cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

News of RV sales down leading indicator to a recession.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
It's on the business news together with other signals of rate inversion, dropping freight revenues, volatile and biggest and number of one-day drops in Dow, manufacturing index...

And yet I keep on getting emails from CW if I want to sell my unit due to their low inventory.
12 REPLIES 12

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
All we can do is talk about it,....and we do.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I think a recession would be hard on the Indians who brought their families here to take my jobs and forced me into retirement, but it wouldn't be a problem for me. Maybe the prices of new RVs would go down and campgrounds may not be so crowded.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe a word the media says these days. I have other, more reliable sources. BTW the rv company I work for sold a huge number of RV's at our show this past weekend. And that's in August in triple digit heat. Media can talk all they want but the people aren't listening.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Kansas_Climber
Explorer
Explorer
The major RV retailers are still getting every trailer or motorhome they can get their hands on.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Like the market; up and down?
Jayco-noslide

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I quit watching the news completely about a year ago. I have no clue what's going on. At work, I catch a snippet on the television in the cafeteria that's always set to CNN. It will catch my attention every now and then, but it seems to always be the same old drama and sensationalism. Actually, I feel better about life, myself, my job, and my future since I stopped watching the news. Even YouTube has the sensationalism dooms-day prophets harping about all the impending bleakness. It get's to you after a while and eats away at your you, robbing you of truly enjoying life.

So ya, sales might be slumping, but it's not the end of the world, by a long shot. keep camping, be happy, and forget the sensationalism that's an attempt to keep everyone stirred up, on edge, and miserable.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
If you have been anywhere close to Elkhart and northern Indiana this summer, this should come as no surprise. The RV industry seems to take the attitude that if things are going great, we are going to produce as many hundreds of thousands of units as we can. There isn't a field or vacant lot up here that doesn't have anywhere from a few dozen to a few hundred RV's sitting on it. You wonder where they are all going. So crazy, but it has always been like this. They "make hay while the sun shines." It is only reasonable that things will have to slow down because they don't manufacture based on the economy. They manufacture because of the economy with no end game in sight. So then once they have overproduced product, they have to slow it down. No surprise there.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
A lot of "business indicator" numbers are becoming meaningless to the "average Joe" who is not a business analyst.

Did the RV sales drop compared to last year? 5 years ago? yesterday? last week?

Wouldn't it be normal for RV sales to start slowing due to the season?? Heading into late summer and fall - I always thought it was normal for RV sales to fall. In the past it was considered normal - or so I thought.

Right, like record low boat sales in january lol. "the sky is falling!" .....oh wait, the lakes are just frozen.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of "business indicator" numbers are becoming meaningless to the "average Joe" who is not a business analyst.

Did the RV sales drop compared to last year? 5 years ago? yesterday? last week?

Wouldn't it be normal for RV sales to start slowing due to the season?? Heading into late summer and fall - I always thought it was normal for RV sales to fall. In the past it was considered normal - or so I thought.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Thats funny as I responded to an ad from CW to sell my camper which I bought from them. Someone from CW in eastern mass originally engaged me, then the manager sent me an email and said no, they were full. I called CW in Kingston and just played phone tag.

Very inconsistent. Marcus needs to spend time on his home front before he buys into anymore businesses....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
This downturn has long been expected. The huge sales volume has been largely due to cheap towables, not high end big stuff. But I do agree with Bob to an extent. The media starts with the facts; then it leads to a self fulfilling prophecy, and people cut back artificially in expectation and so on...
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.