured out our weight...roughly. A must to know if you take back roads and off the beaten track.

I know my weight in pounds, but bridges are always listed in tons. Stupid metric system. :h
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
My shop door is 12'6" and the radio attennae hits about 3" from end, so I really don't want to go under anything not at least 12'6" high..

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
down home wrote:
Our CB/radio antenna is at 15'6" but it flexes supposedly.

As a kid I cut off slender weeds, like nettles, by waving a stick at high speed. Probably far less than highway speeds.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
UH YES...when we came to a low bridge once and a questionable weight limit...we have to figure it out! So we measured the height and have it posted lest husband forget. AND we figured out our weight...roughly. A must to know if you take back roads and off the beaten track.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
12' 4"

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Measured once at the factory. 13'6" is legal limit prescribed to clear underpasses and tunnels which are supposed to be 15' from road surface, minimum, from Some are still lower.
13'6" minus housing/cover.at the satellite Our CB/radio antenna is at 15'6" but it flexes supposedly.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
7/11. My one ton truck is around 7 feet and does not fit in all underground garages. My trailer is right around 11 feet.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would not go with what is in a brochure.
Options may have been added!

Any added options would only lower it though. Unless you mean that 4' high flamingo we carry on the roof.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Absolutely no idea.

Design for disaster!!...:R

~

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stock spec is 12'6". Slightly taller tires & the Correct Track system, adds a few inches. As long as I see 12'10" or higher I don't sweat it. Less than 12'6" is very seldom seen unless you want cross some covered bridges. Mostly if you see semis going the other way, you are safe.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not go with what is in a brochure.
Options may have been added!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I've not measured it. Brochure says 10'9". I figure 11'. but anything under 12 and I'm going to be real careful! No idea what that is in metrics, would be good to convert and write on the dash somewhere I suppose. Good tip!

I went through a 10'6" at curb tunnel last week, it sure looked low! I straddled the center line to be safe. ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
A funny story, or at least I thought so. I was in the hospital recently and one of my Doctors was a gun / hunting enthusiast and saw me reading a RV magazine. We hit it off and had a blast talking about both.

This is his RV story from his youth... I think he said late 70's. Anyway, his dad rented a big motorized rv for the family to take out west to visit relatives they had not seen in a while and to see the sights. The end stopping point being very hot. Basically his dad ripped the entire a/c unit off the rig on something right after they got to the destination. Mom was not happy and they had to stay in a motel the whole time. Then of course he had to pay for the damages when they returned. Says his family still laughs about NOW.

I was laughing my A-- off! and wondering just how tall is my TT? Thanks for reminding me to take that measurement.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
13' 6"